View Poll Results: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a single celled zygote is in fact an organism

    99 51.30%
  • No, a single celled zygote is not in fact an organism

    94 48.70%
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 249

Thread: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

  1. #121
    User phildozer9121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    09-18-15 @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    147

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    well thats the problem isn't it? a living "thing" means different things depent on who your asking. Obviously the average person is going to say that because a zygote will probably eventually become a baby, then the zygote too must be a living organism. Biology can't give you an answer though, just like it can say whether a virus is technically living or not. because life is so vague and can challenge our previous notions of what it is to be, there is no yes or no black or white answer. It's completely opinion. I dont see a cluster of cells spawned by a zygote to be any more an organism than the cluster of cells on the back of my hand

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phildozer9121 View Post
    <smoke and mirrors snipped for brevity> therefore since zygotes are almost identical to the somatic cells, I would argue that a zygote is most certainly NOT an organism.
    Almost identical?

    Why don't you list the differences for us?

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phildozer9121 View Post
    well thats the problem isn't it? a living "thing" means different things depent on who your asking. Obviously the average person is going to say that because a zygote will probably eventually become a baby, then the zygote too must be a living organism. Biology can't give you an answer though, just like it can say whether a virus is technically living or not. because life is so vague and can challenge our previous notions of what it is to be, there is no yes or no black or white answer. It's completely opinion. I dont see a cluster of cells spawned by a zygote to be any more an organism than the cluster of cells on the back of my hand
    Is an amoeba and organism, Phil?

    Also, (per your first remark) are zygotes alive,... and if not,.. please explain to the rest of us how something like a human child can come from something that isn't even alive.

    You say you are studying Cellular Biology in Illinois?

    You might want to review some of your high school classes on the subject before your embarass yourself any further.

    Embryology
    The study of the development of the ZYGOTE is called EMBRYOLOGY. The zygote gets its instructions for its growth from the DNA that it inherits from its parents. Zygotes are living organisms and, therefore, must obtain oxygen and food and eliminate wastes. The manner in which the zygote reads the instructions from the DNA is not understood, though EMBRYONIC INDUCTION, a phenomenon in which tissues influence the differentiation of adjoining cells, has been demonstrated in many species.

    Course author: Caroline D. Cantrell, B.S., The University of Chicago, M.S. Memphis State University, Tennessee Merit System, Career Ladder III
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 01-28-10 at 01:05 AM.

  4. #124
    User phildozer9121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    09-18-15 @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    147

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Good call chuz, I forgot that Caroline D. Cantrell, B.S., The University of Chicago, M.S. Memphis State University, Tennessee Merit System, Career Ladder III and her review website was the ultimate authority on biology now. would you call the handlebars of a bike a bike? no. if you bought all the parts for a bike and wanted to assemble them into a bike, you certainly wouldn't say that the pile of parts you're looking at is a bike, but then at what point in construction do you think, "there, now that's a bike". I'm sure you have an agenda that depends on calling a zygote a living organism, but biologists dont come straight out and call a zygote an organism because it's just not clear cut.

    And yes, I am a biology student at Illinois, thank you for asking.

    What do you do?
    Haha. Panty Hawk. I would watch that show.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    shocked2 Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phildozer9121 View Post
    Good call chuz, I forgot that Caroline D. Cantrell, B.S., The University of Chicago, M.S. Memphis State University, Tennessee Merit System, Career Ladder III and her review website was the ultimate authority on biology now. would you call the handlebars of a bike a bike? no. if you bought all the parts for a bike and wanted to assemble them into a bike, you certainly wouldn't say that the pile of parts you're looking at is a bike, but then at what point in construction do you think, "there, now that's a bike". I'm sure you have an agenda that depends on calling a zygote a living organism, but biologists dont come straight out and call a zygote an organism because it's just not clear cut.

    And yes, I am a biology student at Illinois, thank you for asking.

    What do you do?
    You didn't answer my question,... how does a human child come from something that is not alive?

    Secondly, do you not see how desperate and pathetic it looks that you have to discredit and ridicule sources rather than to refute them?

    As far as what I do?

    I'm just a punk ass college student looking for free _ _ _ _ from the gubmint and looking forward to my Obummer care medical benefits!

  6. #126
    User phildozer9121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    09-18-15 @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    147

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Let me ask you, are sperm cells and egg cells alive?

    If they aren't, then according to you, a living zygote comes from two non living things.

    If they are alive, where did they come from?

    More cells? where did they come from? Are they alive?

    If cells are the building blocks of all life, where did the first cell come from?

    You're trying to get an answer from science that isn't defined that way. Youre asking what number is half of infinity. It's not something that can be answered because it's not defined like that
    Haha. Panty Hawk. I would watch that show.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phildozer9121 View Post
    Let me ask you, are sperm cells and egg cells alive?

    If they aren't, then according to you, a living zygote comes from two non living things.

    If they are alive, where did they come from?

    More cells? where did they come from? Are they alive?

    If cells are the building blocks of all life, where did the first cell come from?

    You're trying to get an answer from science that isn't defined that way. Youre asking what number is half of infinity. It's not something that can be answered because it's not defined like that
    Uhhh No.

    It doesn't work like that,...

    I am not about to help you dodge my questions by answering yours.

  8. #128
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    a single celled zygote is an organism, even if it is a single cell.

    from wiki
    The cell is the basic structural and functional unit of all known living organisms. It is the smallest unit of life that is classified as a living thing, and is often called the building block of life. Some organisms, such as most bacteria, are unicellular (consist of a single cell). Other organisms, such as humans, are multicellular.

  9. #129
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud
    a single celled zygote is an organism, even if it is a single cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds wiki article
    Other organisms, such as humans, are multicellular.
    Contradiction?

    [quote=chuz]I am not about to help you dodge my questions by answering yours.[/wuote]It looked like the answers to his questions exposed the answer to yours...
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    Contradiction?

    Quote Originally Posted by chuz
    I am not about to help you dodge my questions by answering yours.
    It looked like the answers to his questions exposed the answer to yours...
    Have you had your eyes checked?

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •