View Poll Results: Should schools have firewalls

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 76.92%
  • No

    12 18.46%
  • I don't care

    3 4.62%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 134

Thread: Should School computers have firewalls?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    haha who reads anymore?
    Intelligent people.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    no doubt, those are additional factors, but that they also exist does not disprove my assertion
    Your assertion is a rounding error to the major causes which are funding, class size, and home life.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    actually, it is very much on topic. as i shared previously, my kids' work assignments and course work for their AP classes were web based. no access to the web, no opportunity to take the classes
    You don't have to offer it online. It's not on topic, you think that all schools do it online? Furthermore, it shouldn't be offered online if it can't be made available to everyone. The thing is some people (more well to do and middle class) got computers and then we're like Oh look, AP is online now. But I took AP classes...they weren't online. It doesn't have to be done online. And you can't rightfully offer it online exclusive if you can't cover everyone. Make the class, take it there.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    if your presention had any relationship to reality, then there would be no reason for any computer to reside within a school room. but we know that is not the case
    There is very little reason for any computer to reside within a school room. Teachers can use it for lecture, but there really is not a need, especially if it's going to start exaserbating existing problems with proper education of inner city children.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    my wife is a retired teacher. i was an active tutor and my job caused me to have reason to interact with school systems across the state. i will agree with you to this point. the smart kids are smarter than ever. but a generation or two back, there were as many slow kids as smart kids and the great majority were average students. it seems now the slow kids are in the majority
    I teach and tutor at the University level. Kids are dumbasses. In part because they are taught to be reliant upon the computer. They can't think for themselves. It's all A, B, C, or D. They can't think about problems well anymore. Why should they learn when they can wiki anything instead. We're just making more stupid people. It's time to stop. A calculator is about as much as you need in high school for science and math. A word processor for written assignments; that's really it. And that's true for early University too. Unless you're pursuing a substantial degree like science or math.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    that's great. obviously, while rural, they had two things that many other kids do not: parental support and economic sufficiency to cover their transportation needs. not so true for many of the underclass - those i have been speaking about
    Library. If you're saying that people can't get their kids a bit later cause they went to the library after school; then it's a pretty ridiculous argument. In rural areas, you've got a car. Maybe you can't be running back and forth all day long, but a little planning and you don't have to. This whole "everyone needs a computer" thing is bull****. You're trying to say these poor people living in the rural area apparently have the money for a computer and internet connection but not to pick their kids up from town. And if they don't have the money for the computer and internet connection, then this is even more against YOUR argument. In that, we should be removing some of the online exclusivity that apparently has been placed into the system. It's unfair to the poor!

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    for some, you would be correct
    but what about the many who are not lazy but are denied opportunities thru no fault of their own; does it not bother you that we are wasting their potential?
    Who's potential? the one that can't afford the computer and thus can't take the AP course because you refuse to allow a class and will instead make it online only thus requiring people to have computers and internet? That sort of thing? Or my thing which says there's a library and everyone can use it and research well enough so long as the proper classes are made available to everyone such that one isn't necessarily dependent upon technology they can't afford?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #53
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Are computers necessary in the classroom?

    50 years ago? No. Today? I think so... [Ikari]

    The curriculum changes, and should do so appropriately as to adapt to the changing circumstances we live in. As a student, you wont be able to survive in college without any type of exposure to a word processor or to internet browsing. Hell, just to be able to conduct an advanced search on a database would get you pretty far.

    IMO, the problem isn't that computers are making kids dumber or lazier. The kids just haven't been properly exposed to the academic uses of the computer, they haven't been trained correctly (teacher's fault I suppose). They go home and they play games or socialize on the computer, they don't really go on there for studying. A lot of my students tell me that once they get home, the first thing they do is check facebook or myspace. It's their routine.

    The solution is not to force the student to learn without the computer, but instead make them aware and understand that the computer can be used efficiently in the academic sphere. There's been a lot of teachers who are beginning to integrate technology with their pedagogy, as have I.

    One of my ideas, which I am most proud of , is having my students create a short video for their projects. They should use video editing software, which I can show them where to download for free if they don't have any, usually the ones with Macs already have them. The students who post on YouTube definitely have them already. The video itself can come in the form of a short film, a news report, dramatization, or documentary style, or whatever they can come up with. It's quite amazing. One year I had a group of students who made a music video. It wouldn't surprise me (anymore) if one year I get a group of students who created an computer animated film.

    The research that they do for this project usually turns out pretty good. My (non-scientific) explanation is that they were enjoying the work that they were doing and didn't mind the researching. Motivation I think is key. And computers can be used as a huge motivational boost. I think it's useless to fight against the use of computers, as it's going to be part of our lifestyles as the TV became part of our lifestyles in the 30s.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 01-22-10 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  4. #54
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iwa View Post
    Yes with taking off the internet blocker you will definately see who is and who isnt a productive student. with the blockwers it makes projects harder for students to do with 90% of things on google blocked and it is a disadvantage to students who dont have access at home or are not close to a library.
    So, basically, you're a kid whining about school policy.

    There's a reason why school policies are set by adults, and not kids.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #55
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    So, basically, you're a kid whining about school policy.

    There's a reason why school policies are set by adults, and not kids.
    ok, enough suspense

    what is that reason?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #56
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ok, enough suspense

    what is that reason?
    For the same reason the parents, not the kids, make the rules.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #57
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    For the same reason the parents, not the kids, make the rules.
    still waiting for the reason
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #58
    Advisor Iwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Illinois. I wish i lived in a Socialist country.
    Last Seen
    04-25-11 @ 04:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    443

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    So, basically, you're a kid whining about school policy.

    There's a reason why school policies are set by adults, and not kids.
    my policy is: Rules are made to be broken or there wouldnt have to be rules.
    It's not rape if you scream "SURPRISE" first.

  9. #59
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    still waiting for the reason
    If it's not obvious, there's not much point in saying it. I do hope you're not serious.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,010

    Re: Should School computers have firewalls?

    Because kids, in a general and broad sense, are more worried about immediete satisfaction and what will make them happy, then, with a weakened ability to have a long term view of situation due to lack of life experience and first hand scope. Children are also generally more prone to be impulsive about what they want then adults are and many have a general laxed care about the importance of school. Generally kids are going to be more likely to care about their enjoyment and entertainment moreso than perhaps their growth and development.

    Parents, on the other hand, generally are more worried about the long term scope of things for their children and their well being more than their enjoyment. Their life experience and understanding of the scope that ones educational experience can have on their life tend to have a better grasp of its importance. They will tend to make rules that are more in line with creating the best atmosphere for intellectual growth and development then what brings the quickest instance gratification of enjoyment.

    Is this an absolute truth or rule? Absolutely not. There are some parents that won't give a damn about their kids. There are some kids that absolutely are mature for their age. But on average the difference between the two is there.

    I can tell you as my experience as a teacher if given a class of 30 kids a choice of what they want to do....play a game that, while has some benefits, is mostly useless in the development of the skills and abilities they're suposed to be learning or perform activities that directly practice the skills and abilities they're there to learn but are somewhat less immedietely entertaining and generally are harder....the majority of those kids would scream for the game each and every time.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •