View Poll Results: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Banning or limiting discrimination based on preexisting conditions, gender, and age

    6 21.43%
  • Ending the "lifetime maximums" on health insurance policies

    4 14.29%
  • Requiring all Americans to purchase health insurance, with exemptions for the poor

    3 10.71%
  • Increased assistance to help the poor purchase insurance plans

    9 32.14%
  • Eliminating the antitrust exemption for health insurance companies

    10 35.71%
  • Taxing some/all health insurance benefits as regular income

    4 14.29%
  • None of the above

    14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The health care reform bill, as it stands, is probably dead unless Nancy Pelosi can pull a miracle out of her ass and convince the House Democrats to approve the Senate bill. The fallback option is to break it up and pass some of the more popular provisions piecemeal. So I am curious to see which of these ideas you Republicans/conservatives might be inclined to support:

    Banning or limiting discrimination based on preexisting conditions, gender, and age
    Ending the "lifetime maximums" on health insurance policies
    Requiring all Americans to purchase health insurance, with exemptions for the poor
    Increased assistance to help the poor purchase insurance plans
    Eliminating the antitrust exemption for health insurance companies
    Taxing some/all health insurance benefits as regular income
    We need some tort reform, price caps on medications and appliances, allow folks to buy plans across state lines, and a standardized across-the-board tax credit so people can go out and buy their own private policies.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    I would start cutting corners. I know that sounds bad, at to some extent it is, but we must stop offering such high quality care to so many people. In countries across the globe they have the choice between service and cost. Some hospitals are of quality that would not pass in the US, but they also offer cheaper services. Singapore, for instance, has offered tiered quality; with private at the top and government on the bottom. I believe something similiar could happen if we lessen restrictions. If we have different levels of care for different prices.

    Along with that we should axe large "state mandates," lower FDA requirements, tort reform and end state monopolies. But those, I believe, are all side issues.

  3. #13
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Get rid of HMO and PPO mandates, and offer catastrophic coverage.
    What HMO and PPO mandates?
    I agree with you about catastrophic coverage. I think we need to move more toward a system focused on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie
    Stop coverage for medications and Dr's office visits.
    I disagree with these. Medications/treatment should all be part of the same thing IMO. Medicines can be very expensive too. As for doctor's visits...I agree that catastrophic plans are better, but I'd prefer plans that offered at least a couple free checkups per year. That will probably save costs in the long run.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie
    require that fees charged by all medical providers were posted for puclic knowledge.
    I agree with this. I think there should be a public database available online where you could search exactly how much different services cost, so that you could shop around. And needless to say, I'd break up the health care trusts that keep the costs artificially high.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie
    TORT reform.
    Agreed.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #14
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I'm not sure what is meant by ending "discrimination" based on age, preexisting conditions, etc....
    Denying people coverage and/or charging them more because they have a preexisting condition or because they're old or because they're female.

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler
    Insurance, by definition, is the transfer of risk. If a segment of a population increases the risk an insurance company must assume(be it by old age, pre-existing conditions etc...) then the insurance company must be able to(in order to stay in business and employ people) recoup those losses through increased premium rates.
    The idea of insurance is risk-sharing. They could charge everyone the same rate...it just means the healthy will pay a little more and the sick will pay a little less. This would enable people who need insurance the most to get it, it would spread the cost of health care out throughout one's life (thus reducing uncertainty in terms of how much to save for old age), and it would reduce the amount of medical-related bankruptcies.

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler
    Also, removing lifetime limits on insurance policies is a bad idea, because you have essentially turned the risk into an infinite risk. How do you charge for the transfer of risk that has no ceiling or limit? By charging an infinite amount? Even the combined power of Bush and Obama couldn't print that much money(although Chuck Norris has done it.....twice.)
    It's not an infinite risk just because there's no cap. The actuaries could still figure out how much their total outlays would be in an average year, and price their policies accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler
    I might go along with a provision that makes it illegal for insurance companies to drop somebody when they develop a disease(its actually illegal to terminate mid policy-term already, I'm talking at renewal). But it would entail a couple of provisions like once the maximum limit of the policy is reached, the contract is expired(as it normally is) and that insurance companies be able to charge a reflective premium amount for the new amount of risk they are assuming. Also, I would rather this "provision" be handled at the state levels, and not by federal mandate.
    The maximum limits don't really reduce premiums much. Most consumers just ignore them because they're considered to be a low-risk probability. The only reason they exist is because the insurance companies know they can get away with it and don't want to pay out a lot of money, which is what they're in business to do.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-21-10 at 12:50 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #15
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What HMO and PPO mandates?
    I agree with you about catastrophic coverage. I think we need to move more toward a system focused on that.
    Congressional mandates from the mid-70's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post

    I disagree with these. Medications/treatment should all be part of the same thing IMO. Medicines can be very expensive too. As for doctor's visits...I agree that catastrophic plans are better, but I'd prefer plans that offered at least a couple free checkups per year. That will probably save costs in the long run.
    If patients were responsible for their own costs of meds and visits, the costs of these would come down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I agree with this. I think there should be a public database available online where you could search exactly how much different services cost, so that you could shop around. And needless to say, I'd break up the health care trusts that keep the costs artificially high.
    Yes- put the responsibility of health care cost consciousness in the mind of the one utilizinig it, and it will naturally be more competitive.

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    If patients were responsible for their own costs of meds and visits, the costs of these would come down.
    I realize that, but I don't see why meds should be any different than any other treatment. Say you get a catastrophic plan that covers 0% of your first $X and everything beyond that. Why not just incorporate both treatment and meds in the same plan?

    As for routine visits, my thought is that if people get at least a couple free checkups per year, they'll be more likely to use them and therefore more likely to catch problems before they become expensive. But I agree that all other expenses should be paid for by the consumer, until you get into the realm of catastrophe.

    I think mandating a couple free checkups is one area that the government definitely needs to be involved, because the insurance companies will never coordinate this on their own. If they all assume that their customers are likely to be using a different plan with a different company 5-10 years down the road, they don't have any incentive to provide preventative care. It'll result in a continuation of our "sick care" system. It's a classic prisoner's dilemma: All of the health insurance companies would save money if they all offered preventative care...but none of them want to be the sucker that does it on their own.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie
    Yes- put the responsibility of health care cost consciousness in the mind of the one utilizinig it, and it will naturally be more competitive.
    Agreed.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No thread is complete without over the top rhetoric.
    He's absolutely right in the sense that if you believe health care is a "right," then that means every person is entitled to the services of a health care provider. If the government reduces its reimbursement rates below what providers are willing to accept, then the only way to ensure that people are able to exercise their "right" to health care is to use the law to force health care providers to give them service, whether through pro bono licensing requirements or government-imposed qualifications that must be met to practice.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  8. #18
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    I voted subsidize some of the poor and tax all/some benefits as income.

    I'm leery about the non-discrimination requirement and the lifetime cap requirement for the reasons that WI Crippler mentioned, I don't like the mandate for plenty of reasons, and I honestly haven't seen anything that would indicate that the antitrust exemption is anything other than a tiny issue being hyped to score political points.

    I don't see a problem with subsidizing some of the poor, though not as generously as either of the bills being proposed. As a nation, we need to realize that thanks to our abhorrent lifestyle choices and our sense of entitlement in regards to quality of care, health care is expensive as **** and will be that way for the foreseeable future. Rather than act all outraged when they're expected to spend 10% of their income on insurance, people should fully expect to spend 15-20%. I've got no problem helping out people for whom this would be a true burden, but I think it's absolutely absurd to be handing out $10k subsidies to families of 4 making $60k while the family only pays $5k, as would happen under the Senate bill.

    As to taxing the benefits as income, I'm surprised more people didn't pick this. It seems like the most logical way to reduce overall spending while simultaneously getting rid of a tax break that just skews economic incentives.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #19
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    He's absolutely right in the sense that if you believe health care is a "right," then that means every person is entitled to the services of a health care provider. If the government reduces its reimbursement rates below what providers are willing to accept, then the only way to ensure that people are able to exercise their "right" to health care is to use the law to force health care providers to give them service, whether through pro bono licensing requirements or government-imposed qualifications that must be met to practice.
    ...except that whole argument is premised on the idea that someone in this thread believes health care is a "right." He was the first one to bring that up...it certainly has nothing to do with the OP.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #20
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Republicans/conservatives: Which of these health care reforms would you support?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    ...except that whole argument is premised on the idea that someone in this thread believes health care is a "right." He was the first one to bring that up...it certainly has nothing to do with the OP.
    Well, if you want to be all picky about it...
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •