View Poll Results: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 17.14%
  • No

    41 58.57%
  • Other

    11 15.71%
  • You are just a blue-collar elitist, Tucker

    15 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 187

Thread: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

  1. #61
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    Well in my experience owning a truck guarantees that you will be helping friends move, pick up stuff they bought, etc, etc.
    This is true. One of the reasons I moved to a van... never thought I'd drive one, but it beats the hell out of a sedan with NO room or the friends that need a 'truck friend' dilemma. I didn't use my truck for work, either. I had it because I like driving trucks. Sue me.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  2. #62
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    This is true. One of the reasons I moved to a van... never thought I'd drive one, but it beats the hell out of a sedan with NO room or the friends that need a 'truck friend' dilemma. I didn't use my truck for work, either. I had it because I like driving trucks. Sue me.
    I own a truck and not only does it resemble Tucker's description of a "real truck" but I only drive it to "do real work in" which more and more of late, means helping friends move or pick up the ginormous flat screen they bought thinking would fit in their Prius. They said they picked my truck becasue it is a hybrid (ethanol Ford Ranger). Lucky me.

    Someone backed into the tailgate recently denting it real good. I thought it matched the white paint peeling from the hood real well and complemented the small Millennium Falcon I have hanging from the rear view mirror. She might not look like much but she has got it where it counts.

  3. #63
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    I own a truck and not only does it resemble Tucker's description of a "real truck" but I only drive it to "do real work in" which more and more of late, means helping friends move or pick up the ginormous flat screen they bought thinking would fit in their Prius. They said they picked my truck becasue it is a hybrid (ethanol Ford Ranger). Lucky me.

    Someone backed into the tailgate recently denting it real good. I thought it matched the white paint peeling from the hood real well and complemented the small Millennium Falcon I have hanging from the rear view mirror. She might not look like much but she has got it where it counts.
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that and the Prius comment. Extra points for that reference.

    I used to drive an old, beat all to hell Chevy Suburban. I lovingly named it the "lead sled" and I think I got 4mpg.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  4. #64
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I actually laughed out loud when I read that and the Prius comment. Extra points for that reference.

    I used to drive an old, beat all to hell Chevy Suburban. I lovingly named it the "lead sled" and I think I got 4mpg.
    Had a 450 Silverrado in High School, got about that same MPG................

  5. #65
    Educator
    ScummyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    06-09-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?
    I don't know. But mocking a guy because he drives a truck, as Obama did to Brown, is certainly not a sign of being a man of the people.

  6. #66
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'd love to see your suggested car then to tow an extremely large boat on a weekly basis. How is towing stuff on a regular basis not the intended purpose of a truck, whose partial selling feature is the ability to tow stuff?
    See, this is a semantics difference. I view towing as making the truck do work, i.e. using it as a tool.

    I see play as some goof ball going dune hopping.

    Towing a boat = work (in a physics sense) = intended purpose

    Driving on the neighbors lawn = play = not intended purpose.

    But owning a boat doesn't really make someone a man of the people.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #67
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScummyD View Post
    I don't know. But mocking a guy because he drives a truck, as Obama did to Brown, is certainly not a sign of being a man of the people.
    I think he was mocking the way that owning a truck was being used as a sign that he's a man of the people. I don't think that's a sign of anything more than finding the whole "he drives a truck, he's like us" thing ridiculous, which equals it being a sign of intelligence.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #68
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    Well in my experience owning a truck guarantees that you will be helping friends move, pick up stuff they bought, etc, etc.
    That doesn't happen so much when the truck is covered in ****.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #69
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Now, I'm bringing this up because of the big deal that has been apparently made about Senator Brown's truck. It's not about his politics, it's about the fact that this truck was made into a symbol of him being "folksy".

    I was a construction worker for 11 years and owned trucks and work vans which were used for their intended purpose.

    Now, my view is that when someone owns a pickup who doesn't use it for real work (i.e. not helping your friends move every now and then or driving to their "job", but as a tool utilized while pursuing a career in a field where they actually work for a living.) they are just using the truck as a fashion accessory to try and look "cool".

    A real truck is dented. It's got **** all over it... a bit of concrete hardened in the bed, dirt and stray nails rolling around int eh bed as well.

    It gets used as a truck, not as an oddly shaped car. It's got a bunch of empty coffee cups on the dashboard from the cold days when you take your coffee breaks inside of it to stay warm.

    To me, a truly "folksy" person doesn't use a truck as an accessory, because they've had to use it for it's intended purpose. Which is work.

    IMO, a pickup truck with 200,000 miles that isn't covered in ****, dented to hell and gone, but still plugging away doing it's intended job is a sign that the owner of said truck is the exact opposite of being "folksy". It's a sign of being a white collar person who thinks he or she will look really "cool" if they drive a truck. It's superficial.

    Now, there's nothing wrong with that. If people want to look cool, that's their business. But I can't ****ing stand the fact that this purely superficial attemtp to look cool is being portrayed as a sign that the superficial person trying to look cool is some sort of a "man of the people".

    Most of the people I know who use or have used trucks and vans for their intended purposes feel the same way.

    But my opinion on this is clearly biased by my own experiences. I want to know what people think of the general idea about people pretending to be blue-collar as a reflection on them as a man of the people, not about Senator Brown's politics.

    So what do you guys think? Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?
    So your point is that Brown is not a real man, because he just drives around Massachusetts in a truck. It couldn't be that he just happened to own a truck and was using it for transportations. He likely didn't have enough coffee cups on the dash or beer cans in the bed for you. Well it's all irrelevant because he just put his foot up Obamas ass, and took Teddy's seat away from the Democrats. I don't think Teddy owned a truck, but his gardener probably owned one. The gardener was probably a real man cause he had dirt laying in the back.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #70
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is owning a pickup truck a sign of being a "man of the people"?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So your point is that Brown is not a real man, because he just drives around Massachusetts in a truck. It couldn't be that he just happened to own a truck and was using it for transportations. He likely didn't have enough coffee cups on the dash or beer cans in the bed for you. Well it's all irrelevant because he just put his foot up Obamas ass, and took Teddy's seat away from the Democrats. I don't think Teddy owned a truck, but his gardener probably owned one. The gardener was probably a real man cause he had dirt laying in the back.
    No, my point is that he's not really a "man of the people" for the simple fact that he drives a truck.

    His political stances are what is irrelevant.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •