View Poll Results: What goverment service that benefits you would you give up?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Military

    15 23.08%
  • Infrastructure, such as federal highways

    15 23.08%
  • Scientific Research or Agencies such as NOAA

    12 18.46%
  • Education

    32 49.23%
  • Homeland Security / Law Enforcement (FBI)

    23 35.38%
  • Court System

    8 12.31%
  • Federal Reserve

    27 41.54%
  • Regulatory Agencies such as the FDA or NIST

    29 44.62%
  • Cultural Grants

    45 69.23%
  • Earmarks for your state or county

    49 75.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 108 of 108

Thread: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Wow!!!!!!!... you actually said something I agree with!
    Scary ... I know!


  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Overpaid? They are tasked with overseeing a government in charge of 300 million people, and you think a couple hundred thousand dollars is too much?

    The fact is that Congress already has plenty of millionaires. If you eliminate the salary, it would basically eliminate the possibility of anyone who ISN'T rich becoming a lawmaker. It would also further drain the talent pool, as smart people would prefer to make money in the private sector instead of serving the public.

    And needless to say, while it might feel good to do it, the effect on the size of government would be approximately nil.
    The problem is that this isn't a monarchy or a nation where the president has supreme power. So no he or she doesn't rule 300million people and no they are not in charge of us.

    WE are in charge of them.

    And really it's not only the senators and congressman and women that are being paid too much for a job well done<---that was sarcasm. It's the fact that there are one to many government employees getting a better salary and pension then the private market employees do and that causes a problem.

  3. #103
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by stalin_was_a_nice_being View Post
    The problem is that this isn't a monarchy or a nation where the president has supreme power. So no he or she doesn't rule 300million people and no they are not in charge of us.

    WE are in charge of them.
    I'm not sure what your point is...I don't "rule" my company, I work for it. Yet my company still pays me a salary.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalin_was_a_nice_being
    And really it's not only the senators and congressman and women that are being paid too much for a job well done<---that was sarcasm. It's the fact that there are one to many government employees getting a better salary and pension then the private market employees do and that causes a problem.
    There are very few government employees who earn a higher salary than they could in the private sector. Certainly not the ones in Congress.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is...I don't "rule" my company, I work for it. Yet my company still pays me a salary.
    Yeah, so you work for the nation? No. You work because you have to survive because the leader(president) is not going to feed you nor should he we don't live that type of nation. We eat what we are worth.

    There are very few government employees who earn a higher salary than they could in the private sector. Certainly not the ones in Congress.
    That is just not true. There are many teachers who earn over a 100grand just for teaching and they get 70% of their highest salary as pension. There are one too many high earners in government, especially for jobs that are menial at best.

  5. #105
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by stalin_was_a_nice_being View Post
    Yeah, so you work for the nation? No. You work because you have to survive because the leader(president) is not going to feed you nor should he we don't live that type of nation. We eat what we are worth.
    I really have no idea what you're trying to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalin_was_a_nice_being
    That is just not true. There are many teachers who earn over a 100grand just for teaching and they get 70% of their highest salary as pension.
    100K is hardly the norm for teachers. And at any rate, that wouldn't necessarily be unreasonable in the private sector for a college graduate with 30+ years of experience in their job. No one becomes a teacher because they think it pays well.

    Quote Originally Posted by stalin_was_a_nice_being
    There are one too many high earners in government, especially for jobs that are menial at best.
    There are a few. But at any rate, Congress is hardly a menial job.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #106
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    I picked federal education, homeland security, Federal Reserve, regulatory agencies, cultural grants, and earmarks.
    I would add a side note; I agree that we should end all foreign military aid.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I don't agree with Oftencold very much, but he's right in this case. Think about what the world would look like without the US military. Not a pretty picture.
    Some of those obligations are obsolete. We have too many military bases abroad and too much forward presence. If we slowly reduced our foreign presence by about 10% it wouldn't affect global stability in the least. Regional stability, perhaps, but that shouldn't be our concern. And if you think it should be our concern, you're more than welcome to risk your own life "stabilizing" foreign countries.

  8. #108
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What would you be willing to give up to reduce the size of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Some of those obligations are obsolete. We have too many military bases abroad and too much forward presence. If we slowly reduced our foreign presence by about 10% it wouldn't affect global stability in the least.
    I certainly agree that there are places where we have plenty of troops that we don't need. Germany, Iraq, and Cuba come to mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    Regional stability, perhaps, but that shouldn't be our concern.
    Depends on the region. In some places it is very much our concern, due to our trade/security ties with certain nations or the risks posed by rogue regimes or lawless places.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    And if you think it should be our concern, you're more than welcome to risk your own life "stabilizing" foreign countries.
    I'd rather pay someone else to do it for me in the form of taxes.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •