View Poll Results: Do you largely agree with Dr. Sowell

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Libs: Yes, I agree

    0 0%
  • Libs: No, I don't agree

    0 0%
  • Republicans: Yes, I agree

    4 50.00%
  • Repubicans: No, I don't agree

    0 0%
  • Independents: Yes, I agree

    2 25.00%
  • Independents: No, I don't agree

    2 25.00%
  • Progressives/Moderates:Yes, I agree

    0 0%
  • Progressives/Moderates: No, I don't agree

    0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 56 of 56

Thread: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

  1. #51
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    He uses Chomsky as an example. A linguist (which is a social science) who is talking about politics and sociology (which are also social sciences) as though he's an expert in these fields when he's really just an expert linguist. Sowell apparently denounces Chomsky for this.

    Let's look at it thoroughly, though.

    Sowell is an economist (which is a social science) who is talking about politics and sociology (which are also social sciences) as though he's an expert in these fields when he's really just an expert economist. But apparently it's OK for Sowell to do this in Sowell's way of thinking.

    Regardless of whether or not people agree with Sowell, it's obviously hypocritical of him to take such a stance or to even write such a book.
    The book is about intellectuals forcing public policy when they shouldn't. The effects of public policy are largely within the realm of an economist
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #52
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    The book is about intellectuals forcing public policy when they shouldn't. The effects of public policy are largely within the realm of an economist
    Only economic policy is within the realm of an economist. He's not limiting his argument to economic policies i.e. policies within his realm.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    The book is about intellectuals forcing public policy when they shouldn't. The effects of public policy are largely within the realm of an economist
    Economics is largely a made up subject. The actual systems are well entangled and complicated. There's a reason why mathematicians and physicists make the "best" economists.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #54
    Advisor Rassales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    564

    Re: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yes. He is an intellectual, but not cut from the Socialist cloth, like the masses of them infesting our halls of acedemia like roaches in a bad restaurant. Sowell actually admires America. Treasures her. Sees greatness in her. THAT is an enormous difference to the mass of his colleagues.
    So he's a GOOD intellectual because he aligns himself with the correct set of prejudices. Glad to see you understand the nature of the term "intellectual" so well.

  5. #55
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    381

    Re: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I noticed, for one thing, that he didn't cite a single person like "Dr." Savage or "Dr." Laura, conservative talk hosts who use a title they earned in entirely unrelated work to appear more expert than the listener on the subjects they address.
    So what is your argument? That people who worked hard for their Ph.D.s should only use the title "Dr." when working in their respective field? If that's your argument. Sorry, but it is inane.

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    An anti-intellectual intellectual? That'd be a silly, self-hating philosophy. Like Black conservatism. Reconciling labor and capital eh, doc? Good luck with that one.
    The people who hate themselves are black people that adhere to liberalism. How black people can routinely and unthinkingly vote for the Democrat Party (the party of the KKK and Bull Connor etc...) is beyond me.

  6. #56
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Dr. Sowell Intellectuals and Society

    Economics is how people will respond to certain incentives. It's not just inflation, monetary policy ect. While not exactly sociology, there is a significant overlap
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •