View Poll Results: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 33.33%
  • no

    25 43.86%
  • other/maybe

    13 22.81%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 174

Thread: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

  1. #61
    Advisor Regicollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-09-10 @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    318

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    While I would not like to own a gun myself I see no problem in hunters and marksmen having guns, provided they store and use them responsibly.

    I am sympathetic to the idea of teaching gun safety in the schools, especially in a society that insists on having guns everywhere. However I also see some problems with this. Adding a new subject to the curriculum will take away time and money from other subjects. In the current financial and economic crisis adding a new economic burden on schools or taking time away from other subjects might not be the best idea. Furthermore many people will never feel the desire to own a gun.

    But gun safety is too important to leave to people themselves to find out along the way. I think a more fair approach would be requiring passing a test in gun safety before you could legally own a firearm. It would be no different from having to pass a test to be allowed to drive a car. And just like we demand a driver's license in order to avoid irresponsible drivers we should demand a gun license in order to to avoid irresponsible gun owners.
    The poor complain; they always do
    But thatís just idle chatter
    Our system brings reward to all
    At least all those who matter.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Do you have some statistics on this? Particularly accidental firearm use by children?
    No, but it's a rational assumption. People who are not familiarized with firearms are more likely to negligently discharge them.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Almost everyone is likely to have sex at some point in their lives...and there is a very good chance they'll do so before they finish school. A lot of people in urban environments grow up in homes where there are no guns, thus making firearm training a waste of time.
    Almost all real Americans handle guns at some time in their lives.

    What's your point? That because some unAmerican people won't see guns doesn't mean they shouldn't be taught gun safety?

    Explain, in detail, how your system KNOWS who will and who will not encounter an unattended firearm at some point in their lives.

    This has gotta be good. We're waiting.

  4. #64
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No, but it's a rational assumption. People who are not familiarized with firearms are more likely to negligently discharge them.
    Absolutely...I just don't see how that translates into urban kids being more likely to negligently discharge them than rural kids. It depends entirely on the numbers you assume for what percentage of kids in each environment are exposed to firearms, what percentage are adequately trained, what percentage of those who aren't trained will accidentally discharge them, and what percentage of those who are trained will accidentally discharge them.

    While it's a rational assumption that untrained people are more likely to be negligent with the firearms they have, it's quite a logical leap to then say that urban kids are more likely to be negligent around firearms than rural kids.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-16-10 at 03:46 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #65
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Almost all real Americans handle guns at some time in their lives.

    What's your point? That because some unAmerican people won't see guns doesn't mean they shouldn't be taught gun safety?
    OK, you're obviously just a troll. No real person can possibly be this stupid. Are you a left-winger trying to parody conservative views a la Stephen Colbert? I'm done with you. I'd rather discuss the issue with people who actually have a brain.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-16-10 at 03:45 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    I am sympathetic to the idea of teaching gun safety in the schools, especially in a society that insists on having guns everywhere.
    No, the United States does not insist on having guns everywhere.

    However I also see some problems with this. Adding a new subject to the curriculum will take away time and money from other subjects. In the current financial and economic crisis adding a new economic burden on schools or taking time away from other subjects might not be the best idea.
    It would literally take five hours to teach them. Probably less. It's like teaching them how to handle a power tool.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    While I would not like to own a gun myself I see no problem in hunters and marksmen having guns, provided they store and use them responsibly.

    I am sympathetic to the idea of teaching gun safety in the schools, especially in a society that insists on having guns everywhere. However I also see some problems with this. Adding a new subject to the curriculum will take away time and money from other subjects.
    Oh, that's easy.

    The word is "gym". No one needs gym as much ...l.****, the revisionists are calling it "physical education" as a sop the lowly gym teachers, aren't they? Train those fairly useless sob's as gun safety instructors and set part of that almost completely pointless curriculum into something both usefull and interesting, firearms training.

    However, as a pre-requisite, only law abiding US citizens and legal residents should be trained in proper gun use. Invaders and criminals can shoot themselves to ribbons, it's okay by me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    I think a more fair approach would be requiring passing a test in gun safety before you could legally own a firearm.
    THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

    So much for that prior-restraint bull****.

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    It would be no different from having to pass a test to be allowed to drive a car.
    Driving a car is a privilege, not a Constitutionally protected right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    And just like we demand a driver's license in order to avoid irresponsible drivers we should demand a gun license in order to to avoid irresponsible gun owners.
    Naw, bull****.

    You weed out the "irresponsible" gun owners by imposing stringent criminal penalties for using the damn things unsafely and unwisely.

    If you enter your house to see a crew of masked thugs ransacking it, you're perfetly authorized to haul your peice out and kill them.

    If they're exiting the structure and running away, you're not.

    It's really pretty much that simple. Don't place too much emphasis on what side of the body the bullet enters, a man can turn in the time it takes the impulse to squeeze the trigger to travel down the arm and mechanically move the trigger.

    But if some jack ass is using a gun to rob a store, and a single shot is fired by anyone is his entire posse, ALL those people spend fifteen years in jail. If Anyone is killed by that single shot, ALL those people are executed, and they're feeding worms before the anniversary of their conviction.

    That's how you take care of "careless" gun owners.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    OK, you're obviously just a troll. No real person can possibly be this stupid. Are you a left-winger trying to parody conservative views a la Stephen Colbert? I'm done with you. I'd rather discuss the issue with people who actually have a brain.
    You're absolutely right.

    I am not stupid.

    That's why I'm not wasting my time playing your game.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Absolutely...I just don't see how that translates into urban kids being more likely to negligently discharge them than rural kids. It depends entirely on the numbers you assume for what percentage of kids are exposed to firearms, what percentage are adequately trained, what percentage of those who aren't trained will accidentally discharge them, and what percentage of those who are trained will accidentally discharge them.

    While it's a rational assumption that untrained people are more likely to be negligent with the firearms they have, it's quite a logical leap to then say that urban kids are more likely to be negligent around firearms than rural kids.
    You're right that it's purely speculative, but gun-ownership and responsibility seems to be more ingrained with rural cultures than with urban and suburban cultures.

    I knew a lot of "Southern" people in the Marines, and just about everyone of them were familiar with firearms whereas most the "big city" types were clueless. It was a pretty large sample size, by the way, so it's not entirely unscientific.

    Anyway, before joining the Marine Corps, I had never even touched a firearm in my life. I had no idea how to handle one responsibly. I think it's totally rational to assume that other suburbanites are equally ignorant of firearm safety.

    I shot expert, by the way...

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Absolutely...I just don't see how that translates into urban kids being more likely to negligently discharge them than rural kids.
    "Washington DC, Murder Capital of the World"

    That ring a bell yet?

    Don't you live there?

    Hmmmm?

    When I lived in the country, the biggest problem was moron kids running down my mailbox with their cars. I fixed that probem by mounting the box on top of the stub of a full diameter telephone pole.

    In Washington DC, South Central LA, Chicago, and other gang infested urban areas, it's comman for people to put their kids to bed in BATHTUBS for fear of stray bullets.

    I've NEVER heard of rural kids sleeping in bathtubs out of fear of gang warfare in their barnyards. It doesn't even happen in suburban areas.

    So, quit making **** up, go find some clues.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 01-16-10 at 03:58 AM.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •