View Poll Results: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 33.33%
  • no

    25 43.86%
  • other/maybe

    13 22.81%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 174

Thread: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

  1. #151
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well right now we're talking about high school level how-to, including handling, cleaning, loading, shooting, watching background, etc.

    Yeah you need a firearm on hand for that.
    You'd need an actual firearm for actual shooting. Anything else can be handled with a proxy.

    As for K-8, I agree you wouldn't, but neither would you need a firearms instructor, either. K-8 firearms safety might be a chapter in a general health program. If Boby has a cut, don't touch it, go tell an adult. If you see a gun, don't touch it, go tell an adult.
    Right.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,478

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Who pays for it?
    I would think gun manufacturers may want to contribute to this program as it will possibly provide future customers. At least they could donate arms.
    Still think the best avenue would be through the NRA's program.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    I would think gun manufacturers may want to contribute to this program as it will possibly provide future customers. At least they could donate arms.
    Still think the best avenue would be through the NRA's program.
    I'll support that idea if you're ready for the left to start crying about evil gun corporations pre-programing children with product placement

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    How do you think it would be received best? As skeet shooting, hunting, marksmanship? Perhaps trick shooting?
    The most popular course would probably be the urban law enforcement course where the student has to shoot pop-up targets of the citizens and criminals.

  5. #155
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    I would think gun manufacturers may want to contribute to this program as it will possibly provide future customers. At least they could donate arms.
    Still think the best avenue would be through the NRA's program.
    I have no issue whatsoever with incorporating the various NRA programs into the public school curriculum. This would be my preferred approach, and is virtually impossible to argue against.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 01-18-10 at 04:51 PM.

  6. #156
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'll support that idea if you're ready for the left to start crying about evil gun corporations pre-programing children with product placement
    or the right to start crying that they're teaching young arab kids who could be terrorists how to shoot

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    or the right to start crying that they're teaching young arab kids who could be terrorists how to shoot
    ..as long as other children know how to shoot back, it's all good

  8. #158
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Eddumacation gets complicated, don't it?
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No.

    A locked gun is an inaccessible gun.

    An inaccessible gun is a useless gun.

    And a useless gun doesn't enhance anyone's safety but the criminal invading your house.

    A gun lock should never be more than an option.

    Options.

    That's what freedom is about.

    Generally speaking, my carry gun is almost always on me.

    When I go to bed, I have a pistol sitting close by for immediate use with a couple spare mags, in case of unexpected company.

    The rest of my guns stay locked in my gun cabinet when not in use. They are loaded and I do not use "trigger locks". This was my methodology since my son was 2 years old, along with (as mentioned) demonstrations and training in safety and handling. Worked fine, never had any problems.

    I like keeping my guns, other than my carry gun, locked in the cabinet because 1. if someone breaks in while I'm gone, they may not be able to break open the cabinet and steal my guns in the timeframe they want to get in and out...and 2. I trust my son; his teenage friends that visit, not so much.

    The gun cabinet, by the way, sits by the bed and has a special combination lock on it I can open in less than five seconds...just in case some "bump in the night" makes me feel the need for more firepower than just a handgun.

    (If you think you wouldn't have five seconds lead time, you need to reinforce your doors and/or windows...)

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #160
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,877
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should firearm use and safety be a required subject in school?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Generally speaking, my carry gun is almost always on me.

    When I go to bed, I have a pistol sitting close by for immediate use with a couple spare mags, in case of unexpected company.

    The rest of my guns stay locked in my gun cabinet when not in use. They are loaded and I do not use "trigger locks". This was my methodology since my son was 2 years old, along with (as mentioned) demonstrations and training in safety and handling. Worked fine, never had any problems.

    I like keeping my guns, other than my carry gun, locked in the cabinet because 1. if someone breaks in while I'm gone, they may not be able to break open the cabinet and steal my guns in the timeframe they want to get in and out...and 2. I trust my son; his teenage friends that visit, not so much.

    The gun cabinet, by the way, sits by the bed and has a special combination lock on it I can open in less than five seconds...just in case some "bump in the night" makes me feel the need for more firepower than just a handgun.

    (If you think you wouldn't have five seconds lead time, you need to reinforce your doors and/or windows...)
    that sounds like its bordering on paranoia

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •