View Poll Results: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes,-- everybody should be treated equal

    95 40.95%
  • No--some people should recieve preferential treatment

    137 59.05%
Page 72 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 847

Thread: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

  1. #711
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't need to convince anyone, globally they've been doing it since Man has had civilization.
    And those marriages included same-sex unions as well.

  2. #712
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I've seen alot of people pull this "marriage is for children" crap before. Most of them simply fold and slink away when reminded that their postmenopausal grandma got remarried after grandpa died or whatever. I give Jerry credit for sticking with the logical conclusion of his argument, no matter how extreme and hopeless. He's alot of things, but he's no hypocrite.
    Keep in mind that the reason I chimed back into this thread is because my instructor gave that information in the coarse of a science class. If it's an opinion, it's not unique to me. If it's an opinion then it's an opinion that was established by the species as a whole mellenia before you and I were born.

  3. #713
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And those marriages included same-sex unions as well.
    I support same-sex marriage when same-sex marriage is about the raising of children. At that point "same-sex" becomes a mere variation no different than variations found in other cultures.

  4. #714
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    We don't need to codify something we as a species have been observing since forever.
    LOL Umm...yes, we do. Since marriage has changed drastically over the years and throughout different civilizations. Men married children. Men bought and paid for their wives. Same sex marriages were quite common in several cultures. Polygamy was rampant.

    Obviously, just because something was done centuries ago, we DO need to clarify what we wish to allow *today*.

  5. #715
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Keep in mind that the reason I chimed back into this thread is because my instructor gave that information in the coarse of a science class. If it's an opinion, it's not unique to me. If it's an opinion then it's an opinion that was established by the species as a whole mellenia before you and I were born.
    It's an opinion about the ORIGIN of marriage. But we have not, and are not obligated to, follow that tradition. We can do whatever we want. We can decide that marriage is for whatever purpose we want it to be. The law doesn't define it as "only for children" now, and many many couples don't practice it that way either. So it's already not about children only.

    Things change.

  6. #716
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I support same-sex marriage when same-sex marriage is about the raising of children. At that point "same-sex" becomes a mere variation no different than variations found in other cultures.
    Again, I do give you credit for consistency at least.

  7. #717
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    LOL Umm...yes, we do. Since marriage has changed drastically over the years and throughout different civilizations. Men married children. Men bought and paid for their wives. Same sex marriages were quite common in several cultures. Polygamy was rampant.

    Obviously, just because something was done centuries ago, we DO need to clarify what we wish to allow *today*.
    The variations have changed, not the purpose. Everywhere you go on Earth, marriage is about socializing children. This applies to each of your examples.

  8. #718
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    There is just something I find very interesting....

    I could have a loveless, childless relationship with someone of the opposite sex, while cheating on the side, and providing no real benefit to society and that would be a worthy enough of marriage by the traditional marriage people's standards simply because I would be male and she would be female.

    However, if I formed a loving, stable relationship with another male, adopted and provided a stable home for children, and benefited society in doing so, that would be considered unworthy of marriage by traditional marriage people's standards simply because I would be male and he would be male.

    And people are surprised when the Larry Craigs and Mark Folelys come out of the woodwork?

    I can't imagine how traditional marriage people deal with the cognitive dissonance they must encounter everyday in their thinking.

  9. #719
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    It's an opinion about the ORIGIN of marriage. But we have not, and are not obligated to, follow that tradition. We can do whatever we want. We can decide that marriage is for whatever purpose we want it to be. The law doesn't define it as "only for children" now, and many many couples don't practice it that way either. So it's already not about children only.

    Things change.
    If the purpose of marriage were going to change, it would have.

    It hasn't, though. The purpose has remained the same even when the structure of marriage has changed drastically. Just as skin tone and pigmentation can very from culture to culture, skin still serves the same purpose every human you look at.

    It is because the purpose of marriage is the same which makes it an element of cultural universal.

  10. #720
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    There is just something I find very interesting....

    I could have a loveless, childless relationship with someone of the opposite sex, while cheating on the side, and providing no real benefit to society and that would be a worthy enough of marriage by the traditional marriage people's standards simply because I would be male and she would be female.

    However, if I formed a loving, stable relationship with another male, adopted and provided a stable home for children, and benefited society in doing so, that would be considered unworthy of marriage by traditional marriage people's standards simply because I would be male and he would be male.

    And people are surprised when the Larry Craigs and Mark Folelys come out of the woodwork?

    I can't imagine how traditional marriage people deal with the cognitive dissonance they must encounter everyday in their thinking.
    I think those who come to forums such as this do so to work out said cognitive dissonance.

    I know I did.

Page 72 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •