View Poll Results: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes,-- everybody should be treated equal

    95 40.95%
  • No--some people should recieve preferential treatment

    137 59.05%
Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 847

Thread: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

  1. #641
    Student Antagony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern England
    Last Seen
    09-13-11 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    278

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    I have to go to bed now. It's 3 AM here and I have work tomorrow. I will address the new posts later.
    -Ant

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
    -Voltaire

  2. #642
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    So I'm attending the beginning of a 100 level sociology class, and the instructor who teaches this subject at the 400 level, reaches the topic of cultural universal.

    To periphrasis, he tells us that the reason all societies have "marriage" is to acknowledge a pair bond, to let everyone know that a couple has joined their lives and operate by special rules, and that everyone should honor this union because now the couple's main function is to socialize children. He then gave a few examples of how marriage serves this same function in very different cultures around the globe before moving on to other elements every society has, like funerals.


    So before anyone tries to play the religion card, this is sociology, a science, not a religion, not my subjective personal opinion on morality......science and cultural universal.


    ****
    Talk about validation.

    Marriage is about raising children, not in supporting just whatever sort of relationship you feel like. If you have no intention of raising children, you therefore have no business getting married.

    If gay 'marriage is principally about socializing children, then I'm for gay marriage. If gay marriage is principally about anything other than socializing children, such as "equality" or "rights" or some other bull**** nonsense, then I'm against it.

    *Note: I would not then be against gays haveing relationships, living together and whatnot. I would then be against gays having access to marriage, even civil unions.
    Last edited by Jerry; 01-21-10 at 11:19 PM.

  3. #643
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    But that wasn't the question.
    "They don't unless they are mentioned in the NT. Then they are nothing more than AS I SAID BEFORE a good reference for understanding what God expects." - Blackdog

    Do I have to say this again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #644
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So I'm attending the beginning of a 100 level sociology class, and the instructor who teaches this subject at the 400 level, reaches the topic of cultural universal.

    To periphrasis, he tells us that the reason societies have "marriage" is to acknowledge a pair bond, to let everyone know that a couple has joined their lives and operate by special rules, and that everyone should honor this union because now the couple's main function is to socialize children. He then gave a few examples of how marriage serves this same function in very different cultures around the globe before moving on to other elements every society has, like funerals.


    ****
    Talk about validation.

    Marriage is about raising children, not in supporting just whatever sort of relationship you feel like. If you have no intention of raising children, you therefore have no business getting married.
    so what, couples that don't have children should get divorced for that reason, or sterile people shouldn't get married?

    marriage is a symbol, and that is all the gays are asking for, is to be granted that symbol of their love

  5. #645
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    so what, couples that don't have children should get divorced for that reason, or sterile people shouldn't get married?

    marriage is a symbol, and that is all the gays are asking for, is to be granted that symbol of their love
    Marriage is not about love.

    Marriage is about raising children.

    Love supports the purpose of marriage, is it not itself the purpose of marriage.

  6. #646
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Marriage is about raising children, not in supporting just whatever sort of relationship you feel like. If you have no intention of raising children, you therefore have no business getting married.
    Yeah, be sure to go out and tell the hundreds of thousands of older couples who get married in their 50s or beyond and have no intention or ability to get married that they shouldn't be allowed to. Including perhaps your own parents or grandparents after divorce or death of a spouse. Including perhaps even you someday.

    You may stick to your ridiculous extremist position, but nobody else is going to go for it. Marriage isn't just for children for many thousands of people. Deal with it.

  7. #647
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Marriage is not about love.

    Marriage is about raising children.

    Love supports the purpose of marriage, is it not itself the purpose of marriage.
    Marriage is about whatever the couple wants it to be about.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  8. #648
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Marriage is not about love.

    Marriage is about raising children.

    Love supports the purpose of marriage, is it not itself the purpose of marriage.
    Couples who have the legal right to say you're full of crap by marrying without having kids are doing so by the thousands every day.

  9. #649
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    so what, couples that don't have children should get divorced for that reason, or sterile people shouldn't get married?

    marriage is a symbol, and that is all the gays are asking for, is to be granted that symbol of their love
    I don't agree. Some gays want a symbol of public approval, has little to do with love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #650
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yeah, be sure to go out and tell the hundreds of thousands of older couples who get married in their 50s or beyond and have no intention or ability to get married that they shouldn't be allowed to. Including perhaps your own parents or grandparents after divorce or death of a spouse. Including perhaps even you someday.

    You may stick to your ridiculous extremist position, but nobody else is going to go for it. Marriage isn't just for children for many thousands of people. Deal with it.
    Name calling doesn't change objective fact.

    Across the globe, in every culture, marriage serves the same purpose.

Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •