View Poll Results: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes,-- everybody should be treated equal

    95 40.95%
  • No--some people should recieve preferential treatment

    137 59.05%
Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 847

Thread: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

  1. #321
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Land View Post
    Are you now putting the Humane race on the same level as lower animal life forms?
    Yes, there are many examples of homosexual activity in lower life forms. But they have an excuse, they are lower life forms.
    I will warn you that if you are stating that those who practice homosexuality are lower life forms, here at DP that would be considered hate speech... which is against the rules. I will caution you to NOT do that. Consider this an official warning.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #322
    Advisor Rassales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    564

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Land View Post
    Are you now putting the Humane race on the same level as lower animal life forms?
    Yes, there are many examples of homosexual activity in lower life forms. But they have an excuse, they are lower life forms.
    Okay, define "natural" then? Doesn't that have something to do with...you know...nature?

  3. #323
    User Reality Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    59

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And since this has never happened, your point is irrelevant. Further, if you are claiming that homosexuality is "bad" that's not much of an argument. You'd have to substantiate it.
    It is a life style that is contrary to the established accepted norm of today's majority. It is bad because it is fruitless. It is a self serving and selfish lifestyle. It gives nothing back to society in the way of the most precious thing there is; new human life. It is a consumption only lifestyle and to be honest, a royal pain in the neck. But I guess they at least contribute to the interior appearance of our homes and beauty of our women as home decorators and beauticians.


    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I understood your points perfectly. They were wrong and showed no insight or understanding of the issue. If you want to stick with them, that's fine, but recognize that they are just that... wrong, uninsightful, and demonstrate a lack of understanding.
    Oh I see. You are one of those types that thinks just because you say a person is wrong it is a fact. You garner your moral strength and perspective from the support you get from others who think as you do and believe the lies because you have told it to one another so many times. You are going to change the World no matter what the majority want.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

  4. #324
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Question, if something that is not deemed natural at the moment, is repeated over a period of time, could it then be considered natural?
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  5. #325
    User Reality Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    59

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I will warn you that if you are stating that those who practice homosexuality are lower life forms, here at DP that would be considered hate speech... which is against the rules. I will caution you to NOT do that. Consider this an official warning.
    I can only question your ability to understand the written English language when you read what I have said and think it is a hate speech. You are warning me for an infraction I did not commit? I see I may have made a mistake thinking that this forum was sincere in its claim to supporting intellectual debate. Seems the propaganda machine is rolling along nicely here...
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

  6. #326
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassales View Post
    Okay, define "natural" then? Doesn't that have something to do with...you know...nature?
    Anything that human beings devise through teleological observation to be natural.

    Men have a penis, women have a vagina, humanity has reason, and therefore, humanity has a moral obligation to use its reproductive parts for their intended "purpose".

    Of course, by that logic, masturbation and oral sex are just as great a catastrophe since the hand or mouth to the genitals by no means satisfies their intended "purpose". And of course, any sexual behavior that does not lead to reproduction is arguably immoral, so all those people who are married to an infertile partner should probably get a divorce...or at least stop having sex with them since that is a misuse of equipment. Oh, and any recreational form of sex that uses contraception is probably evil as well.

    Wow...this argument really sucks when you start using that "humanity has reason" part of the equation.

  7. #327
    User Reality Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    59

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Anything that human beings devise through teleological observation to be natural.

    Men have a penis, women have a vagina, humanity has reason, and therefore, humanity has a moral obligation to use its reproductive parts for their intended "purpose".

    Of course, by that logic, masturbation and oral sex are just as great a catastrophe since the hand or mouth to the genitals by no means satisfies their intended "purpose". And of course, any sexual behavior that does not lead to reproduction is arguably immoral, so all those people who are married to an infertile partner should probably get a divorce...or at least stop having sex with them since that is a misuse of equipment. Oh, and any recreational form of sex that uses contraception is probably evil as well.

    Wow...this argument really sucks when you start using that "humanity has reason" part of the equation.
    Only if you make it absurd as you have done here. Who says masturbation or oral sex is wrong between consenting adults? I don't really care what two or more people do, same sex or not, in the privacy of their own homes.
    I just don't don't want the definition of marriage to be changed to suit a few misguided individuals who have a very loud forum. If they choose to defy the societal norm, they need to do so without complaint that everybody does not support that decision, or that they are not getting all the perks married heterosexuals get. We too have the right to choose.
    Don't even get me started on legal abortion at 25 weeks of age.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

  8. #328
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Land View Post
    Only if you make it absurd as you have done here. Who says masturbation or oral sex is wrong between consenting adults? I don't really care what two or more people do, same sex or not, in the privacy of their own homes.
    Hey, I'm just talking about what is "natural". I can't imagine why you think it is absurd. How exactly is masturbation or oral sex anymore "natural" than gay sex? If the penis ain't going in the vagina, then that can't be considered "natural".

    Of course, you could make the observation that primates utilize sex for more than simply reproduction. They also use it as a social bonding agent. It cements relationships, particularly between monogamous couples. It serves as a stress release agent. It's a recreational activity. It's a pretty multifaceted thing that is more defined by behavior than by the physical bits. But meh, that isn't nearly as fun as calling it "consumption only" and "fruitless". Ignoring the psychological and sociological benefits is perfectly fine as long as you can justify it doesn't serve some ordained biological purpose.

    I just don't don't want the definition of marriage to be changed to suit a few misguided individuals who have a very loud forum.
    You mean like the loud forum that a preacher has when he stands in front of people and reads from an ancient book, dictating rules that are often contradictory and outdated. Yeah...we wouldn't want anyone to compete against that kind of forum to have their views heard. How dare they! You would almost think this was a free country in which people could exchange ideas openly and expect a reasonable discussion on them.

    If they choose to defy the societal norm, they need to do so without complaint that everybody does not support that decision, or that they are not getting all the perks married heterosexuals get. We too have the right to choose.
    Those damn gays should know their place! Just like those damn black people! And those damn women! And those damn Native Americans! And any group of people who choose to stand up against societal norms! How dare they complain that they aren't treated equally! They should all just shut up! People have a right to choose to own slaves, segregate races, deny one gender the right to vote or hold office, take land that has been occupied for centuries, etc. That is what is traditional, and traditional is always right!

  9. #329
    User Reality Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    59

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    Question, if something that is not deemed natural at the moment, is repeated over a period of time, could it then be considered natural?
    As you observe nature, do you see a system that acts to perpetuate each species or do you see evolution that is harmful to the continued survival of species?
    That should tell you all you need to know about nature.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

  10. #330
    User Reality Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    59

    Re: Should Same Sex People be allowed to Marry

    [quote=CriticalThought;1058493938]Hey, I'm just talking about what is "natural". I can't imagine why you think it is absurd. How exactly is masturbation or oral sex anymore "natural" than gay sex? If the penis ain't going in the vagina, then that can't be considered "natural".

    Why? If the the penis never goes in the vagina, then you may have a point.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Of course, you could make the observation that primates utilize sex for more than simply reproduction. They also use it as a social bonding agent. It cements relationships, particularly between monogamous couples. It serves as a stress release agent. It's a recreational activity. It's a pretty multifaceted thing that is more defined by behavior than by the physical bits. But meh, that isn't nearly as fun as calling it "consumption only" and "fruitless". Ignoring the psychological and sociological benefits is perfectly fine as long as you can justify it doesn't serve some ordained biological purpose.
    If it feels good, do it. But if it means that you are only doing that which feels good to the exclusion of natural sex to procreate, you have just jumped the shark.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You mean like the loud forum that a preacher has when he stands in front of people and reads from an ancient book, dictating rules that are often contradictory and outdated. Yeah...we wouldn't want anyone to compete against that kind of forum to have their views heard. How dare they! You would almost think this was a free country in which people could exchange ideas openly and expect a reasonable discussion on them.
    You have decided to bring religion into this topic I suppose to try to draw an argument out of me that you feel more comfortable with; when in actuality, religion has little to do with natural law. Why do you suppose we don't want all views heard. Are we not each posting our views here? Are you againn going off on tangents that are irrelevant to this discussion? I think the term is strawman?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Those damn gays should know their place! Just like those damn black people! And those damn women! And those damn Native Americans! And any group of people who choose to stand up against societal norms! How dare they complain that they aren't treated equally! They should all just shut up! People have a right to choose to own slaves, segregate races, deny one gender the right to vote or hold office, take land that has been occupied for centuries, etc. That is what is traditional, and traditional is always right!
    Now you have ventured into the extreme and created a fantasy World born out of your imagination about things that have nothing to do with the conversation. Try to focus.
    We are not talking about tradition. We are talking about the decision of the majority in a democracy and natural law.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."

Page 33 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •