View Poll Results: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income one makes?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 35.40%
  • no

    64 56.64%
  • maybe/other

    9 7.96%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 180

Thread: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If there is no evidence to back up that claim then how can you claim that a person's wealth effects the the appeals they get?
    Really jamesrage think about it a poor person represented by a public defender vs. a wealthy man represented by an ivy league educated 800 $ an hour lawyer. Who do you think has the better odds of getting off?

  2. #52
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Really jamesrage think about it a poor person represented by a public defender vs. a wealthy man represented by an ivy league educated 800 $ an hour lawyer. Who do you think has the better odds of getting off?
    Then perhaps we should either limit lawyers or get the accused the same quality of legal defense that the rich has. But it still does not say whether or not the rich murderer gets more appeals for the same type of crime in the same district,court and judge as the poor murderer.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Then perhaps we should either limit lawyers or get the accused the same quality of legal defense that the rich has. But it still does not say whether or not the rich murderer gets more appeals for the same type of crime in the same district,court and judge as the poor murderer.
    Maybe I did not make it clear. The number of appeals was not my argument. The representation was.

  4. #54
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yes, it seems like a good idea. Speeding tickets would then be a more effective deterrent to the rich.
    And conversely, less effective to the middle or lower class. How about a flat fine --- instead of being 80 Euro's for the poor, and 800 Euro's for the rich, it's just 800 Euro's all together and motivate everyone who drives to stay within the speed limit.

    Oh but the poor are so much more affected by the fine... tough ... don't speed, or, get motivated to make more money to afford the fine. Seems simple enough.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If there is no evidence to back up that claim then how can you claim that a person's wealth effects the the appeals they get?
    C'mon now......
    The more money you have, the better the weasel you can afford....

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Why does everyone seem to want to punish those who have accumulated wealth? It's as if it's a crime to get educated and to strive to get ahead in life. More and more Americans seem to think it is their right to steal from the rich. They somehow feel entitled to other people's property.
    It's those with money who provide jobs, vacations, raises, promotions and healthcare to people with their own money. The rich are the ones that spend money on things like cars, boats, planes, vacations, dining out, fancy clothes etc. that keep people working.
    This administration wants to destroy the economy so more and more people will depend on entitlements and will continue to vote them in. The problem is, any so called "right" the govt. gives, can also be taken away. They WANT us to hate the rich, so they will gain more and more power over our lives.
    The rich are taxed enough and now you want to punish them even more for a speeding ticket??? Sounds pretty unfair to me.
    We're not talking taxes here. We're talking about fines and deterrents for breaking the law. The poor would never see any money from this. Just because you're rich and may help provide jobs does not mean that you should get a free pass when you break a law.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #57
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Really jamesrage think about it a poor person represented by a public defender vs. a wealthy man represented by an ivy league educated 800 $ an hour lawyer. Who do you think has the better odds of getting off?
    The answer to that is for the government to completely take over the legal system; all lawyers could be government employees. Defendants could then be assigned to lawyers by some random means.

    .

  8. #58
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmpiricalTruth View Post
    yes it should depend on how much you make, because the fines effect rich people less and the point of a speeding ticket is to stop you from speeding

    the system we have now hurts poor people more than rich people, it should be an equal percentage.
    Equal justice under law.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    The whole point behind his scaling factor is because people think rich people will won't care about a few hundred dollar fine and thus are more willing to speed. First off, hundreds of dollars for a fine I think is maybe a bit too excessive. That's a **** load of cash. Secondly, let's just take on assumption the whole premise is true. Well there's still reckless driving, which comes with jail time if done too much; maybe that should be enforced. There are classes and probation and all sorts of annoying, expensive, and time consuming. There's no real point to most of it other than to be annoying, expensive, and time consuming. Now I think maybe rich people have an easier time getting out of it because they can hire fancy lawyers for any trouble they get into and by doing so escape some of the punishment that is levied on the rest of us. Maybe we should just start holding them to the same crap everyone else has to do.

    I don't like the idea of scaling tickets with income, to me that seems like nothing more than a fundraising method for the State.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #60
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Should traffic fines and other fines be based on the income the offender makes?

    More attempts at class envy. Poor people don't benefit when rich pay more do they?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •