View Poll Results: Burqa ban+fine, example to follow or shy

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • This law should be completely implemented in the West

    9 18.00%
  • This law is a must in general

    1 2.00%
  • This law is good

    4 8.00%
  • The law is not good

    29 58.00%
  • Other opinion(explain).

    7 14.00%
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 284

Thread: French law could see fines for burqas

  1. #231
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    How is the support of the most very extreme elements within Islam considered a "compromise"?
    That's not the compromise I'm thinking of.

    The "compromise" here is to support modern, moderate Muslims in their fight against the backwards elements within their society.
    You really think going around making laws like this is going to help that? Really?

  2. #232
    Educator
    ScummyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    06-09-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    So what?
    You said:
    I hope your distorted view of the world comes nowhere near being codified on the law books.
    Whatever the merits of my comment about mocking and ridiculing freaks in burkas, I never said wearing full body sheets should be outlawed so your comments are incoherent relative my posts. You make no sense.

    I'm no more interested in seeing your view become a matter of law simply because you say it should never be implemented in a free society.
    Again, nonsensical incoherence. Why would any reasonable clear thinking person suddenly want to see it become law just because they read my comments saying it should not become law???

    You make no sense whatsoever rambling on like this.

  3. #233
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by ScummyD View Post
    You said:

    Whatever the merits of my comment about mocking and ridiculing freaks in burkas, I never said wearing full body sheets should be outlawed so your comments are incoherent relative my posts. You make no sense.
    Actually I make plenty of sense. I was addressing the bolded portion of the above, which should've been clear since I, you know, QUOTED it when I said what I said.

    If you can't follow that, it's really not my fault.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #234
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,171

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Actually, you didn't address my point at all, whereas I did address yours by showing you where you were wrong, but by all means feel free to play another round of "I know you are but what am I" by yourself.
    You didn't address my point, you've simply claimed that I'm wrong without facts or anything to support your argument, and has done that in a most-infantile way.

    I have no time to waste on your ilk. Write that down please.
    As I tried to explain to Gardner, all you're ensuring is that the women who were being forced to wear Burkas will be isolated.
    Again, how so?
    Are you able to explain your positions, or are you only able to make statements that depend entirely on your belief?
    Lots of women die in honor killings every year that have nothing to do with Islam.
    Proof? Evidence?
    That said, I haven't heard of a rash of honor killings in France, where this law is being discussed. Have there been, or were you throwing that out there because a red herring is the best you've got?
    There have been honor killing in France and in everywhere else on this planet with a similar/bigger amount of Muslims. (5 million+)
    Since you can't or won't argue that women in Burkas harm others by wearing a Burka, then how can you justify forcefully stripping them of their freedom to wear one? Isn't the only legitimate argument for stripping an adult of their liberty that they pose a threat to other people?
    If you would bother reading my post and arguments before commenting on them, as an automatic search for people to argue with, you would know what my arguments are and hence be able to respond accordingly.

    Since you don't, I'll advise you to stop wasting my goddamned time.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 01-16-10 at 03:10 PM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  5. #235
    Educator
    ScummyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    06-09-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Actually I make plenty of sense. I was addressing the bolded portion of the above, which should've been clear since I, you know, QUOTED it when I said what I said.

    If you can't follow that, it's really not my fault.
    It was nice to see that you agree with me.

  6. #236
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    That's not the compromise I'm thinking of.



    You really think going around making laws like this is going to help that? Really?
    So far you have yet to write even one word to indicate you could give a rat's ass about the plight of Muslim women at all much less come up with anything to help them.

    So d@mn them to live lives as chattel, subject to the demands of their owners. After all, they are just Muslims, right?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #237
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    By leveling the playing field, you are taking away one excuse for attacking them. It won't end the attacks, certainly, but it will take away one of the superficial reasons for doing so supported by the wider community.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the banning of niqabs and burqas will eventually alter the perception some Muslim men have of women? It won't. The women will just swap their burqas for hijabs and floor length dresses and the abuse will continue. Will we then ban hijabs and long dresses too? What if the abuse STILL continues? When do we finally go after the real problem?
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #238
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,171

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the banning of niqabs and burqas will eventually alter the perception some Muslim men have of women? It won't. The women will just swap their burqas for hijabs and floor length dresses and the abuse will continue. Will we then ban hijabs and long dresses too? What if the abuse STILL continues? When do we finally go after the real problem?
    Would you care to give your own proposal as to how to combat the situation?
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #239
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    So far you have yet to write even one word to indicate you could give a rat's ass about the plight of Muslim women at all much less come up with anything to help them.
    I care deeply about the plight of Muslim women.

    There. Now you can get back to the subject, which isn't me.

    So d@mn them to live lives as chattel, subject to the demands of their owners. After all, they are just Muslims, right?
    Wrong. That is not how I feel at all. Nor does it reflect reality.

    Back on topic please.

    (BTW, by coindence I'm going to a Muslim wedding tonight. Not my first either. I'll report to you on how the bride is subjugated as chattel :lol ).
    Last edited by misterman; 01-16-10 at 03:31 PM.

  10. #240
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    You didn't address my point, you've simply claimed that I'm wrong without facts or anything to support your argument, and has done that in a most-infantile way.

    I have no time to waste on your ilk. Write that down please.
    Which is why you continue to respond to my posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Again, how so?
    Are you able to explain your positions, or are you only able to make statements that depend entirely on your belief?
    This is simple logic. Women who are being forced to wear Burkas when they go out in public will not be allowed out in public when the Burka is banned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Proof? Evidence?
    Google is your friend, but I'll give you a head start:

    Thousands of Women Killed for Family "Honor"

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    There have been honor killing in France and in everywhere else on this planet with a similar/bigger amount of Muslims. (5 million+)
    I believe the words I used were, a rash of, in other words, a trend of or a wave of or a lot of. Can you cite a source that shows at honor killing in France is the rule rather than an aberration?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    If you would bother reading my post and arguments before commenting on them, as an automatic search for people to argue with, you would know what my arguments are and hence be able to respond accordingly.
    In other words, you can't address the point. Noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Since you don't, I'll advise you to stop wasting my goddamned time.
    Or what?

    Seriously, though, I can't waste your time. Only you can do that.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •