View Poll Results: Burqa ban+fine, example to follow or shy

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • This law should be completely implemented in the West

    9 18.00%
  • This law is a must in general

    1 2.00%
  • This law is good

    4 8.00%
  • The law is not good

    29 58.00%
  • Other opinion(explain).

    7 14.00%
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 284

Thread: French law could see fines for burqas

  1. #211
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,217

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Of course I am. If I weren't, I wouldn't do it.

    I hope you're satisfied keeping such sexist attitudes toward women. The sad thing is, they are the WORST kind of sexist attitudes. Because you actually think you're doing women a favor. It is, to say the least, sad.
    Alright so now I'm the worst kind of a Sexist.

    Seems like I've made the right decision to stop arguing with you, Cruella de Vil.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  2. #212
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Here, let me fix that:
    In other words, you can't address my point. Noted.

    I did, by the way, mean to take your name out of the fixed quote, my apologies for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Nobody's freedom is being taken away, certainly not by banning a certain and very specific clothing.
    You're taking away the freedom to wear a certain and very specific clothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    How so?
    You're essentially justifying the proposed removal of freedom to wear Burkas as a pre-emptive strike designed to protect someone else's safety and freedom. It's basically a "for your own good" argument. That argument can be used to justify a great many injustices in the name of protecting people from themselves and others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Where did I speak on a damage to people surrounding the burqa-wearing woman?
    I never said you did. I said that that is the important point, as in that's the question we should be asking ourselves, then I asked you to quantify the harm Burka-wearing women are doing to those around them.

    Care to answer the question, or have you no answer?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #213
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The problem with your argument is that since we have no way of addressing the particulars of what goes on behind closed doors with respect to Burkas (absent some sort of an official complaint, charges, or surveillance footage, of course), you can't prove who is a slave and who is being paid to pick the cotton.
    House slaves and field slaves were both slaves.

    Whether a women wears it because she considers it protection against gang rape, or whether she wears it because she would be badly hurt in other ways, the coercive elements are the same. Like slavery, it is an entire SYSTEM that needs to be addressed here, and continuing this system just because a few have been conditioned to support it is NOT a valid reason for continuing to support this system - -especially if one makes the claim they have any empathy whatsoever for those systematically brutalized by it.

    There is a bigger picture involved here than the extremely simple minded argument that "it's their choice".
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #214
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by ScummyD View Post
    Actually, it fits perfectly with one of the most basic and fundamental principles of freedom ever conceived. Ever heard of free speech???
    You're entirely welcome to espouse distasteful, immature, reactionary positions under the First Amendment, it's true.

    You should still be ashamed of yourself, and I hope your distorted view of the world comes nowhere near being codified on the law books.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #215
    Educator
    ScummyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    06-09-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,130

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    You're entirely welcome to espouse distasteful, immature, reactionary positions under the First Amendment, it's true.

    You should still be ashamed of yourself, and I hope your distorted view of the world comes nowhere near being codified on the law books.
    I'm curious, did you miss it where I said a law like this should never be implemented in a free society?
    "Muslims are OBLIGATED to raid the lands of the infidels, occupy them, and exchange their systems of governance for an Islamic system. . .They say that our sharia does not impose our particular beliefs upon others; this is a false assertion. For it is, in fact, part of our religion to IMPOSE our particular beliefs upon others." -bin Laden

  6. #216
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Alright so now I'm the worst kind of a Sexist.

    .
    There is feminism and there is cartoon feminism.

    The cartoon feminists lack the intelligence necessary to understand that it is those seeking to end systematic oppression of women who are arguing the feminist position. Unfortunately, though, these cartoon feminists are too filled with hatred of men to ever acknowledge that a man can be concerned with civil rights for women, and so they just lash out with fingers wagging.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #217
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,217

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    In other words, you can't address my point. Noted.
    I have addressed your point the same way that you have addressed mine, and now you declare it as the incapability to address a point.

    How pathetic, really, I feel sorry for your astonishingly weak argument skills.
    You're taking away the freedom to wear a certain and very specific clothing.
    Indeed, a very different statement than "you take away people's freedom".
    I am willing to allow the minor violation of a woman's freedom in order to ensure the safety of many other women, just like her.
    You're essentially justifying the proposed removal of freedom to wear Burkas as a pre-emptive strike designed to protect someone else's safety and freedom. It's basically a "for your own good" argument. That argument can be used to justify a great many injustices in the name of protecting people from themselves and others.
    Are you suggesting that the women living in Islamic communities are capable of combating this oppression?
    Because it doesn't seem to be so, seeing that thousands of them die due to honor killings every year.
    I never said you did. I said that that is the important point, as in that's the question we should be asking ourselves, then I asked you to quantify the harm Burka-wearing women are doing to those around them.

    Care to answer the question, or have you no answer?
    Since it is not related to my argument and I do not argue for or against the damage that Burqa-wearing women do to their surroundings, I have no opinion on the issue as to present time.
    Consider me neutral if you must.

    I am focused on my own argument, if you wish to address its points then be my guest, if you wish to make infantile comments then you are welcomed to speak to the wall.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  8. #218
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Whether a women wears it because she considers it protection against gang rape, or whether she wears it because she would be badly hurt in other ways, the coercive elements are the same.
    True.

    Are those the only possible reasons she might choose to wear it though? Remember, we can actually read their words, not just assume for ourselves.

    There is a bigger picture involved here than the extremely simple minded argument that "it's their choice".
    Yes - there's the quite dangerous idea that you know better than they do what's good for them, and that there's no possible way a burqa could be worn as a positive, healthy decision.

  9. #219
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    True.

    Are those the only possible reasons she might choose to wear it though? Remember, we can actually read their words, not just assume for ourselves.



    Yes - there's the quite dangerous idea that you know better than they do what's good for them, and that there's no possible way a burqa could be worn as a positive, healthy decision.
    I would rather inconvenience a few very slightly while saving many others quite thoroughly, while you would rather condemn the many quite thoroughly in order to satisfy the convenience of the few.

    I am quite comfortable with this difference between us.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #220
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    There is feminism and there is cartoon feminism.

    The cartoon feminists lack the intelligence necessary to understand that it is those seeking to end systematic oppression of women who are arguing the feminist position. Unfortunately, though, these cartoon feminists are too filled with hatred of men to ever acknowledge that a man can be concerned with civil rights for women, and so they just lash out with fingers wagging.
    LMFAO Yeah, that's what it is. It has nothing to do with the condescending bull**** y'all have been spewing regarding women and their inability to make choices for themselves.

    If your idea of ending your perceived oppression of women is to further oppress women, then you're the one lacking in any common sense. Men like you wanted to keep women from voting 'for their own good'. Men like you wanted to keep women out of the workforce 'for their own good'. Men like you want to keep women out of the military 'for their own good'. You bundle up your sexist ideals in pretty little packages and liken them to some kind of chivalry and condemn any woman who would dare to disagree with the condescending nature of your statements. Yeah, I don't think taking away women's choices is removing oppression, therefore *I* must be the unintelligent one.

    Like I said, do women a favor and stop trying to 'help' us. We don't need men like you to define when and if we're being oppressed and we sure **** don't need you to take away more of our choices under the guise of 'helping' us. We aren't children and we don't need more men like you to treat us like we are.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •