View Poll Results: Burqa ban+fine, example to follow or shy

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • This law should be completely implemented in the West

    9 18.00%
  • This law is a must in general

    1 2.00%
  • This law is good

    4 8.00%
  • The law is not good

    29 58.00%
  • Other opinion(explain).

    7 14.00%
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 284

Thread: French law could see fines for burqas

  1. #171
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post

    No, his position is based on sexism, arrogance, and misogyny.


    It is only because yours is based upon pure ignorance that you would attempt this sort of turnspeak.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #172
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    and what of Riverrat's unrelenting Jabs at me, eh? Her initial post to me was extremely hostile, and was nothing more than a personal attack.
    I would edit that out as well were I to quote the relevant posts.

    As far as the adoption of western style dress, I see this as symbolic, but agree with you that MUCH more needs to be done. For starters, the French police should be much more active in the projects, the prosecution of rapists needs to be more aggressive, the punishments need to be more severe, and there needs to be a nationwide effort geared towards assimilation. I see the elimination of this symbol that a human being is chattel to be one small step in that particular direction.
    That's the problem, tho. It's just symbolic. It makes you feel better, but it won't make the women who actually want to wear these Islamic traditional clothes feel anything other than regret that it had to go this far. They want the violence against them to stop, they may even want to stop covering their faces given the choice. But many of them would still chose some form of Islamic dress, as is evident by the choice many liberated, highly educated French Muslim women make to wear hijab every day.

    I agree with you about police needing to be tougher and more present in certain neighborhoods. There are parts of certain suburbs that might as well not be called France anymore, where Islamic fundamentalist thugs are allowed to terrorize everyone around them, because no cop ever goes there anymore. And I'm really glad you posted about Ni Putes ni Soumises. They are a very good organization that really tries to get to the root of the problems. I've been donating to them for years. I wish there more like them.
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 01-16-10 at 12:19 PM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  3. #173
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    It is only because yours is based upon pure ignorance that you would attempt this sort of turnspeak.
    Wow. Just wow.

  4. #174
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I would edit that out as well were I to quote the relevant posts.



    That's the problem, tho. It's just symbolic. It makes you feel better, but it won't make the women who actually want to wear these Islamic traditional clothes feel anything other than regret that it had to go this far. They want the violence against them to stop, they may even want to stop covering their faces given the choice. But many of them would still chose some form of Islamic dress, as is evident by the choice many liberated, highly educated French Muslim women make to wear hijab every day.

    I agree with you about police needing to be tougher and more present in certain neighborhoods. There are parts of certain suburbs that might as well not be called France anymore, where Islamic fundamentalist thugs are allowed to terrorize everyone around them, because no cop ever goes there anymore. Athat really tries to get to the root of the problems. I've been donating to them for years. I wish there more like them.


    Ultimately, it is only symbolic if nothing else is done. If it is part of a package of actions all geared towards the same end, then it is a useful tool.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #175
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    No, read again.
    I am implying that those things happen in Western nations' Islamic communities too, way more fluently than you seem to realize.
    And those things happen to non-Islamic women too. Women get beaten, raped and murdered all over the country every day. We don't force them to stay inside because of it. We don't take away their rights because of possible violence enacted against them. We actually go for the source.

    That's your opinion.
    From my point of view his position is based on the knowledge of the code-breaking woman's fate.
    And what the hell makes you think I'm not "aware" of how such families operate? That I'm not "aware", intimately, of what can happen to women who are in abusive relationships or the threat of them such as some Muslim women are in? The fact that SOME Muslim women live under threat of violence is no cause for limiting some of THEIR RIGHTS and the rights of all other women in the world. Are you really under the delusion that the violence will stop because they're not afforded the legal choice to wear a certain outfit any longer? Seriously? You really think it's that ****ing simple? Take away someone's rights and it makes it all better?

    Jesus ****ing christ. You may as well make it a law that all women can't go out past dark because they might get hurt. Or hell, don't allow them to marry at all because god knows they might choose a violent husband. We can't let them make a choice, they might make the wrong one.

    It's ****ing retarded. And insulting to ALL women. The attitude that some of you guys have regarding women being able to choose for themselves, even if it's not the damn choice YOU would make is astounding. It's amazing to me just how sexist so many men still are today.

  6. #176
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    People could always try learning a little bit before typing, misterman.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #177
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    It is only because yours is based upon pure ignorance that you would attempt this sort of turnspeak.
    Oh please, do tell me what I'm ignorant about. As a woman, who has been in violent relationships, who is intimately familiar with some of the things that have been mentioned already. Praytell, DO enlighten me.

  8. #178
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Oh please, do tell me what I'm ignorant about. As a woman, who has been in violent relationships, who is intimately familiar with some of the things that have been mentioned already. Praytell, DO enlighten me.
    Right now, I think I will be better off if I just ignore all your stupidity.

    You started right in on me with a personal attack, and so I eventually fired back. I will now bow out and let you have the last word.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #179
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by ScummyD View Post
    Actually, long flowing robes are specifically designed to cool the body. Hence their popularity in desert regions.
    Well, I couldn't think of anything else that a ban on Burkas could possibly be intended to save Europe from.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #180
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,194

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    And those things happen to non-Islamic women too. Women get beaten, raped and murdered all over the country every day. We don't force them to stay inside because of it. We don't take away their rights because of possible violence enacted against them. We actually go for the source.
    We're specifically addressing the Islamic oppression of women here, not the overall women abuse in the world, which is a much smaller of a problem than the Islamic oppression of women. (With all due honesty)
    And what the hell makes you think I'm not "aware" of how such families operate?
    That I'm not "aware", intimately, of what can happen to women who are in abusive relationships or the threat of them such as some Muslim women are in?
    Your words.
    What else could?
    The fact that SOME Muslim women
    Yes, let's soften things up by saying "some" while it's actually a huge amount of Muslim women.
    live under threat of violence is no cause for limiting some of THEIR RIGHTS and the rights of all other women in the world.
    That is your position, I believe that it is a cause.
    Are you really under the delusion that the violence will stop because they're not afforded the legal choice to wear a certain outfit any longer? Seriously?
    Stop? No.
    Drastically decrease?
    Yes.
    And I couldn't give a honest damn about how you label my position.
    You really think it's that ****ing simple? Take away someone's rights and it makes it all better?
    Nobody takes rights away here.
    There is no right to wear blankets.
    You may as well make it a law that all women can't go out past dark because they might get hurt. Or hell, don't allow them to marry at all because god knows they might choose a violent husband.
    That would be stupid.
    Banning the Burqas would, however, mean that it is not the women's choice to wear them, and hence, would create no reason for honor killings over that, as even the Islamic community would understand that when there is a law that is being forced, they cannot kill their women for abiding itt - since all of those women would have to abide the law.
    We can't let them make a choice, they might make the wrong one.
    There's no wrong choice here.
    There is the choice to be oppressed because you like life, there is the choice to take risks for your freedom, and there is the choice to put on a blanket because you think it's awesome or it's Halloween or whatever.
    It's ****ing retarded.
    Retards tend to write in caps.
    And insulting to ALL women.
    Umm, caps.
    The attitude that some of you guys have regarding women being able to choose for themselves, even if it's not the damn choice YOU would make is astounding. It's amazing to me just how sexist so many men still are today.
    So I am a sexist now?
    Do realize that your accusations have became valueless once you have wrongly applied them to promote your argument.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 01-16-10 at 12:35 PM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •