View Poll Results: Burqa ban+fine, example to follow or shy

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • This law should be completely implemented in the West

    9 18.00%
  • This law is a must in general

    1 2.00%
  • This law is good

    4 8.00%
  • The law is not good

    29 58.00%
  • Other opinion(explain).

    7 14.00%
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 284

Thread: French law could see fines for burqas

  1. #91
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    You do that in trainstations, buses, cafes and other public places as well?
    Why does any of that matter? What do I care if someone walks down the street in a burqa? It's not my business what they wear, they're free to do as they like. Is that a tough concept? It's not government's place to dictate fashion or dress policy above indecent exposure.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #92
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Why does any of that matter? What do I care if someone walks down the street in a burqa? It's not my business what they wear, they're free to do as they like. Is that a tough concept? It's not government's place to dictate fashion or dress policy above indecent exposure.
    Do you mind if a person wears a ski mask/balaclava in the summer, outside a bank?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  3. #93
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Do you mind if a person wears a ski mask/balaclava in the summer, outside a bank?
    While I may be suspicious of the behavior, it's not outright illegal. I wouldn't make a law preventing people from wearing ski masks. How does someone wearing a burqa on the street have anything to do with people wearing ski masks standing outside a bank? They have nothing to do with each other. You seem to want to justify a bad law through absurd and extreme examples. That does not make for a good basis of law.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #94
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Why? Who cares? Their dress choice doesn't hurt you or anyone else, so who are you to say what their culture "should" be?
    Culture is what makes a country a real country, and unites that country. Multiculturalism, taken to an extreme, is what allows British and other European Muslims who were born and raised in Europe to become radical and commit acts of terror against their own country.

    My culture requires that I wear a suit to work. That's quite uncomfortable, especially in the heat. Am I being oppressed?
    Does your suit require that you cover your face? Is it used for only one sex, and serve as a tool of oppression for that sex?

    And my family might disown me (not really, but you get the point) if I frequently walked around nude in public. Is that different somehow? As for hurting/killing a woman who doesn't wear a burqa...hurting/killing are already illegal.
    You really think that not wearing a tent at all times can even relate to not being naked in public? And it doesn't matter that hurting/killing is illegal, it still happens. Ever heard of "honor killings"?

    Keep in mind that I am still completely against banning or fining burqas.

  5. #95
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Culture is what makes a country a real country, and unites that country. Multiculturalism, taken to an extreme, is what allows British and other European Muslims who were born and raised in Europe to become radical and commit acts of terror against their own country.
    There's a big difference between adhering to a strict dress code and trying to blow yourself up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    Does your suit require that you cover your face?
    No. Is that the standard of what clothes are oppressive and what clothes aren't? Are football helmets oppressive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    Is it used for only one sex, and serve as a tool of oppression for that sex?
    Yes, and yes. Only men wear the kind of suits I wear, and I'd rather not wear it if my society gave me the choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    You really think that not wearing a tent at all times can even relate to not being naked in public?
    Absolutely. Many Westerners consider nudity to be indecent. Many Muslims consider women exposing their face to be indecent. What's the difference, other than your society has indoctrinated you to accept one standard and not the other?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    And it doesn't matter that hurting/killing is illegal, it still happens. Ever heard of "honor killings"?
    Sure...but what do they have to do with the burqa? Most honor killings take place in countries where no one wears the burqa.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-14-10 at 06:01 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #96
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Do you mind if a person wears a ski mask/balaclava in the summer, outside a bank?
    Are there people walking around in burqas outside banks in France alot?

    How many crimes in France have been committed by people wearing burqas?

  7. #97
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    There's a big difference between adhering to a strict dress code and trying to blow yourself up.
    That doesn't really change my point.

    No. Is that the standard of what clothes are oppressive and what clothes aren't? Are football helmets oppressive?
    Football helmets are worn during football games, not at all times in public.

    Yes, and yes. Only men wear the kind of suits I wear, and I'd rather not wear it if my society gave me the choice.
    How is it "yes" for the second one?

    Absolutely. Many Westerners consider nudity to be indecent. Many Muslims consider women exposing their face to be indecent. What's the difference, other than your society has indoctrinated you to accept one standard and not the other?
    There's a big difference. Your face is what sets you apart from the crowd. It's a vital tool for communication as well. To make a woman cover her face is to dehumanize her, and make her one cold, expressionless tent of a million.

    Sure...but what do they have to do with the burqa? Most honor killings take place in countries where no one wears the burqa.
    Honor killings can happen in pretty much any Muslim or European country. Anyways, it's just an example of how claiming that actions taken by a Muslim woman is "her choice" or "what she wants" is not always accurate.
    Last edited by Dav; 01-14-10 at 06:31 PM.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Are there people walking around in burqas outside banks in France alot?

    How many crimes in France have been committed by people wearing burqas?
    Hey! People can hide guns and drugs and illegal immigrants in a burqa! Think of the public safety! The CCTV cameras are rendered useless! Useless I say! What are we going to do if government can't catalog our movements and present location! Anarchy...that's what! By banning the burqa you're upholding the stability of society and protecting the rights of women who are unfairly oppressed by their freedom of choice as to wearing or not wearing a burqa. Freedom is slavery!
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #99
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Hey! People can hide guns and drugs and illegal immigrants in a burqa! Think of the public safety! The CCTV cameras are rendered useless! Useless I say! What are we going to do if government can't catalog our movements and present location! Anarchy...that's what! By banning the burqa you're upholding the stability of society and protecting the rights of women who are unfairly oppressed by their freedom of choice as to wearing or not wearing a burqa. Freedom is slavery!
    You're right - I'll be sure to feel guilty next time I put on my bathrobe.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: French law could see fines for burqas

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You're right - I'll be sure to feel guilty next time I put on my bathrobe.
    As well you should! How do the rest of us know you don't have a bomb under there!
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •