View Poll Results: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a smart business decision in a free market!

    7 16.67%
  • Is it any different from paying farmers not to grow food?

    3 7.14%
  • It sounds wastefull and environmentally unsound

    7 16.67%
  • It's immoral! These items could be given to the poor or sent abroad!

    15 35.71%
  • Other, please explain

    7 16.67%
  • I'm not surprised Walmart is involved. They are a tool of Satan...

    3 7.14%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

  1. #51
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    By them destroying the goods, rather than donating them--they can write them off as a total lose.---Just using the system we all support. Nothing wrong there.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  2. #52
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    That system looks pretty expensive. Throwing stuff away is relatively cheap.
    What system? Giving it away to charity?

    They probably wouldn't even have to deliver the merchandise themselves. They wouldn't have to do anything differently, except loading it into a cargo van instead of a dumpster. I don't see how this would cost them anything at all.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-12-10 at 04:07 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #53
    Advisor gopman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-04-16 @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    556

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What system? Giving it away to charity?

    How is it expensive? They probably wouldn't even have to deliver it themselves. They wouldn't have to do anything differently, except loading it into a cargo van instead of a dumpster.
    They probably wouldn't have had to load it to be honest, but to reiterate a point I made on page 1, the Wal Mart contractor who did this was most likely under contractual obligation to deliver these goods only to Wal Mart. It is a unique situation and doesn't reflect the policy of either company as their spokesmen stated, only the terms of their contract. The waste was generated when the contractor produced too much. That is their fault and they absorbed the financial costs of that decision. No one would disagree that it's a sad situation when perfectly good clothing goes to waste, but it's also pointless to argue whether it is a good policy, because it isn't anyone's policy.
    If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.
    - Milton Friedman

  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by gopman View Post
    They probably wouldn't have had to load it to be honest, but to reiterate a point I made on page 1, the Wal Mart contractor who did this was most likely under contractual obligation to deliver these goods only to Wal Mart. It is a unique situation and doesn't reflect the policy of either company as their spokesmen stated, only the terms of their contract. The waste was generated when the contractor produced too much. That is their fault and they absorbed the financial costs of that decision. No one would disagree that it's a sad situation when perfectly good clothing goes to waste, but it's also pointless to argue whether it is a good policy, because it isn't anyone's policy.
    I agree. I'm glad to see that Wal-Mart's national offices quickly disavowed this policy.

    It does say CONTRACTOR though...not supplier. That makes it a little unclear exactly what the contractor's role was. Maybe the contractor was just hired to dispose of the merchandise, and this particular Wal-Mart store didn't know/care what he did with it.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-12-10 at 04:23 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    Advisor gopman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-04-16 @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    556

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I agree. I'm glad to see that Wal-Mart's national offices quickly disavowed this policy.

    It does say CONTRACTOR though...not supplier. That makes it a little unclear exactly what the contractor's role was. Maybe the contractor was just hired to dispose of the merchandise, and this particular Wal-Mart store didn't know/care what he did with it.
    I suppose it's possible that they hired them specifically to tear up the clothes and throw them out, but that would be in violation of their stated policy, and it would be poor business sense, so I consider that a very slim possibility. It is probably a local manufacturer of private label clothing or maybe a delivery company, but I don't know why a delivery company would be responsible for throwing the clothes out either.
    If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand.
    - Milton Friedman

  6. #56
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why do they have to randomize?
    If they didn't then people would just sit and wait for the free handouts.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    They can remove the tags, end of story.
    Yes, that will stop the "shoplifter" in Walmart pulls tags off the hanging merchandise and walks out the door, and returns with tags miraculously on the discarded items.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by gopman View Post
    I suppose it's possible that they hired them specifically to tear up the clothes and throw them out, but that would be in violation of their stated policy, and it would be poor business sense, so I consider that a very slim possibility. It is probably a local manufacturer of private label clothing or maybe a delivery company, but I don't know why a delivery company would be responsible for throwing the clothes out either.
    I can't imagine anyone hired to "dispose" of salable property would then destroy that property rather than attempting to realize a profit from it's sale.

    In other words, whoever chopped up the gear was paid by someone to do it, and that someone had a reason for spending the money.

    If someone had just been paid to haul the stuff away, guaranteed it would have wound up in the flea market at a buck a pop.

    The only logical conclusion is that Walmart ordered the physical destruction of this property. No one else would do so. Possibly because the material had WalMart brand labels sewn into the garments and they don't want non-Walmart outlets selling those brands.

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Yes, that will stop the "shoplifter" in Walmart pulls tags off the hanging merchandise and walks out the door, and returns with tags miraculously on the discarded items.
    That is quite an elaborate scam...especially when they don't know which items are going to be discarded, or when. Perhaps you're just paranoid.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is it Ok for store to destroy & trash unsold merchandise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That is quite an elaborate scam...especially when they don't know which items are going to be discarded, or when. Perhaps you're just paranoid.
    Why can't they just get the tag after the item has been given out? I mean, why would you get a receipt for something you got for nothing?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •