View Poll Results: Is marriage a right?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    25 43.10%
  • No.

    33 56.90%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 168

Thread: Is marriage a right?

  1. #151
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,756

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    What's that? You agree that MOST, not ALL, people have the right to vote when they turn 18? Thank you.
    All Americans, sure. Nobody has a right to vote in *ANY* nation they are not a citizen of. Are you being purposely obtuse?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #152
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Simple question. Do you consider marriage to be a right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Court - Loving vs Virginia
    Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.
    If the supreme court recognizes it, that is enough for me.

    Personally, as long as society considers it a right, I am ok with it too since it is also a good idea.

  3. #153
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassales View Post
    So--to repeat--on what basis are they do be denied such a privilege? Your whim? The desires of the majority?
    Who? Homosexuals?
    When did I say they should be denied the privilege?

  4. #154
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    All Americans, sure. Nobody has a right to vote in *ANY* nation they are not a citizen of. Are you being purposely obtuse?
    The term used was "people", as in "most people", not "Americans".
    Are you being obtuse on purpose?

  5. #155
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    If the supreme court recognizes it, that is enough for me.
    Personally, as long as society considers it a right, I am ok with it too since it is also a good idea.
    Marriage is not a right - it is a privilege granted by the state; said privilege can be removed by a simple act of legislature.
    No words from any court can override that fact.

  6. #156
    Advisor Rassales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    564

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Who? Homosexuals?
    When did I say they should be denied the privilege?
    We've been around this barn several times now, and all you've done is obfuscate the points I've made. You haven't addressed them. Someone else actually implied you were being deliberately obtuse. I've responded to the points you've made. I wish you would provide me with the same courtesy.

  7. #157
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassales View Post
    We've been around this barn several times now, and all you've done is obfuscate the points I've made. You haven't addressed them. Someone else actually implied you were being deliberately obtuse. I've responded to the points you've made. I wish you would provide me with the same courtesy.
    You seem to be under the impression that I have argued that the EP clause doesnt apply to homosexuals regarding the privilege of marriage, and that because of this, I need to show how how/why homosexuals shoudl be so excluded..

    Nothing I have posted in any way implies this.

    I argued two things:
    -Marriage is a privilege
    -The EP clause necesitates that if a state offers a privilege to some people, it must then offer the same priveleg to MOST other people.

    Both of these are unassailable, and neither of them support your supposition.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,756

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I argued two things:
    -Marriage is a privilege
    -The EP clause necesitates that if a state offers a privilege to some people, it must then offer the same priveleg to MOST other people.

    Both of these are unassailable, and neither of them support your supposition.
    So that means you'd have no problem with, say, the government denying blacks the ability to get married, or denying women the ability to get a driver's license. After all, these are privileges and don't have to apply to everyone, under your way of thinking.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #159
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So that means you'd have no problem with, say, the government denying blacks the ability to get married, or denying women the ability to get a driver's license. After all, these are privileges and don't have to apply to everyone, under your way of thinking.
    So you -ARE- being deliberately obtuse.
    That being the case, I really cannot help you.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,756

    Re: Is marriage a right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    So you -ARE- being deliberately obtuse.
    That being the case, I really cannot help you.
    Meaning you don't want to answer because it would reveal the true absurdity of your position.

    Gotcha.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •