View Poll Results: What do you think of the phrase 'He jewed me down'?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm highly offended by the phrase!

    29 23.77%
  • It's an insensitive choice of words

    45 36.89%
  • It depends entirely on the context

    13 10.66%
  • As long as it's not refering to real Jews

    2 1.64%
  • It's just an old expression that perfectly expresses its meaning!

    33 27.05%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 211

Thread: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    My wife warned me 12yrs ago about her brother, he had membership of the illegal Catholic Ustace.

    We met, he then had to abide by the rule that keeps him alive, when I walk into a room he has to leave.

    I gained that promise by giving him a good view of Split from his parents 14th floor balcony

    ps it is my wife who wants to end the slugs life, Yugoslavian women are very volatile and she likes "That ****ing Jew"

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    How do you stop a Jewish Girl performing oral sex, marry her

  3. #183
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    I've never heard that.... and I won't pretend that I get it, either. I am kind of slow that way.
    It has something to do with saving things and hiding them.. I do not like the term..
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  4. #184
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    If you say things in private that you would not say in public? You are doing something wrong and it means you know it. You would say certain things to your roommate because it is so funny. HAHA Look at me we can be cute and racst but would not say it on street as you know it would cause a problem and is wrong.

    I just used the term whitebread in another thread and would say it to ANY white person! That is the difference.
    That's ridiculous. Are you saying that you act the same way at all times in private that you do in public? Would you act the same way at a job interview that you do when you spend time with your friends or family? Would you discuss the most intimate details of your life on a first date? Of course not. There is nothing deceitful about acting differently around some people than others.

    Grow up. Also, I notice you didn't address the point that no one is hurt by what my roommate and I say to each other. Instead, you just shrieked "ZOMG YOU KNOW IT'S WRONG!!!!11" again without actually explaining what harm it does.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 01-13-10 at 03:59 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #185
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is the exception and not the rule. Being that whites pretty much run the country or are the majority, it changes the odds.



    Then why is it disingenuous? You just countered your own argument?



    I agree, but it does not change the fact that the racism against a person who is not white is much more prevalent in our society. It is getting better and has been for years, but it is alive and well.

    We see examples of this everyday with posters here.
    I just realized I had read your response incorrectly. I mistakenly thought your were saying "I'm sure they do, but not on the same level" talking about individuals, but when I just reread the quote that you were responding to, it occurred to me that you were talking about the general comparison, not a case-by-case comparison.

    My mistake there. Essentially we agree. In general, more black people deal with a higher degree of discrimination than white people do.


    In individual cases, a white person may have dealt with a higher degree of discrimination in his/her life than many, if not most, black people.

    So, I wasn't contradicting myself because I had misinterpreted your statement to mean something other than what you actually meant.

    But if you had actually meant what I thought you meant, that argument was gold, man! (j/k. It was still poorly worded on my part, regardless.)
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 01-13-10 at 12:52 PM.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #186
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I notice you didn't address the point that no one is hurt by what my roommate and I say to each other. Instead, you just shrieked "ZOMG YOU KNOW IT'S WRONG!!!!11" again without actually explaining what harm it does.
    You and your friend are intentionally perpetuating false and ugly stereotypes. You are a part of the problem, whether you believe you are or not.

  7. #187
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    You and your friend are intentionally perpetuating false and ugly stereotypes. You are a part of the problem, whether you believe you are or not.
    To whom are we perpetuating these stereotypes if we do it in our own apartment? Each other? Are you telling me that if we slur each other enough and tell enough racial jokes, we'll start to believe those stereotypes ourselves? Ridiculous. The humor from racial jokes stems from the fact that people DON'T actually believe the stereotype. If they did, it wouldn't be funny, it would just be a matter-of-fact statement.

    For example: A joke calling Al-Qaeda members terrorists...not really a joke at all. A joke calling all Arabs terrorists...definite humor potential. If the audience actually believed that all Arabs were terrorists, why would it be funny?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #188
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    To whom are we perpetuating these stereotypes if we do it in our own apartment? Each other? Are you telling me that if we slur each other enough and tell enough racial jokes, we'll start to believe those stereotypes ourselves? Ridiculous. The humor from racial jokes stems from the fact that people DON'T actually believe the stereotype. If they did, it wouldn't be funny, it would just be a matter-of-fact statement.

    For example: A joke calling Al-Qaeda members terrorists...not really a joke at all. A joke calling all Arabs terrorists...definite humor potential. If the audience actually believed that all Arabs were terrorists, why would it be funny?
    This is the type of response I'd expect from a typical white male.









    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #189
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Race and religious slants are just no longer acceptable - there are countless ways of saying the same thing without being offensive about it.

    Even if the individual saying such things is not racist or a bigot - it's just in poor taste.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #190
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    To whom are we perpetuating these stereotypes if we do it in our own apartment? Each other? Are you telling me that if we slur each other enough and tell enough racial jokes, we'll start to believe those stereotypes ourselves? Ridiculous. The humor from racial jokes stems from the fact that people DON'T actually believe the stereotype. If they did, it wouldn't be funny, it would just be a matter-of-fact statement.
    "Racist jokes may be uncouth, but you laugh because they're based on truth..."

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •