View Poll Results: What do you think of the phrase 'He jewed me down'?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm highly offended by the phrase!

    29 23.77%
  • It's an insensitive choice of words

    45 36.89%
  • It depends entirely on the context

    13 10.66%
  • As long as it's not refering to real Jews

    2 1.64%
  • It's just an old expression that perfectly expresses its meaning!

    33 27.05%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 211

Thread: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

  1. #161
    Advisor JoeMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Antarctica
    Last Seen
    06-15-10 @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    429

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Why is it so hard for you to believe that white folks get discriminated against also?
    Every single race is discriminated...

    If they weren't, we would perceive all races the same - which we all know isn't true. On such objective things like applications, they often ask for race/ethnicity, that blatantly discriminates; why should it matter if we are all equal?

    On can make the argument that discrimination is a fact of nature -> human beings are by nature xenophobes.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former" - Albert Einstein

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You have no idea how many times I have had to say this, but: Jewish the ethnicity and Jewish the religion are two different things. You can be an atheist Jew (Karl Marx, for example) or even a Christian Jew.

    I am assuming you didn't already know that, in which case you would likely be in the majority.
    I was just kidding actually.

    You do know that, under Jewish law you are not a Jew unless you were born of a Jewish mother, I'm sure. If your mother is Jewish you have the right of return.

  3. #163
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-12-10 @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Sometimes political correctness can rob our language of its richness.
    I agree. For myself, I probably wouldn't use it, since it can be seen as insensitive and I am not fond of offending people. However we, as a country, have become so caught up in being PC that we are losing our identity. If you don't like it, don't use it. If others say it and it offends you, don't associate with them.

  4. #164
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,547

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Why is it so hard for you to believe that white folks get discriminated against also?
    I believe they do, just not on the same level.

    Hell I think affirmative action is discrimination, but it does not compare to the discrimination I personally have faced. This is without even going into my father and my fathers father.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #165
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I believe they do, just not on the same level.

    Hell I think affirmative action is discrimination, but it does not compare to the discrimination I personally have faced. This is without even going into my father and my fathers father.
    I've seen some pretty ****ed up race-based **** happen to white people in my life. If someone gets their ass kicked for being a certain color in a certain neighborhood, it isn't worse when it happens to a black person.

    The assumption that it isn't on the same level is a bit disingenuous. In general, it's probably not on the same level, Probably not even close. On average.

    But each individual case is different. A white guy growing up on the West Side of Chicago is probably going to have a rougher go of it than a black guy growing up in a mixed middle class suburb will.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #166
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,547

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I've seen some pretty ****ed up race-based **** happen to white people in my life. If someone gets their ass kicked for being a certain color in a certain neighborhood, it isn't worse when it happens to a black person.
    It is the exception and not the rule. Being that whites pretty much run the country or are the majority, it changes the odds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The assumption that it isn't on the same level is a bit disingenuous. In general, it's probably not on the same level, Probably not even close. On average.
    Then why is it disingenuous? You just countered your own argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    But each individual case is different. A white guy growing up on the West Side of Chicago is probably going to have a rougher go of it than a black guy growing up in a mixed middle class suburb will.
    I agree, but it does not change the fact that the racism against a person who is not white is much more prevalent in our society. It is getting better and has been for years, but it is alive and well.

    We see examples of this everyday with posters here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #167
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    You know guys, I'm not a big fan of comparing who has been hurt by ethnic/racial/religious prejudice more. I am a white man... and Jewish. I have been discriminated against, called names because of my religion, and had a swatika painted on my locker (as did a friend of mine who happened to be an Auschwitz survivor!!!). I think ANYONE who has been victimized by any of these types of slurs and attacks knows what it feels like. It's not worse, it's not better... it just is. I, myself, don't understand the motivations to participate... mostly because I have no desire to get into that mindset enough TO understand it. But the point is, whenever it happens, it harms all of us.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #168
    Student MsRetro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    01-24-10 @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    279

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I've seen some pretty ****ed up race-based **** happen to white people in my life. If someone gets their ass kicked for being a certain color in a certain neighborhood, it isn't worse when it happens to a black person.

    The assumption that it isn't on the same level is a bit disingenuous. In general, it's probably not on the same level, Probably not even close. On average.

    But each individual case is different. A white guy growing up on the West Side of Chicago is probably going to have a rougher go of it than a black guy growing up in a mixed middle class suburb will.
    To me, it actually seems more disingenuous to point out racism against white people and try to draw some sort of equivalency. Like Black Dog mentioned, there are, by comparison, far fewer situations where white folks are going to encounter significant discrimination.

    Just an offhand example: for a couple of years, I lived in a predominantly black neighborhood, and my daughters attended a neighborhood summer camp. My younger daughter was the victim of racially motivated bullying at the camp. We moved, and the problem has never occurred again.

    You can't tell me that a move one town north is going to solve a problem for someone who finds that they have a hard time getting hired over equally qualified white job applicants.

    CaptainCourtesy is right in that there isn't much to gain in throwing a victimization olympics. However, I feel we do need to honestly acknowledge which areas of discrimination are the most widespread.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation.

  9. #169
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    01-12-10 @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I believe they do, just not on the same level.

    Hell I think affirmative action is discrimination, but it does not compare to the discrimination I personally have faced. This is without even going into my father and my fathers father.
    I disagree with this completely. I have a black husband. I have mixed children. Racism against you is 99% of the time what you make of it. I have been called horrible things many times by black women. I have been told that I am stealing their men and threatened. But really, So what? Oh well. It isn't that tragic, my feelings aren't hurt and I really don't care if they are ignorant.

    My husband is sick to death of his own race and other minorities still using racism as an excuse. He was a single dad of two mixed children, whom we got custody of from their white mother, he went to college while working full-time and raising his kids without any monetary or physical help and now has his bachelors and a great career.

    The focus should not be on who is discriminated against the most. Stop whining and work together and get things accomplished. That is more likely to change the still-ignorant minds than anything else. How my parents and grandparents acted in the past, doesn't give me an excuse nor hold me liable for their actions today. I am responsible for myself.

  10. #170
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I was just kidding actually.

    You do know that, under Jewish law you are not a Jew unless you were born of a Jewish mother, I'm sure. If your mother is Jewish you have the right of return.
    Interesting... especially since it happens to be my mother who is Jewish.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •