View Poll Results: What do you think of the phrase 'He jewed me down'?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm highly offended by the phrase!

    29 23.77%
  • It's an insensitive choice of words

    45 36.89%
  • It depends entirely on the context

    13 10.66%
  • As long as it's not refering to real Jews

    2 1.64%
  • It's just an old expression that perfectly expresses its meaning!

    33 27.05%
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 211

Thread: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

  1. #91
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MsRetro View Post
    I'm not Jewish, but I have Jewish ancestry.

    I don't like "jewed me down" or any other phrase that equates being Jewish with parsimony, cheapness or financially cheating. I've met enough people who use the phrases with genuine bigotry in them.

    It's disgusting how many people have found it okay to tell me about how they got screwed in business because the other party was Jewish.

    Even if the phrase is neutral to you, it doesn't mean that it is in someone else's mouth. You could wind up conveying an idea that you really don't intend. I'd suggest a different choice of words, honestly.
    Exactly. I've heard the term used plenty before and understand that many don't mean it to be offensive, but I'd have to be the stupidest mother****er on earth to use it at work or in a social situation.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 01-11-10 at 01:56 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #92
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MsRetro View Post
    I read Blazing Saddles as a statement about racism, rather than a racist work.
    Sorry, I did not mean Blazing Saddles, I meant "Jewing down." Blazing Saddles was a statement about racism.

  3. #93
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    So you're saying the electrician in question is devoted to making a profitable business and is rather intolerant of constant price cuts?
    Not quite the direction I was heading in. Keep in mind (when discussing racism, this seems to have to be pointed out repeatedly. Not necessarily you, Jerry, just in general) that not all bigoted comments are created equal. In other words, bigotry is not a zero sums game in which once a comment has achieved "bigotry" status it is officially equal to the most offensive rhetoric in existence. Rather, I'm really thinking that once you use a phrase in an angry manner that paints an entire race/ethnic/culture in a negative light, you really are part of the problem, as it were. It creates a racist undercurrent that allows much bigger and badder racism to climb onto its shoulders.

    I've been reading about intellectualism in the twentieth century (The Modern Mind, by Peter Watson), and the current section of the book I'm at is detailing the shakers and the movers in Eastern Europe, many of whom were Jewish. The climate it paints is one of such an undercurrent of negative anti-semitism that it stunned me how small of a push was required of Hitler to take it to the next level. Now, I'm not Godwining this. "Jewing me down" is a million years away from the Holocaust. I'm only saying that using bigoted terms in a negative manner contributes to the groundwork that makes institutionalized racism possible.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 01-11-10 at 02:05 PM.

  4. #94
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    i voted for the second choice.

    here's another to think about. just "nigger rig it" or a variation there of.

    mtm1963
    the word nigger is racist, period. not just insensitive, but racist.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #95
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It was commonplace 30-60 yrs ago. My Dad, who most definately had nothing against Jews at all, used it regularly. I was in my 20's before it even occurred to me that someone might take it as a "racial" slur.

    When I was growing up in the country, there was a lot of barter and private sales. Typically EVERYONE asked 20-40% more for something than they would "take", and EVERYONE buying tried to "jew him down" on the price.

    Someone who could negotiate the price down to the bare minimum the sellar was willing to take was viewed with respect; thus, the young Goshin assumed that this meant Jews were held in respect for being hard bargainers. I was actually surprised as a young man to hear someone say that Jews were often resented for being sharp at business... this ran contrary to my early experiences, that a sharp trader was respected.
    as a kid, i had no idea what it even meant, and i suspect some people are the same.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Not quite the direction I was heading in. Keep in mind (when discussing racism, this seems to have to be pointed out repeatedly. Not necessarily you, Jerry, just in general) that not all bigoted comments are created equal. In other words, bigotry is not a zero sums game in which once a comment has achieved "bigotry" status it is officially equal to the most offensive rhetoric in existence. Rather, I'm really thinking that once you use a phrase in an angry manner that paints an entire race/ethnic/culture in a negative light, you really are part of the problem, as it were. It creates a racist undercurrent that allows much bigger and badder racism to climb onto its shoulders.

    I've been reading about intellectualism in the twentieth century (The Modern Mind, by Peter Watson), and the current section of the book I'm at is detailing the shakers and the movers in Eastern Europe, many of whom were Jewish. The climate it paints is one of such an undercurrent of negative anti-semitism that it stunned me how small of a push was required of Hitler to take it to the next level. Now, I'm not Godwining this. "Jewing me down" is a million years away from the Holocaust. I'm only saying that using bigoted terms in a negative manner contributes to the groundwork that makes institutionalized racism possible.
    The OP asserts that the man in question is defiantly not a racist or a bigot. So as hatred of Jews is not an issue here, the only way "bigoted" could apply is if the man were "bigoted" in favor of his business.

    Imo he's not bigoted and it's not a bigoted term, however.

  7. #97
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    the word nigger is racist, period. not just insensitive, but racist.
    I think "nigger" will only have no bite when the social and economic status of black people is at least equal to other races. It's why Jewish racist epithets in America have so little bite (Jews are at least equal and in many cases superior in economic status) and racist epithets against all other white people in America have no bite at all (they are entirely mainstream in American culture).

  8. #98
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The OP asserts that the man in question is defiantly not a racist or a bigot. So as hatred of Jews is not an issue here, the only way "bigoted" could apply is if the man were "bigoted" in favor of his business.

    Imo he's not bigoted and it's not a bigoted term, however.
    I understand that, and I accept the full possibility that the electrician may not be a bigot in the least. I'm only saying that contributing epithets or sayings that paint an entire race/ethnicity in a negative light (and let's be honest, the sentiment behind "Jewing me down" ain't positive) to the English language does nothing good for that race/ethnicity. It's also nothing like "I just got gyped!" where a lot of people aren't even associating the saying with actual gypsies. I think most people who've managed to graduated with a Junior High School educational level are aware that "he Jewed me down" refers to Jews.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    I am an atheist. And you're a racist moron.
    Uh oh!

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the phrase "He jewed me down"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The OP asserts that the man in question is defiantly not a racist or a bigot. So as hatred of Jews is not an issue here, the only way "bigoted" could apply is if the man were "bigoted" in favor of his business.

    Imo he's not bigoted and it's not a bigoted term, however.
    I can assure you, I've never heard a racist word out of his mouth. He definitely used it as an expression.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •