View Poll Results: Should we legalize pot?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 79.71%
  • no

    24 17.39%
  • I forget

    4 2.90%
  • bang a gong

    3 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 537

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized?

  1. #61
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    I agree that pot is no more dangerous than alchohol.
    I think that having one legal dangerous drug is enough.
    There is room for compromise maybe.
    A relatively low thc content bud or hash may be an answer.
    How does a low content THC bud answer anything?

    A person would do one of 2 things, buy quality marijuana illegally still, and smoke one or 2 hits for the same effect, or buy your legal low THC and smoke several joints.

    This is like saying that beer is safer than a scotch, they both get you just as drunk, and have the exact same effects, the only difference is dosage and concentration.

    glad I read on before hitting send:

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver
    like only allowing alchohol to be sold as absinthe.
    Those are two different drugs you are comparing there, if you wanted a parallel, then your argument would have to say "but pot laced with PCP should be illegal"
    Last edited by marduc; 01-08-10 at 06:08 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  2. #62
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Yeah, but the governments still sanction it for sell. Tobacco should be banned but the governments of Yurp and the rest of the world are making tons of money on t tobacco, the most dangerous drug in the world. It's even more addictive than hard narcotics.

    It 's legality is as hypocritical as the bloddy English's Opium War against China.
    It wasnt just the English it was Britain.
    Just because tobacco should be banned doesnt mean cannabis shouldnt be.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by roderic View Post
    The main areas in which a portion of pot-smokers impact on society, a risk carried by all users:
    social and health-care costs, loss of productivity

    To cite the con-side of the argument:
    "Smoked marijuana damages the brain, heart, lungs, and immune system. It impairs learning and interferes with memory, perception, and judgment. Smoked marijuana contains cancer-causing compounds and has been implicated in a high percentage of automobile crashes and workplace accidents. Marijuana-related visits to hospital emergency rooms have tripled since 1990. Marijuana is also associated with gateway behavior leading to more extensive drug use. This phenomenon poses serious concerns given the significant increase in marijuana use by teenagers.
    ~ Office of National Drug Control Policy, 2000"
    While this sounds worse than I think it is, it can not be entirely dismissed.
    Sorry, but I don't see how this supports your assertion that there are negative externalities which are caused by marijuana. Society is not harmed by mere virtue of my smoking marijuana, and if I become less productive as a consequence of marijuana use that, in and of itself, is not a negative externality because nobody should be depending on my being productive. If I'm face down in the gutter somewhere I'm not harming anyone but myself.

    Well, it's not clear if and how much it is causative for adolescents who use heavily in their formative years.
    It does not follow that millions would be schizophrenic if pot can indeed be more than just a trigger.
    As I said, I consider it to be a marginal phenomenon, but one can not dismiss it. Age restriction is a must when considering legalising.
    Smoking cigarettes causes cancer. We know this because it contains carcinogens and millions of people who smoke cigarettes get cancer.

    If marijuana caused schizophrenia in the same way cigarettes caused cancer then there'd be a schizophrenia epidemic in the US. That is not the case.

    I agree that marijuana can increase the risk of schizophrenia in individuals who are already predisposed towards that disorder, but implying that it causes it is just silly.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    It wasnt just the English it was Britain.
    Just because tobacco should be banned doesnt mean cannabis shouldnt be.
    And what do you think banning marijuana actually accomplishes?

  5. #65
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    I say yes. Then perhaps the dope dealing dropouts in my street would pack the **** up and ship out.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    How are we defining legal? Legal do use for recreational use? medicinal only? Mere posession? Legal to package, sell and distribute? Legal to use while driving?

    What?

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    How are we defining legal? Legal do use for recreational use? medicinal only? Mere posession? Legal to package, sell and distribute? Legal to use while driving?

    What?
    Legal like cigarettes or alcohol.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Legal like cigarettes or alcohol.
    The laws concerning those two are quite different from each other.

    So which will it be?

    Legal like cigarettes? Or legal like Booze?
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 01-08-10 at 06:32 PM.

  9. #69
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by roderic View Post
    The main areas in which a portion of pot-smokers impact on society, a risk carried by all users:
    social and health-care costs, loss of productivity

    To cite the con-side of the argument:
    "Smoked marijuana damages the brain, heart, lungs, and immune system. It impairs learning and interferes with memory, perception, and judgment. Smoked marijuana contains cancer-causing compounds and has been implicated in a high percentage of automobile crashes and workplace accidents. Marijuana-related visits to hospital emergency rooms have tripled since 1990. Marijuana is also associated with gateway behavior leading to more extensive drug use. This phenomenon poses serious concerns given the significant increase in marijuana use by teenagers.
    ~ Office of National Drug Control Policy, 2000"
    Although there is room to dispute some of these claims, we can let them stand for the sake of this argument.

    Which is worse, the negative effects of marijuana the drug, or the negative effects of prohibition the policy?

    I would dare say prohibition is far more damaging than the drug itself, and this is real harm that we can do something about.

    Any of the potential harms caused by marijuana (the drug) occur independently of the legality of the drug, legalization has a negligible impact here.

    What we need to be concerned with are the negative effects of the prohibition, which can be drastically impacted.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  10. #70
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    How does a low content THC bud answer anything?

    A person would do one of 2 things, buy quality marijuana illegally still, and smoke one or 2 hits for the same effect, or buy your legal low THC and smoke several joints.

    This is like saying that beer is safer than a scotch, they both get you just as drunk, and have the exact same effects, the only difference is dosage and concentration.

    glad I read on before hitting send:"

    Selling cannabis that is weaker than the skunk or white widow is a compromise as I stated in an earlier post.
    If we are going to allow cannabis to be legalised then it would be more sensible to have pot which is less dangerous.
    If someone wants to get wasted on alchohol or pot then there is not much we can do to stop them.



    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Those are two different drugs you are comparing there, if you wanted a parallel, then your argument would have to say "but pot laced with PCP should be illegal"
    Absinthe not only has a high alchohol content but also contains wormwood which has the same effect as thc so my argument stands.

Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •