View Poll Results: Should we legalize pot?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 79.71%
  • no

    24 17.39%
  • I forget

    4 2.90%
  • bang a gong

    3 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 537

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    It can bring on depression and make people delusional.
    If you have been smoking it for fifty years and you have never met a 'pot head' then you couldnt have been looking.
    You dont die of an overdose and it doesnt usually make people violent but its still a nasty drug
    How do you know? Have you ever tried it? Being broke depresses me. "dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope." (furry freak brothers)

  2. #32
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    If and only if it is then stringently taxed and regulated.

    Cannabis should be available in pharmacies, behind the counter. It should be illegal for sale to minors, illegal to advertise, and there should be strict laws governing public consumption and/or intoxication. Much the same way that tobacco and other drugs should be handled. Tax monies should go healthcare and rehabilitation programs.

  3. #33
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by freedomofusa View Post
    angry- fact is people are going to smoke whether or not it's legal. And we are going to continue to pay over 30k per prisoner in tax dollars to jail people that are only hurting themselves (dealers included! Buyers do it to themselves)

    Legalizing it would:

    -Make us a TON of money. The government could tax the $h!+ out of it and the lazy pot heads could make up for their lack of income tax.
    -Eliminate it from being a gateway drug. It is ONLY a gateway drug BECAUSE it is illegal. Think about it.
    -Save us a ton of money. Who wants to put potheads in jail? Just let them hang out on their couches. They aren't causing many problems, except perhaps starting chaos in their video games

    Come on people, this is beneficial to ALL, smokers and non.
    You have a point but making it legal because some people are going to do it anyway is not really a reason to legitimise it
    .If legitimising pot brings about a huge rise in mental illness then your argument falls apart. It is known that pot exacerbates depression and makes people delusional if taken in extreme.
    Alchohol doing the same is no reason legalise another dangerous drug.
    I dont know about the USA but in Europe we have all but made tobacco illegal to be smoked in public places because it is dangerous drug.

  4. #34
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    wait a minute, pot induced schizophrenia? what?
    he got scizophrenia from using pot

  5. #35
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    How do you know? Have you ever tried it? Being broke depresses me. "dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope." (furry freak brothers)
    I have smoked it and eaten it. I have known a lot of people that have been tokers.
    A few have been losers that smoked dope and some have smoked dope then become losers.
    Ive never met a toker who didnt become agitated if they couldnt get a spliff but somehow they reckoned that pot wasnt addictive.
    All of the people that I have known that had been a toker for a long time have been just as much a loser as drunkards..they just didnt realise it.

  6. #36
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    For people who say ALL drugs should be legal.. I tend to agree that the drug war is a bad idea. But does this include Rohypnol and other so-called "date rape drugs"? Does this include tranquilizers or anesthetics such as chloroform that could be used as a weapon? Does this include antibiotics that produce drug-resistant disease strains when taken unnecessarily? Does this include chemical weapons or other substances used in their development?
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  7. #37
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    For people who say ALL drugs should be legal.. I tend to agree that the drug war is a bad idea. But does this include Rohypnol and other so-called "date rape drugs"?
    Like other hard drugs, I would require that people purchasing them present photo ID and sign for the dosage and quantity they receive. I'm on "date rape drugs" right now; I have to take enough "date rape drugs" in a month to sneaky Pete an entire college campus just to keep myself out of trouble. I get these drugs on no more authority than my own signature plus my doctor's.

    How much more dangerous would it be, really, if the doctor's signature were not required? It isn't hard to fake my symptoms, and I got prescribed my drugs on my first visit to a nurse practitioner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Does this include tranquilizers or anesthetics such as chloroform that could be used as a weapon?
    Ten dollars in nickels and a two dollar pair of pantyhose will do the same thing cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Does this include antibiotics that produce drug-resistant disease strains when taken unnecessarily?
    Doctors prescribe these unnecessarily all the time. Status quo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Does this include chemical weapons or other substances used in their development?
    Governments shouldn't be allowed to own chemical weapons. As far as "substances used in their development", I could easily kill a small town for a couple hundred dollars and I am a caveman compared to some of my friends. There's no way to control this.

  8. #38
    User Jiyuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western Washington
    Last Seen
    10-15-14 @ 01:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    105

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    I don't smoke it but once upon a time I did. Yes, they should legalize it but with restrictions. I know some are going, "Say what"?!!!

    I think it should be used in the privacy of a dwelling (house, apt, whatever) and not out while driving. My reason for this is I was an insurance agent for 25 yrs. and young drivers were shown to have less reactive time in accidents and also other drivers.

    Now, I am not going to go looking for a link.

    It should still be considered "Driving under the influence" if pulled over and they find out your higher than a kite. I say keep that ticket as a way to insure responsibility when under the influence.

    I am sure any reasonable person would agree with this idea.
    We may not agree on everything but I bet we could find some common ground.

  9. #39
    User freedomofusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    01-09-10 @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    The fact is, people are going to do it either way and we are spending a ton of money putting people behind bars (which corrupts people more) for doing something that is only going to hurt themselves. We could be MAKING money on something people are already doing instead of spending it! HELLO!!!! Liberals- this means legalizing pot and social liberation. Republicans- it is good for the economy, and we all know you know economics like no others...
    This is something both parties should be uniting on!

    As for the addiction issue...so is coffee. Let's make that illegal, and HEY chocolate while we are at it (especially considering if you eat enough chocolate it has an effect similar to THC- but you would have to eat like 40lbs) It is addictive, yes, but PSYCHOLOGICALLY. Which means it is all in your HEAD. Don't drink alcohal when you are a big time alcoholic and that can KILL you it is so physically addictive. Drink too much, that'll kill you as well. But hey, alcohol is way more harmless than pot.

    Look, if you don't think alcohol should be legal, fine. But if you are ranting about something like marijuana being legal and you think alcohol should be...I have no respect for that because that is just ridiculous!

    Anything not used in moderation (or sometimes used at all) can cause mental illness. The REAL issue with legalizing marijuana is the idiots that would smoke around kids and not realize that this type of second hand smoke would do more than just cause lung irritation- it would get them high. But again these are the same idiots that would do it anyway.

    Legalizing it would not cause more potheads, those who smoke will continue to but contribute to their country through taxation everytime they do...and those who did not like it before will still dislike marijuana. So if they are going to do it anyway why not save some money and capitalize on it????

  10. #40
    Borg Commander roderic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    879

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    You have a point but making it legal because some people are going to do it anyway is not really a reason to legitimise it
    It's not just some people, but masses of them.
    That's not a sufficient reason on its own, but it adds impact to the points raised, most importantly regarding the cost of policing versus the income from taxation.
    .If legitimising pot brings about a huge rise in mental illness then your argument falls apart. It is known that pot exacerbates depression and makes people delusional if taken in extreme.
    I doesn't.
    The negative impact in triggering or amplifying mental health problems is marginal and mostly concerning adolescent users who should be excluded from sales licensing, same as with alcohol.

    Alchohol doing the same is no reason legalise another dangerous drug.
    I dont know about the USA but in Europe we have all but made tobacco illegal to be smoked in public places because it is dangerous drug.
    The health risks of regular marijuana consumption are considerably lower than of alcohol and tobacco, and consumption in public could be equally restricted as for tobacco.
    "REGRETTABLE NECESSITY, n. An avoidable atrocity. The term is often employed by presidents and prime ministers when announcing bombings of civilian targets and invasions of small countries."
    —Chaz Bufe

Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •