View Poll Results: Should we legalize pot?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 79.71%
  • no

    24 17.39%
  • I forget

    4 2.90%
  • bang a gong

    3 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 537

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized?

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    One meaning of anecdote is "not published". Since my posts are published on this forum for the whole world to read then it is no longer anecdotal.

  2. #292
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Do too!
    Havent.......

  3. #293
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I am questioning whether pot smoking can be a trigger for pre-existing mental illness.
    Honestly, I may've missed it throughout this whole thread. Were there any official studies definitively stating it definitely did not? It seemed everything I've seen varies from "yes it does" to "we can't definitively say yes or not". And it seems many are attempting to take the fact that they can't definitively say yes or no as reason enough to act like, imply, and assume there's no danger of pot doing such a thing. Evidence I've seen thus far point to it being questionable at best to likely at worst with having no affect being the least likely option. But perhaps I missed a study showing that it flat out doesn't have an effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    One meaning of anecdote is "not published". Since my posts are published on this forum for the whole world to read then it is no longer anecdotal.
    You're proving my point about your debate style, or really lack there of.

  4. #294
    Borg Commander roderic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    879

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    I have no access to up to date statistics that show how many people are reported to be mentally ill in connection with cannabis and you have no statistics that could dispute the proffessors statement.
    Given the choice between believing the learned proffessor and a toker in a debate about legalising cannabis I will ( with all due respect) believe the proffessor.
    I do not dispute what the prof said, quite the opposite if you cared to follow my responses to other posters.

    I am not questioning that there is a risk, but am asking to quantify it. Is it significant, or are the guardians of morality and public order making a mountain out of a mole-hill as so often?
    Sorry, popular media quoting a suggestion from a researcher about the potential ill-effects does not convince me that cannabis should remain illegal.
    If one took every warning of possible side-effects seriously, one shouldn't even take Aspirin. lol
    Last edited by roderic; 01-11-10 at 04:30 PM.
    "REGRETTABLE NECESSITY, n. An avoidable atrocity. The term is often employed by presidents and prime ministers when announcing bombings of civilian targets and invasions of small countries."
    óChaz Bufe

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Honestly, I may've missed it throughout this whole thread. Were there any official studies definitively stating it definitely did not? It seemed everything I've seen varies from "yes it does" to "we can't definitively say yes or not". And it seems many are attempting to take the fact that they can't definitively say yes or no as reason enough to act like, imply, and assume there's no danger of pot doing such a thing. Evidence I've seen thus far point to it being questionable at best to likely at worst with having no affect being the least likely option. But perhaps I missed a study showing that it flat out doesn't have an effect.
    You are correct and I am questioning the validity of those studies for making such a claim. If you have 2 populations, each with 100 people. Pop A smokes pot heavily and sees 10% of it's members develop depression and schizophrenia. Pop B does NOT smoke pot and sees 1% of it's members develop depression and schizophrenia. The studies are claiming that at the least pot is triggering the depression/schizophrenia, if not causing it. I am saying that the population of depressed and schizophrenic people prefer to smoke pot, but the pot causes nothing and triggers nothing that would not already have occurred without it. From what I read about the studies, nothing dictated that pot was a trigger.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 01-11-10 at 04:32 PM.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Honestly, I may've missed it throughout this whole thread. Were there any official studies definitively stating it definitely did not? It seemed everything I've seen varies from "yes it does" to "we can't definitively say yes or not". And it seems many are attempting to take the fact that they can't definitively say yes or no as reason enough to act like, imply, and assume there's no danger of pot doing such a thing. Evidence I've seen thus far point to it being questionable at best to likely at worst with having no affect being the least likely option. But perhaps I missed a study showing that it flat out doesn't have an effect.



    You're proving my point about your debate style, or really lack there of.
    How so? The world according to you?

  7. #297
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    But perhaps I missed a study showing that it flat out doesn't have an effect.
    It's a fallacy to ask someone to prove a negative. The burden of proof is on those people who claim MJ causes mental health problems.

  8. #298
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    I mean no offense to you, but I've seen numerous studies ranging from the two ends of the spectrum I said earlier, generally conducted by varying well studied scientists and individuals and each generally seperate from each other. In general, while I understand your hestitation, I hope you'd understand that many people are likely to trust that amount of evidence over your own simple belief, based simply on a guess, on the matter when it is also relatively clear from your postings that you definitely have a dog in this fight.

    I respect your opinion, but honestly your opinion does not invalidate nor counter numerous studies.

    As to Liberal, save your breath. You've shown yourself, again and again and again, not interested in debate or conversation but just dodging and deflection. I'm not going to help you derail this thread any longer by taking your baits. You want to be addressed, actually talk about the subject matter.

  9. #299
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by roderic View Post
    I do not dispute what the prof said, quite the opposite if you cared to follow my responses to other posters.

    I am not questioning that there is a risk, but am asking to quantify it. Is it significant, or are the guardians of morality and public order making a mountain out of a mole-hill as so often?
    Sorry, popular media quoting a suggestion from a researcher about the potential ill-effects does not convince me that cannabis should remain illegal.
    If one took every warning of possible side-effects seriously, one shouldn't even take Aspirin. lol
    I take your point but a professors opinion quoted in popular media convinces me more than tokers.

    I respect yours but agree with him.

    Thanks Roderic
    Last edited by angrybeaver; 01-11-10 at 04:42 PM.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I mean no offense to you, but I've seen numerous studies ranging from the two ends of the spectrum I said earlier, generally conducted by varying well studied scientists and individuals and each generally seperate from each other. In general, while I understand your hestitation, I hope you'd understand that many people are likely to trust that amount of evidence over your own simple belief, based simply on a guess, on the matter when it is also relatively clear from your postings that you definitely have a dog in this fight.

    I respect your opinion, but honestly your opinion does not invalidate nor counter numerous studies.
    What are the two ends of the spectrum?

    I want to see the science that causes them to reach a conclusion that pot is a trigger at a minimum. I am surprised they are able to make such a claim.

    That is the scientific method. Given evidence of adjustment of facts and coercion of the peer review process that has come to light in the climate change debate, I am sure you will forgive me if I look on government subsidized research on drugs reaching a conclusion that they are bad for you.

Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •