View Poll Results: Should we legalize pot?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 79.71%
  • no

    24 17.39%
  • I forget

    4 2.90%
  • bang a gong

    3 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 537

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized?

  1. #271
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    As I'm sure you noticed after posting this, your own link contradicts your argument:

    "Whether the use of cannabis triggers the onset of schizophrenia or depression in otherwise vulnerable people or whether it actually causes these conditions in non-predisposed people is not yet resolved."



    Why does something have to be declared harmless for it to be legal? By your logic, recreational use of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, motor vehicles, swimming pools, and just about everything else should be illegal before marijuana. Nothing in life is harmless. People die from toasters and vending machines. Driving your car to buy some pot is more dangerous than ingesting it. Let people make up their own mind.



    You don't have to fall off a cliff to see the effects of someone else doing it.

    Well, I don't have to. You might.
    When you reach my age, one finds that all people are different, and react in different ways. It is hard to use blanket statements, and expect them to apply to all people. I know people, that I feel eat to much cake---but that is up to them. I'm not their Mama.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  2. #272
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    Further research is needed BEFORE cannabis should be considered to be legalised not after.
    I would not be willing to run the risk of causing many people mental health prolems just because tokers cannot be convinced that the poison that they take is not toxic.
    Why are you not equally as strongly arguing for the prohibition of Alcohol, whose negetive qualities is on par if not greater than Marijuana and whose positive reasons for being legal are relatively the same?

    If its 21 years of age just like Alcohol the sample size of the population that can be affected by it is no larger than what the sample size for alcohol is. Alcohol has similar negative effects. Why should it matter which thing they get the negative effects from. And furthermore what right does the government have in saying that you're allowed to use this recreational drug that has many adverse affects but you're not allowed to use this recreational drug that has similar adverse affects?

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    I don't believe you. You have insulted me way too much. I may have to report you. You are bullying me.

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not insulting YOU, I'm insulting your insinuation. You need to understand the difference. Your argument is idiotic. Its ridiculous. Its hillariously bad. To argue that Water is more dangerous than Pot is ludicrous on so many levels its not funny.

    Now, as to "ODing" on weed I've never made that suggestion. My suggestion is that its ridiculous to say water is MORE dangerous because of that fact.

    For one, your body needs water. This is an item necessary for life to exist. You can not survive without having water of some kind on a relatively regular basis. This is not the case for marijuana. So to start off water has a large positive, one Marijuana will never and can never touch....it physically helps keep you alive. Marijuana is a non-essential thing you add into your body.

    While mild compared to Alcohol and some hard drug withdrawls, there is still withdrawl symptoms associated with Marijuana. There is legitimately studied memory issues in the short term associated with Marijuana and some studies suggest long term potential damage. There is evidence of it impariing coordination and critical thinking, both of which would be determinental when ones is driving. While not physically addictive, there is legitimate studied and anecdotal evidence of it being psychologically addictive. While not the cause of the manifestation of various mental medical issues, there is evidence to suggest that it may act as an excellerant or trigger for such things if already present with the individual.

    I'm sorry, but all of that fully and completely trumps the potential dangers of simply drinking water.

    If you want to talk about the dangers of contaminated water, fine, but then you have to talk about marijuana laced with other substances as well.

    If you want to talk about water intoxication (the overdosing you're talking about) then you're generally talking about water consumption PLUS another action....either a contest causing one to drink extremely unusually large amounts and stop bodily functions from occuring or extremely strenuous sports activity done in an unsafe manner is typically the cause...which in that case you need to talk about smoking pot PLUS driving and other such "Pot + something else" situations.

    No, you can take your stereotypical pathetic "pothead hippy rhetoric" elsewhere, because as I said previously, those kind of ridiculous arguments are part of the reason why pot is not likely to be legalized within the next decade. You are the pot movements equivilent to 9/11 truthers or Obama Birthers, you are so deluded in your arguments and so exaggerated in your debate that you embarress those that agree with you causing them to have to argue against you while simultaneously causing the entire movement to look like you and the rest of those in the extreme wing of it to those members of the public that are in the middle and are the key group to either getting it legalized or not.
    I don't believe you. Your reality is not my reality. Just because you disagree with me is no reason to infer insults upon my person.

    You are not being a good role model for such a high ranking member.

  5. #275
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    When you reach my age, one finds that all people are different, and react in different ways. It is hard to use blanket statements, and expect them to apply to all people. I know people, that I feel eat to much cake---but that is up to them. I'm not their Mama.
    Like you, I trust my own judgment more than that of others. But unlike you, I don't base my knowledge on personal experience. I have done nothing. I agree with most of the points you are making, I just don't feel that your argument of having to try something yourself before developing a valid opinion makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not insulting YOU, I'm insulting your insinuation. You need to understand the difference. Your argument is idiotic. Its ridiculous. Its hillariously bad. To argue that Water is more dangerous than Pot is ludicrous on so many levels its not funny.

    Now, as to "ODing" on weed I've never made that suggestion. My suggestion is that its ridiculous to say water is MORE dangerous because of that fact.

    For one, your body needs water. This is an item necessary for life to exist. You can not survive without having water of some kind on a relatively regular basis. This is not the case for marijuana. So to start off water has a large positive, one Marijuana will never and can never touch....it physically helps keep you alive. Marijuana is a non-essential thing you add into your body.
    I know you took my last response as a joke, but I actually agree that water is more dangerous than cannabis. There are a lot of things that your body needs that can kill you if you overdose. These things used responsibly are relatively harmless, and the same is possibly true for marijuana. But like anything, if you drink too much water or take too much iron or iodine then they can kill you. Water intoxication is more dangerous than cannabis overdose because it is easier to do and also because people remain unaware of the danger.
    Last edited by Tsunami; 01-11-10 at 02:50 PM.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  6. #276
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Why are you not equally as strongly arguing for the prohibition of Alcohol, whose negetive qualities is on par if not greater than Marijuana and whose positive reasons for being legal are relatively the same?

    If its 21 years of age just like Alcohol the sample size of the population that can be affected by it is no larger than what the sample size for alcohol is. Alcohol has similar negative effects. Why should it matter which thing they get the negative effects from. And furthermore what right does the government have in saying that you're allowed to use this recreational drug that has many adverse affects but you're not allowed to use this recreational drug that has similar adverse affects?
    I have answered this many times in previous posts.

  7. #277
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 02:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    I disagree. It's current black market status means users get their drugs in an unregulated fashion right now. Legalizing will not increase the number of users, it will just take it off the black market. To do studies, you need users.
    You want to put people potentially at risk because just so you can toke without penalty

  8. #278
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    I don't believe you. Your reality is not my reality. Just because you disagree with me is no reason to infer insults upon my person.

    You are not being a good role model for such a high ranking member.
    You don't believe me? What don't you believe?

    Throughout this entire time you haven't not dealt with any argument I've made throughout. You CONTINUE to duck, dodge, and weave. This is not a "personal attack", its dicussing of your arguments and views. Your views are not YOU. Having a stupid view is not the same as being a stupid person.

    You have not once, in this entire thread, actually dealt with my content at all. If you want to debate, then debate. But just throwing out over exaggerations or poor debate tactics like appealing to anecdotal evidence is not debate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I know you took my last response as a joke, but I actually agree that water is more dangerous than cannabis. There are a lot of things that your body needs that can kill you if you overdose. These things used responsibly are relatively harmless, and the same is possibly true for marijuana. But like anything, if you drink too much water or take too much iron or iodine then they can kill you. Water intoxication is more dangerous than cannabis overdose because it is easier to do and also because people remain unaware of the danger.
    Wow...you're seriously trying to say that water is worse than marijuana.

    ....just wow.

    Please refer to my post 9 posts up and you'll see my argument against this notion. Just because water overdose, which is EXTREMELY unlikely and almost 99% of the time occurs not due to water but due to some kind of outward activity that combines with it, can cause death does not mean it is more dangerous than Marijuana.

    Put it this way...

    Find all the cases of "Water Drunk in excess + Holding it in for a contest = death" that you can, and I'll find all the "Smokes pot + drives car = death" and lets see whose total is higher.

  9. #279
    Borg Commander roderic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Thailand
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    879

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    This comment by PROFFESOR Joseph Rey.
    Could and should carry more weight than life time of posts by tokers and lets make drug legal posters
    There is no need for this, specially since the article doesn't actually show how dangerous cannabis is, you still have not produced any statistics or other indications of just how many people are reported to be mentally ill in connection with cannabis.

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    The only thing you can say about such studies is that a much higher percentage of people who smoke pot end up in serious depression or schizophrenia. Not that smoking pot triggers the onset of these diseases or that pot causes these diseases. Only that they correlate.
    I think it's well established that any mind-altering substances may act as a trigger for a latent mental health issue.
    They didn't do a control group or look to isolate the people genetically predisposed to depression or schizophrenia. They only observed the natural occurrence of pot smoking and mental illness. It is no surprise that people already at high risk of depression or schizophrenia concurrently seek self-medication through pot smoking. These users tend to be heavy users as well. Anecdote: I smoked 3-4 times a day for 23 years. I was a very heavy user. It was entirely self-medication. Once I got on proper medication, I put my bong away. To me, the high occurrence of heavy pot smoking is an indicator for mental illness and those users should be identified and treated. But heavy pot smoking is not the cause of mental illness.
    This makes sense, but I can cite anecdotal evidence of people who refuse to indulge in pot because they have a mental history and know it might unbalance them, and another who has not had this reservation and ended up in psychiatry after a grass and speed binge.
    The "correlation" is not an abstract, academic one, but is observable reality.
    "REGRETTABLE NECESSITY, n. An avoidable atrocity. The term is often employed by presidents and prime ministers when announcing bombings of civilian targets and invasions of small countries."
    —Chaz Bufe

  10. #280
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Like you, I trust my own judgment more than that of others. But unlike you, I don't base my knowledge on personal experience. I have done nothing. I agree with most of the points you are making, I just don't feel that your argument of having to try something yourself before developing a valid opinion makes sense.



    I know you took my last response as a joke, but I actually agree that water is more dangerous than cannabis. There are a lot of things that your body needs that can kill you if you overdose. These things used responsibly are relatively harmless, and the same is possibly true for marijuana. But like anything, if you drink too much water or take too much iron or iodine then they can kill you. Water intoxication is more dangerous than cannabis overdose because it is easier to do and also because people remain unaware of the danger.
    to me, Life is one big "tasting contest"--I try everything, to see what I like. the things I like, I order up a double. the things I don't like, I feed to the dog. I don't live in fear of death, I welcome it's coming. Calculated risk is fine with me---but I don't bungie jump.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •