View Poll Results: Should we legalize pot?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 79.71%
  • no

    24 17.39%
  • I forget

    4 2.90%
  • bang a gong

    3 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 537

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized?

  1. #161
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-18-12 @ 03:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    Thank you very much for your invitation but I posted them a while back.
    However I was responding to dcoke.
    you really haven't. all you've contributed are some semi-relevant thoughts about alcohol and some vague statements saying "weed is bad for you." you haven't mentioned your thoughts on the effects of the current policy. i brought up several issues, and you haven't responded at all. maybe i'm expecting too much, but you haven't made any kind of argument.

  2. #162
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by modobrofo View Post
    you really haven't. all you've contributed are some semi-relevant thoughts about alcohol and some vague statements saying "weed is bad for you." you haven't mentioned your thoughts on the effects of the current policy. i brought up several issues, and you haven't responded at all. maybe i'm expecting too much, but you haven't made any kind of argument.
    My thoughts on the subject where quite clear.
    It appears that you had trouble in following a simple argument so I will make it easier for you.
    Cannabis can do a great deal of harm to a cannabis smokers mental health.
    Alchohol can be harmful too.
    Alchohol is legal.
    Cannabis is not.
    Why have two harmful substances openly on the market to destroy peoples health?
    BUT...if we must legalise cannabis then it would be better to market a lower strength form than the very high strength ones that we find on the black market today.
    I hope that this is simple enough for you to understand.
    If it is not I cannot help you any further but I would suggest that you could be a victim of the very thing that I have warned about.

  3. #163
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    My thoughts on the subject where quite clear.
    It appears that you had trouble in following a simple argument so I will make it easier for you.
    Cannabis can do a great deal of harm to a cannabis smokers mental health.
    Alchohol can be harmful too.
    Alchohol is legal.
    Cannabis is not.
    Why have two harmful substances openly on the market to destroy peoples health?
    BUT...if we must legalise cannabis then it would be better to market a lower strength form than the very high strength ones that we find on the black market today.
    I hope that this is simple enough for you to understand.
    If it is not I cannot help you any further but I would suggest that you could be a victim of the very thing that I have warned about.
    If you don't mind me chiming in here---If there are two options offered to the consumer, which do you think they will go with?? the good stuff, or the watered down stuff.--It's out there now, today, for our choosing.--Most choose the good stuff.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  4. #164
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-18-12 @ 03:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    Why have two harmful substances openly on the market to destroy peoples health?
    No need to be condescending, it seems that you are the one who is having trouble understanding. My argument is that the consequences of prohibition far outweigh the consequences of people using marijuana. I'm asking that you address the negative externalities of prohibition, which include the following: fiscal costs of pursuing, trying, and incarcerating marijuana users, especially given the current state of our country (healthcare, education, economy, etc.); personal and societal costs like jailing parents, hindering future job opportunities, and exposing non-violent marijuana users to violent, real criminals; lost potential tax revenue ($40 to $100 bil. if same rate as cigarettes); empowering and funding drug cartels...and so on.

    The main concerns of those against legalization include the following: high driving, second-hand smoke, and inefficiency. There is no way a law legalizing marijuana would allow high driving. Even so, studies have shown that driving after smoking 3 joints in 15 minutes (a lot) is less dangerous than driving with a BAC of 0.08% (Marijuana And Actual Driving Performance). As for second-hand smoke, public smoking would surely be illegal, and those irresponsible enough to smoke around their children likely don't care about the law and are doing so anyway. The argument for laziness and stupidity is, well, lazy and stupid, and it is based entirely on stereotypes. There are plenty of lazy, stupid non-smokers and plenty of brilliant, motivated smokers.

    Even if we take these common concerns at face value (do you have others?), they are still, in my opinion, FAR worse than the consequences of prohibition. What do you think?

    As for your argument for legalizing weak marijuana, don't you think that people would just continue to illegally grow and consume more potent strains? Either that or just smoke more of the weaker stuff?

  5. #165
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    If you don't mind me chiming in here---If there are two options offered to the consumer, which do you think they will go with?? the good stuff, or the watered down stuff.--It's out there now, today, for our choosing.--Most choose the good stuff.
    Whats good stuff?
    If the only alchohol that we could buy was wine and beer but Scotch illegal maybe everyone would buy the illegal scotch but I doubt it.
    Ok you could just drink enough beer to waste yourself as badly much as drinking the scotch.
    Maybe this is a bad idea, maybe its not, but I am worried that the high thc forms of bud are just easier to consume and it seems that high thc intake is dangerous if consumed over a long period of time.
    If you are right and my compromise cant work then I think that cannabis should be banned outright.
    As I stated in previous posts the pot heads that I have known have all seemed to have been adversely affected by your so called ..good stuff.

  6. #166
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by modobrofo View Post
    No need to be condescending, it seems that you are the one who is having trouble understanding. My argument is that the consequences of prohibition far outweigh the consequences of people using marijuana. I'm asking that you address the negative externalities of prohibition, which include the following: fiscal costs of pursuing, trying, and incarcerating marijuana users, especially given the current state of our country (healthcare, education, economy, etc.); personal and societal costs like jailing parents, hindering future job opportunities, and exposing non-violent marijuana users to violent, real criminals; lost potential tax revenue ($40 to $100 bil. if same rate as cigarettes); empowering and funding drug cartels...and so on.

    The main concerns of those against legalization include the following: high driving, second-hand smoke, and inefficiency. There is no way a law legalizing marijuana would allow high driving. Even so, studies have shown that driving after smoking 3 joints in 15 minutes (a lot) is less dangerous than driving with a BAC of 0.08% (Marijuana And Actual Driving Performance). As for second-hand smoke, public smoking would surely be illegal, and those irresponsible enough to smoke around their children likely don't care about the law and are doing so anyway. The argument for laziness and stupidity is, well, lazy and stupid, and it is based entirely on stereotypes. There are plenty of lazy, stupid non-smokers and plenty of brilliant, motivated smokers.

    Even if we take these common concerns at face value (do you have others?), they are still, in my opinion, FAR worse than the consequences of prohibition. What do you think?

    As for your argument for legalizing weak marijuana, don't you think that people would just continue to illegally grow and consume more potent strains? Either that or just smoke more of the weaker stuff?
    What you have trouble understanding is that I have no interest in YOUR argument.
    You seem to think that because I have avoided your points, I have no answer to them.
    I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THEM.
    My point was quite narrow band, only concerned with the points that I stated above.
    Why have 2 poisons?
    If we have to legalise pot then why not weak pot as a compromise?

    The problems of enforcing a ban on cannabis is another argument of which I have not posted a comment on but will when I feel like it .
    As for your last comment, that is possible but maybe not everyone wants to get wasted on illegal pot when they can buy some mellow stuff in the shop down the road and maybe some will just buy lots of mellow stuff and get wasted anyway.
    Maybe most people will just enjoy a nice buzz with a good mellow bud and leave the potheads to smoke themselves into depression, loss of memory and
    hospital or prison.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    it seems that high thc intake is dangerous if consumed over a long period of time.
    This is where you are wrong. High thc cannabis is not dangerous.

  8. #168
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    03-18-12 @ 03:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    well, here we are on debatepolitics.com-sorry if i thought you were interested in debating. saying "LALALALA IM NOT INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY" isnt debate. attempting to debunk my argument is to debate, and you have failed to address it whatsoever. i guess that makes me the winner? wooooo

  9. #169
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-03-14 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    501

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    This is where you are wrong. High thc cannabis is not dangerous.
    You are wrong. It is.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should marijuana be legalized?

    Quote Originally Posted by angrybeaver View Post
    You are wrong. It is.
    Prove it.

    Let me add, that even if it were, that only hurts the user and no once else, so it is up to the user to decide if he/she wants to harm themselves this way.
    Last edited by reefedjib; 01-10-10 at 06:38 PM.

Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •