View Poll Results: Are Americans Brainwashed?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 50.63%
  • No

    25 31.65%
  • Other

    14 17.72%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 130

Thread: Are Americans Brainwashed?

  1. #81
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    If this recession results in booting most of the self-serving, egotistical, self-perpetuating deadwood in Congress and replacing them with patriots who honestly do have the best interest of the country at heart, it will have been worth it.
    You've solved the mystery!

    No seriously, I agree with you. If there's one thing that the recession has brought in good fortune, it is more awareness of our nation/governance/etc. Granted, there is a lot of craziness resulting from it, but its here nonetheless.


  2. #82
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    That has been true for a long time. It isn't so much being brainwashed, but being brain dead.
    Im not sure I completely agree with that, I would more classify it as brain drain (Yes I'm aware that already has a meaning). Our attention and focus is being sapped by things that are meaningless.

    Where I differ from many others is I feel that that sapping is not intentional, but accidental. I dont think people like TMZ or American Idol or other cultural fixations actively want to keep us distracted from the important things. They want to keep us watching them or using their products or listening to their music or whatever because it makes them money and when you've got a thousand different private institutions trying to do this all at once, you get brain drain.

    When things are good, people tend to become apathetic or disinterested in much beyond their own happy little worlds. But when things go bad, and people do start paying attention, there is much scurrying to protect turf and defend sacred cows. Just look how the Tea Partiers and Tax Protest groups have been demonized, misrepresented, downplayed, or just plain insulted by the leftwing media, Democrats, the Obama administration, and left wingers on the blogs. The hope seems to be that the non-apathetic will become apathetic again or just go away.
    The teabaggers have been insulted because it's a joke of a movement. There's no clear leaders, no clear message, no clear demographic, no clear goals, and no real organization. It's basically a mass of angry middle class people hooting like chimps because they didnt get what they wanted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    No seriously, I agree with you. If there's one thing that the recession has brought in good fortune, it is more awareness of our nation/governance/etc. Granted, there is a lot of craziness resulting from it, but its here nonetheless.
    And see I dont think it really has. I think it's brought down a lot of anger and paranoia but I dont really see any positives stemming from it. I dont see people being more aware or politically conscious, I dont see people taking a proactive role in politics, and I dont see any indication we've gotten past the same bad habits we always indulge in when it comes to politics.
    Last edited by Hoplite; 02-27-10 at 10:37 PM.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  3. #83
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Just look how the Tea Partiers and Tax Protest groups have been demonized, misrepresented, downplayed, or just plain insulted by the leftwing media, Democrats, the Obama administration, and left wingers on the blogs. The hope seems to be that the non-apathetic will become apathetic again or just go away.
    I think it has more to do with media hype, and figures in "news media" fanning the flames for their own enjoyment.

    The Boston Tea Party occured because of taxation without representation. We have representation now, and people still twist and shot.


  4. #84
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,511
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Im not sure I completely agree with that, I would more classify it as brain drain (Yes I'm aware that already has a meaning). Our attention and focus is being sapped by things that are meaningless.

    Where I differ from many others is I feel that that sapping is not intentional, but accidental. I dont think people like TMZ or American Idol or other cultural fixations actively want to keep us distracted from the important things. They want to keep us watching them or using their products or listening to their music or whatever because it makes them money and when you've got a thousand different private institutions trying to do this all at once, you get brain drain.
    I see what you're saying but I'm not buying into it. I think anybody who spends all his/her time in front the TV or on the internet or whatever recreational diversion is going to have a skewed view of the world no matter what they're watching or doing. There have always been distractions from the 'more important things'. We sometimes neglect to check the air in our tires until we see one that looks low. And few of us worry about our brakes much until they start grinding or squealing. I think it is the same re our socioeconomic and political health too. As long as everything seems okay we don't worry about it a lot.

    The teabaggers have been insulted because it's a joke of a movement. There's no clear leaders, no clear message, no clear demographic, no clear goals, and no real organization. It's basically a mass of angry middle class people hooting like chimps because they didnt get what they wanted.
    See? You insult, marginalize, dismiss, or demonize ordinary Americans--people earning their own keep and running businesses and raising families--instead of recognizing them as people who are no longer apathetic and who feel justified in being mad as hell. They don't see that they need leaders or organization and they don't give a tinkers' dam about demographics. They want honesty, integrity, fiscal accountability, and responsibility in their government. They are making it known that is what they expect of their leaders and they will be taking that into account at the ballot box.

    I'm hoping they can sustain their passion all the way through the next elections rather than be diverted from such mundane things as mowing their lawns, feeding their kids, earning a living, paying their bills, and such as that.

    And see I dont think it really has. I think it's brought down a lot of anger and paranoia but I dont really see any positives stemming from it. I dont see people being more aware or politically conscious, I dont see people taking a proactive role in politics, and I dont see any indication we've gotten past the same bad habits we always indulge in when it comes to politics.
    So if the Tea Partiers are not taking a proactive role in politics who is? What do you define as proactive?
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 02-27-10 at 10:59 PM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #85
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,511
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    I think it has more to do with media hype, and figures in "news media" fanning the flames for their own enjoyment.

    The Boston Tea Party occured because of taxation without representation. We have representation now, and people still twist and shot.
    No I think you're wrong. I think the modern day Tea Partiers are absolutely protesting taxation without representation. They are protesting people who are supposed to be in Washington representing the people but who instead are using their high office to increase their own power, prestige, personal wealth, and a gravy train into the future as far as the eye can see and are doing it on the backs of the people they are supposed to be representing.
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 02-27-10 at 11:02 PM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #86
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, it's the liberals. No, it's the conservatives. I've got a better one: it's anyone who says either "no it's the liberals or no it's the conservatives." Those are the folks that are brainwashed.
    You said it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #87
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    Liberal Americans are certainly brainwashed.
    So much hatred... Tisk, tisk.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  8. #88
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    I am not denying that there are some conservative puppets who know nothing at all, but they are exception to the rule. Liberals being mindless indoctrinated puppets is the rule.
    How about you try supporting an argument for once? Is that too much to ask of you? Or maybe you could tone down the partisan hackery.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #89
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I see what you're saying but I'm not buying into it. I think anybody who spends all his/her time in front the TV or on the internet or whatever recreational diversion is going to have a skewed view of the world no matter what they're watching or doing. There have always been distractions from the 'more important things'. We sometimes neglect to check the air in our tires until we see one that looks low. And few of us worry about our brakes much until they start grinding or squealing. I think it is the same re our socioeconomic and political health too. As long as everything seems okay we don't worry about it a lot.
    Consider we have created for ourselves an extremely mentally taxing modern world. A lot of things require our attention a lot of the time (vital or otherwise) and thus the small and not immediately apparent things tend to slip by.

    See? You insult, marginalize, dismiss, or demonize ordinary Americans--people earning their own keep and running businesses and raising families--instead of recognizing them as people who are no longer apathetic and who feel justified in being mad as hell.
    Because the movement is made of people who are just "mad as hell" and have no message and are less than clueless about political science or even how their own government works. I have little respect for people who cant even be bothered to figure out how their own government works before bitching about it.

    They don't see that they need leaders or organization and they don't give a tinkers' dam about demographics.
    That sorta backs up my argument that teabaggers are not the sharpest knives in the drawer

    They want honesty, integrity, fiscal accountability, and responsibility in their government. They are making it known that is what they expect of their leaders and they will be taking that into account at the ballot box.
    We ALL want that. Stapling a teabag to your forehead and adopting a pseudo-sexually named cause does NOT make you worthy of admiration or respect.

    I'm hoping they can sustain their passion all the way through the next elections rather than be diverted from such mundane things as mowing their lawns, feeding their kids, earning a living, paying their bills, and such as that.
    Yes such terrible things for us to be focused on.

    Much better to scream and rant and rave on national television about how the government is taking away all your money rather than, y'know, work.

    So if the Tea Partiers are not taking a proactive role in politics who is? What do you define as proactive?
    The people trying to actively influence policymakers at their own level, the people trying to bring forward information and present it to the public rather than go on tirades.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  10. #90
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,511
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Consider we have created for ourselves an extremely mentally taxing modern world. A lot of things require our attention a lot of the time (vital or otherwise) and thus the small and not immediately apparent things tend to slip by.

    Because the movement is made of people who are just "mad as hell" and have no message and are less than clueless about political science or even how their own government works. I have little respect for people who cant even be bothered to figure out how their own government works before bitching about it.

    That sorta backs up my argument that teabaggers are not the sharpest knives in the drawer

    We ALL want that. Stapling a teabag to your forehead and adopting a pseudo-sexually named cause does NOT make you worthy of admiration or respect.

    Yes such terrible things for us to be focused on.

    Much better to scream and rant and rave on national television about how the government is taking away all your money rather than, y'know, work.

    The people trying to actively influence policymakers at their own level, the people trying to bring forward information and present it to the public rather than go on tirades.
    I think your post primarily demonstrates that you don't know much about the Tea Parties or the people who are investing their time and energy to support them and participate in them.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •