View Poll Results: Are Americans Brainwashed?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 50.63%
  • No

    25 31.65%
  • Other

    14 17.72%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: Are Americans Brainwashed?

  1. #111
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    My whole point is that it's virtually impossible to discern a real message and that that's a problem. All I can really do is guess at what their message is based on what I see.

    "Or two"? The entire movement seems like a bowl of mixed nuts.

    I DO acknowledge that in any group there are idiots. My problem is I cant see any clear-cut examples of the rational people and the one's that are rational often have no idea what they're talking about.
    As I said, those who are clueless about what a group or movement is all about are subject to serious misconceptions when they are spoon fed or indoctrinated into what to think about them.

    If you had spent any time at one of these gatherings or talked with a number of the people represented there, I think you would have a much different image.

    Or if you are one of the brainwashed socialism-friendly big government types who opposes most real liberty, accountability, responsibility, and self-determination, it is possible you wouldn't get it even then.

    I don't know you, so I don't know whether your misconceptions about the Tea Parties come from really bad information or come from brainwashing or ideological tunnel vision. Maybe those last two things are one and the same. I don't know.
    Last edited by AlbqOwl; 03-01-10 at 11:33 PM.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #112
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    As I said, those who are clueless about what a group or movement is all about are subject to serious misconceptions when they are spoon fed or indoctrinated into what to think about them.
    What more do you want? I've been to their rallies, watched them on YouTube, talked to them on the internet, read their articles, and seen what their groups do to each other.

    If you had spent any time at one of these gatherings or talked with a number of the people represented there, I think you would have a much different image.
    I HAVE and I came away with what I have now. I'm all for citizens being proactive but just because you got your ass off the couch and are waving a sign around doesn't earn you any respect from me, that's a basic duty of a citizen to protest if something is wrong.

    Or if you are one of the brainwashed socialism-friendly big government types who opposes most real liberty, accountability, responsibility, and self-determination, it is possible you wouldn't get it even then.
    And see this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about; all rhetoric all the time with no real substance.

    I don't know you, so I don't know whether your misconceptions about the Tea Parties come from really bad information or come from brainwashing or ideological tunnel vision. Maybe those last two things are one and the same. I don't know.
    I find that about 95% of the time, if someone is accusing someone else of being "brainwashed" that they tend to be arguing from an intellectually weak position.

    Y'know all you've done is attacked me and said "no, you're wrong". You haven't actually demonstrated WHY I'm wrong. You regurgitate the boilerplate slogans but dont actually engage on any real intellectual level; a problem I find in most teabaggers.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  3. #113
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    he use of the term Brainwashed is misused and I guess clearly misinterpreted by a very many of those who responded to the vague open ended question.

    Some one early on said Liberals are and I would say that is a mistaken interpretation of the facts.

    Currently there are millions of people who were looking for answers to questions they were not getting when a charismatic speaker to some comes along and begins to say what they want to hear and they believe the endless supply of lies they hear.

    They become invested in the belief that something special has taken place and even when evidence begins to emerge that have make a terrible mistake they are reluctant face the truth for the fear looking stupid for falling for the con man in the first place.

    On the whole people of most every Nation are raised to believe theirs is the best place on earth to live even in countries run by a despot there will be some who think they have it better than they do.

    Some of this can be chalked up to pride of ownership it shows up in school spirit, and and in more dangerous forms like my God's better than your God.

    It's not Brainwashing it's mostly human nature, errors in judgment, wishful thinking and gullibility, among other things.

  4. #114
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    The APA says brainwashing is bull****.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #115
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,550
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    he use of the term Brainwashed is misused and I guess clearly misinterpreted by a very many of those who responded to the vague open ended question.

    Some one early on said Liberals are and I would say that is a mistaken interpretation of the facts.

    Currently there are millions of people who were looking for answers to questions they were not getting when a charismatic speaker to some comes along and begins to say what they want to hear and they believe the endless supply of lies they hear.

    They become invested in the belief that something special has taken place and even when evidence begins to emerge that have make a terrible mistake they are reluctant face the truth for the fear looking stupid for falling for the con man in the first place.

    It is perhaps the only explanation for how some hold on to certain beliefs despite an overwhelming body of evidence that disputes them.

    On the whole people of most every Nation are raised to believe theirs is the best place on earth to live even in countries run by a despot there will be some who think they have it better than they do.

    Some of this can be chalked up to pride of ownership it shows up in school spirit, and and in more dangerous forms like my God's better than your God.

    It's not Brainwashing it's mostly human nature, errors in judgment, wishful thinking and gullibility, among other things.
    Well you're right if you're using the medical term for brainwashing. That is a specific term for a process by which a person is put under such stress that a mental breakdown results. Then the person can be infused with beliefs based on whatever information the 'brainwasher' intends to instill in the person.

    What we are defining as 'brain washing' here, I think, is less violent but perhaps even more insidious. Until somebody or something convinces a child that there is no Santa Claus, the child believes. When the young are fully indoctrinated with concepts and principles and read them in their history books and are lectured on them in the classroom, it instills and trust and belief in those concepts and principles, however erroneous they may be.

    Then perhaps, among the most weak, gullible, or pliable among us, human nature takes over and such individuals fight to preserve concepts and principles that they have come accept as comforting to them. I think that is true in religion, politics, social dynamics, and perspectives on culture and history.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #116
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    381

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    HEY liberals! I am back!

    I love sending liberals into fits of rage. I haven't posted in two days and one simple PM has me being talked about up till now. Poor liberals.

    In any event, since people want to make a debate out of the axiomatic fact that most (street) liberals are brainwashed, I found some lovely videos of Obama zombies for you to feast on.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm1KOBMg1Y8"]YouTube- How Obama Got Elected... Interviews With Obama Voters[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg98BvqUvCc&feature=related"]YouTube- OBAMA'S GONNA PAY FOR MY GAS...[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovcdb6csHBE&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Barack Obama, Change We Can Believe In?[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXot2HQT00&feature=related"]YouTube- Obama Voters - Brainwashed With Change[/ame]

    And here is a video of the next generation of brainwashed liberals:

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4j8IhWLiM"]YouTube- Cult of Obama indoctrination in PRESCHOOL![/ame]

    You would be hard pressed to find examples of these on the right-wing. While conservatives love people like Palin and other charismatic right-wing politicians, we aren't completely clueless like the average street liberal is.

    What I love in this thread is the propensity for liberals to call people hacks when their arguments are debunked, or when they haven't get anything of worth to say.

    First we had a genius who pathetically faked a college experience to somehow "trap me" into being a real conservative.

    Then we have another genius who genuinely cites MSNBC as a counterargument to a point I made, and when I crush the point they say: "SEE, YOU'RE A HACK!!!" to cover up their own left-wing hackery, idiocy and inability to make a coherent argument.

    Since people on both sides are supposedly brainwashed, I would love to see somebody post me examples of brainwashed people on the right as egregious as what I have posted.

    Prediction:
    I get people screaming "HACK!" without refuting any of my points, and I get banned again for making this point.

  7. #117
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    HEY liberals! I am back!

    I love sending liberals into fits of rage. I haven't posted in two days and one simple PM has me being talked about up till now. Poor liberals.

    In any event, since people want to make a debate out of the axiomatic fact that most (street) liberals are brainwashed, I found some lovely videos of Obama zombies for you to feast on.
    People are idiots regardless of political ideology.


    You would be hard pressed to find examples of these on the right-wing. While conservatives love people like Palin and other charismatic right-wing politicians, we aren't completely clueless like the average street liberal is.
    Ya know, I've never actually aspirated food before, but I now know that, yes, Oat Loops DO fit out the nose.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjxzmaXAg9E"]YouTube- The McCain-Palin Mob[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YIq5Q15L1o"]YouTube- McCain Supporter: "Obama is an Arab"[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fieGfc6DL7k"]YouTube- Racist McCain Supporters in Pottsville, Pennsylvania[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPJOQhXrak&feature=related"]YouTube- Racist McCain Supporter On The News Obama in Noose[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KJ288MEVk"]YouTube- Stupid McCain supporters.[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYzpYL9xMw"]YouTube- Crazy McCain Supporter Lied On Non-Existent Black Man Who Mugged, Beat Her[/ame]

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtZWwgw__WY&feature=related"]YouTube- Hatred at a Palin Rally in Johnstown, PA[/ame]

    Since people on both sides are supposedly brainwashed, I would love to see somebody post me examples of brainwashed people on the right as egregious as what I have posted.
    **Points up**
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  8. #118
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    **Points up**

    I'll be genuinely surprised if he actually concedes your point.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  9. #119
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    I'll be genuinely surprised if he actually concedes your point.
    I'm expecting something about how I "took those out of context" or I'm "taking the example of a few nuts for the whole".
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  10. #120
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    381

    Re: Are Americans Brainwashed?



    Posting videos of a few old racist nuts on the Right is not the same as what I posted.

    There are racist nuts on the Left who refused to vote for Obama too:

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACQuZVAE3s"]YouTube- Clinton Supporter Thrown Out of Rules Committee Meeting[/ame]

    I posted videos of people being asked policy questions and not being able to answer with any degree of literacy or knowledge. Overwhelmingly, conservatives are much more conversant with the issues than liberals, who are usually brainwashed by slogans.

    Yes, there are racist idiots out there...that doesn't disprove my argument.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •