View Poll Results: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its never okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died.

    10 17.24%
  • Its okay as long as everybody generally agrees that individual was a despicable person.

    4 6.90%
  • Its okay as long as you think that person was despicable.

    23 39.66%
  • other

    21 36.21%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 159

Thread: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

  1. #131
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well, you did, sort of. The totality of one of your posts (your first in this thread that I'm aware of) was

    "I think the whole thought is that it's tasteless, and even cowardly, to bash someone who can't be there to defend himself/herself."

    It was broad enough that I feel I was justified in asking for clarification.
    I'm sorry that you read it as something ironclad, but it's certainly not written that way.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #132
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?


    1,Its never okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died.
    Regardless if it someone like Hitler, child molester or serial killer or someone else that there is a general consensus on that is a scumbag.

    2.Its okay as long as everybody generally agrees that individual was a despicable person.
    An example of someone everyone would generally agree was a despicable person would be like a mass murdering dictator,terrorist, serial killer, child rapist and etc.


    3.Its okay as long as you think that person was despicable. An example of someone you think is despicable could be a politician, political commentator/pundit, political activist or someone who has wronged you in the past and this would also include those whom everybody generally agrees was despicable.

    4.other.


    I pick option 3.If you found that person to be so despicable why hold back just because they are in the hospital or just died? Does their injury or the fact they died somehow erase all the **** that person did that made you view that person as a scumbag? For example the only bad thing about Hitler killing himself is that we did not get a change to hang him ourselves.
    You can't add one iota to your stature by speaking ill of the dead regardless of how bad they were. It's just an opportunity to display resentment and a holier-than-thou attitude, neither of which are noble sentiments.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 01-04-10 at 03:37 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I understand, but what's the line between bashing and stating historical fact about the person? When I state that Hitler caused one of the greatest incidences of suffering in the twentieth century, am I being historically accurate or am I bashing him?
    It depends on if you are a nazi or not.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I'd say it serves no purpose other than vindictiveness. I explained above.
    Vindictiveness is so underrated.

  5. #135
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,606

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Vindictiveness is so underrated.
    I hope that does not become the prevailing view.

    It has made serious inroads, to be sure.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #136
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH View Post
    doesn't the fact that DP had to add an RIP prefix for thread titles answer the question?
    Its because of the fact people get their panties in a bunch when someone is speaking bad about someone they like or admire. Whaa! my pussy hurts because someone said something mean about Ted Kennedy or whaa! my panties are in a bunch because someone said something mean about Rush Limbaugh, please mods stop those means peoples from saying bad things about my heroes. That RIP function can be used for a terrorist, child molester some other scumbag so it is a double edge sword.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-04-10 at 08:19 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?


    1,Its never okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died.
    Regardless if it someone like Hitler, child molester or serial killer or someone else that there is a general consensus on that is a scumbag.

    2.Its okay as long as everybody generally agrees that individual was a despicable person.
    An example of someone everyone would generally agree was a despicable person would be like a mass murdering dictator,terrorist, serial killer, child rapist and etc.


    3.Its okay as long as you think that person was despicable. An example of someone you think is despicable could be a politician, political commentator/pundit, political activist or someone who has wronged you in the past and this would also include those whom everybody generally agrees was despicable.

    4.other.


    I pick option 3.If you found that person to be so despicable why hold back just because they are in the hospital or just died? Does their injury or the fact they died somehow erase all the **** that person did that made you view that person as a scumbag? For example the only bad thing about Hitler killing himself is that we did not get a change to hang him ourselves.
    I think all things are permissible. However, being permissible and being a respectable thing to do are not mutually inclusive.

    We live in a free country and people are free to say whatever they like. But I am also free to look at their speech as evidence of their being a classless degenerate with a poor upbringing.

  8. #138
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    That's a good part of it. It shows no courage to speak ill of those who are sick, injured, or dead because they cannot fight back, whereas if you said it while they could, you might get embarrased or punched in the face. The other part is that you naturally get the last word in, especially when one dies, they cannot have an opportunity at rebuttle, so it's kind of an injustice as well.
    If that person is a celebrity or politician then what you say is not ever going to reach them even if that person is alive. So the "It shows no courage to speak ill of those who are sick, injured, or dead because they cannot fight back" is a load of crap.Its not about a lack of courage or getting the last word in, its because that person that died or is hospitalized is a piece **** that is why people talk bad about them and why people say good riddance to human garbage when that piece of **** dies. Its because they want that person to be gone.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #139
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I think all things are permissible. However, being permissible and being a respectable thing to do are not mutually inclusive.

    We live in a free country and people are free to say whatever they like. But I am also free to look at their speech as evidence of their being a classless degenerate with a poor upbringing.
    You wouldn't be saying good riddance to human garbage if Fred Phelps just croaked?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #140
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is it okay to speak ill of those who are hospitalized or just died?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Some dead horses deserve to be beaten. Speaking ill of the dead serves to encourage other people to live better lives that they may be spoken of more pleasantly when they are departed. Think of the recently deceased as an object lesson.
    I get ya. So the pain of being talked badly about, once one is dead, will make a person show some Class, while they are living. Like the fear of hell is supposed to do. I get it, I think. Punishment, even after we are deceased. Sounds about like 2010.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •