View Poll Results: God Does Not Exist: Logical? Scientific?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logical but not scientific.

    5 10.42%
  • Scientific but not logical.

    0 0%
  • Logical and scientific.

    11 22.92%
  • Neither logical or scientific.

    32 66.67%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 90

Thread: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

  1. #51
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Logic has nothing to do with it. Neither scenario has an answer that is more logical than the other.
    You could make a logical argument based on the Drake Equation for the likelihood of extraterrestrial life. It might be wrong, but it would still be logical. There is no comparable argument that can be made for the existence of a god. Furthermore, extraterrestrial beings could exist without assuming the existence of anything beyond the natural forces for which there is already evidence. The same is not true of most versions of a god.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    It's all about what is, as you say, reasonable. I think it's reasonable that the universe is so big, there is probably life on it outside of the Solar System.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav
    I don't think it's reasonable that we could even be having this conversation if in the end we all die and disappear, and then eventually everyone dies and everything that ever happened is forgotten, and none of this will ever have mattered or happened for any reason.
    Why not? What is inherently unreasonable about that?
    And even if you are correct, how would it be an argument for the existence of a god?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-30-09 at 11:48 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #52
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You could make a logical argument based on the Drake Equation for the likelihood of extraterrestrial life. It might be wrong, but it would still be logical.
    Not true. It would be reasonable, not logical (or illogical, for that matter). The Drake Equation has no logical basis and is full of assumptions.


    There is no comparable argument that can be made for the existence of a god. Furthermore, extraterrestrial beings could exist without assuming the existence of anything beyond the natural forces for which there is already evidence. The same is not true of most versions of a god.
    Only partially true. The fact is that we humans have only a tiny sliver of an idea about how the universe works, and what we do "know" is being altered all the time; while the existence of God may require forces that we don't yet know about, such forces probably constitute the majority of the universe. Not to mention, it is very possible for God to work within the realm of forces which we do already understand. There are whole books with scientific explanations for how Jesus might have walked on water, or how Moses might have parted the Red Sea.


    Why not? What is inherently unreasonable about that?
    And even if you are correct, how would it be an argument for the existence of a god?
    Like I said, it's all based on assumptions. Such a universe just doesn't seem reasonable to me - there's nothing inherent about it, it's just how I process it. That is why arguing for/against the existence of God is ultimately fruitless.

  3. #53
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Uh...Dav,

    You do realize that logic is based on assumptions to produce a framework for thinking no? That if we remove assumptions, logic fails to function. Case in point: omnipotence.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Science discovers the supernatural all the time. That's exactly what science is for.
    If you say so...

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    If you say so...
    I say so, that's what quantum string theory, gravity theory, magnetism, dark matter, cosmic string theory, and more, are all about.

    Once one realizes that terms like "supernatural" have been hijacked by Disney and are no longer accurately used, then clean away the taint of the misuse and return to their proper meaning, one sees that this is exactly what the word means.

  6. #56
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I say so, that's what quantum string theory, gravity theory, magnetism, dark matter, cosmic string theory, and more, are all about.

    Once one realizes that terms like "supernatural" have been hijacked by Disney and are no longer accurately used, then clean away the taint of the misuse and return to their proper meaning, one sees that this is exactly what the word means.
    But you weren't using the word supernatural correctly either...Just sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I realize it doesn't prove it...I'm just saying it should be the default assumption.
    It depends on how you're making the statement. As an absolute, it's just wrong. As a means for falsification though, it should be the default because it is the easiest to falsify. By stating that there is a god, one would have to look absolutely everywhere and find no gods. By stating that there is no god, it only takes a single instance of a god presented to falsify the statement.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #58
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't know. Would you react the same way to a person that believed in "God" as you would to a person that believed there was an invisible dragon in his garage?
    We ought to, there's no functional difference between the two. Both are delusional beliefs, one just happens to be a culturally-accepted delusion. However, just because one is accepted and one is not doesn't mean that both are not still irrational, right up until one of them is supported by objective evidence. That hasn't happened, therefore...
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #59
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We ought to, there's no functional difference between the two. Both are delusional beliefs, one just happens to be a culturally-accepted delusion. However, just because one is accepted and one is not doesn't mean that both are not still irrational, right up until one of them is supported by objective evidence. That hasn't happened, therefore...
    So as I said before:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Except that is not even remotely close to being a valid comparison.

    God's existence is a hypothesis regarding the structure of the entire universe. It is not like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, which are nothing more than specific creatures within the universe.

  10. #60
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    From my perspective, trying to disprove god is pointless, as god has no real definition. Without a list of known traits, such a task is impossible. How you find or not find something if you don't know what you are looking for. However, it is infinitely easier to prove that religions were more likely invented by humans than actual supernatural beings.


    For example, its fairly reasonable to say that Zeus doesn't exist. We have surveyed every mountain-top in the entire world and didn't find Olympus. Also, given the fact he was considered responsible for lightning and thunder, we which now know are not divine in origin, its quite likely that he was simply used as a explanation for natural phenomenon.

    The Abrahamic god doesn't have a form we can identify, which makes things trickier, but still possible. For example, it is a startling coincidence that gods morality just happens to mirror the societies were the religions first developed. Technology is startling similar as well , with the bible describing a close approximation of pi, which is probably the best they could do at the time, but not exactly within a divine margin of error. Even things like banning pork had practical health application given the lack of knowledge about illness. This suggests that these ancient societies were responsible for inventing such a god.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •