View Poll Results: God Does Not Exist: Logical? Scientific?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Logical but not scientific.

    5 10.42%
  • Scientific but not logical.

    0 0%
  • Logical and scientific.

    11 22.92%
  • Neither logical or scientific.

    32 66.67%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Life outside of the Solar System does not exist. Logical statement?

    After all, there's no proof of it.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Life outside of the Solar System does not exist. Logical statement?

    After all, there's no proof of it.
    That, also, is a fine hypothesis.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Life outside of the Solar System does not exist. Logical statement?

    After all, there's no proof of it.

    There's no proof of it yet.

    The choice is:

    There is a god who created the Earth and the life forms we see on it, including us.
    or
    This planet with all of its complex and interconnected life just came into being all on its own, starting with abiogenesis and ending with intelligent life.

    Neither statement can be proven, both are quite unbelievable, yet one or the other has to be true.

    Personally, I think the second statement is the most difficult to believe, but, there is no proof of either one.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #44
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Life outside of the Solar System does not exist. Logical statement?

    After all, there's no proof of it.
    There's certainly no scientific evidence for it, but I think you're on more solid logical ground postulating the existence of extraterrestrial life than you are postulating the existence of a god. There's really no evidence OR logical reason that a god should exist, whereas Frank Drake (for example) attempts to make a case for why extraterrestrial life is very likely. Your interpretation of his numbers may vary and you might disagree with his conclusion...but I think it's at least a reasonable argument.
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation[/ame]



    Furthermore, we can use Occam's Razor here: Extraterrestrial life does not necessitate the existence of supernatural forces for which there is currently no evidence, whereas most versions of god do.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-30-09 at 09:58 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #45
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    There's certainly no scientific evidence for it, but I think you're on more solid logical ground postulating the existence of extraterrestrial life than you are postulating the existence of a god. There's really no evidence OR logical reason that a god should exist, whereas Frank Drake (for example) attempts to make a case for why extraterrestrial life is very likely. Your interpretation of his numbers may vary and you might disagree with his conclusion...but I think it's at least a reasonable argument.
    Drake equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Logic has nothing to do with it. Neither scenario has an answer that is more logical than the other.

    It's all about what is, as you say, reasonable. I think it's reasonable that the universe is so big, there is probably life on it outside of the Solar System. I don't think it's reasonable that we could even be having this conversation if in the end we all die and disappear, and then eventually everyone dies and everything that ever happened is forgotten, and none of this will ever have mattered or happened for any reason. We could argue about what is and isn't reasonable forever and not get anywhere, since there's no proof or evidence to work with. It's all assumptions.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Is this a logical or scientific statement?

    God does not exist.
    Not any less that "Santa Claus doesn't exist" or "the Easter Bunny doesn't exist" the way I see it. (Of course I can't "prove" that either of them don't exist either).

  7. #47
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Not any less that "Santa Claus doesn't exist" or "the Easter Bunny doesn't exist" the way I see it. (Of course I can't "prove" that either of them don't exist either).
    Except that is not even remotely close to being a valid comparison.

    God's existence is a hypothesis regarding the structure of the entire universe. It is not like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny, which are nothing more than specific creatures within the universe.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Not any less that "Santa Claus doesn't exist" or "the Easter Bunny doesn't exist" the way I see it. (Of course I can't "prove" that either of them don't exist either).
    I really wish DP mods would start thread-banning people who make the santa clause/easterbunny/tooth-fairy/unicorn/etc comparisons. It's a retarded argument which ignores several critical points.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-30-09 at 10:41 PM.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I really wish DP mods would start thread-banning people who make the santa clause/easternmost/tooth-fairy/unicorn/etc comparisons. It's a retarded argument which ignores several critical points.
    Well the same critical points could just as equally be applied to the creator itself (who created god, how did god get here, did god just always exist or was there an even more powerful creator who made him - and if so, then who created the more powerful god, etc). It's really a non-issue that can't be explained, and since it deals with the supernatural, it can't be "proven" or "disproven" by our scientific standards of proof either.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: God Does Not Exist: Logical Statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Well the same critical points could just as equally be applied to the creator itself (who created god, how did god get here, did god just always exist or was there an even more powerful creator who made him - and if so, then who created the more powerful god, etc). It's really a non-issue that can't be explained, and since it deals with the supernatural, it can't be "proven" or "disproven" by our scientific standards of proof either.
    Science discovers the supernatural all the time. That's exactly what science is for.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •