View Poll Results: Should pilots be allowed to keep a pistol on the plane?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this is a great idea.

    47 73.44%
  • No, I disagree to this idea.

    11 17.19%
  • Undecided. I think it should be open to more debate.

    6 9.38%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 130

Thread: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    True. Most of us wouldn't be able to afford the ticket prices if they were not subsidized.
    Which is kinda funny because we're still paying for it. It's just in taxes and not what we charge on our credit card.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #62
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,253

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Only a fool bets his life on a passive defense.
    A gun will be such a comfort to a pilot as he plummets to earth, ready for any emergency, after the bomb explodes unannounced.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  3. #63
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Which is kinda funny because we're still paying for it. It's just in taxes and not what we charge on our credit card.
    No, it's not really funny. Just the simple fact that airline traffic can't support itself with ticket prices. Spreading out the cost to everyone makes airline travel affordable to those that use it. Or do you want the government to pay for it all?

    And I'm glad the government allows me to afford it. Two hours in a jet aircraft sure beats driving 20 hours and 1200 miles to Florida to visit the folks. It's not only less time consuming, it's cheaper (no food stops or lodging on the way), not to mention all the wear and tear on the car and the increased danger.

  4. #64
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,029

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A gun will be such a comfort to a pilot as he plummets to earth, ready for any emergency, after the bomb explodes unannounced.
    I guess that's one way to look at it. But don't you think the pilots on the two airliners that crashed into the trade center buildings would have wished they had them against the boxcutters?

  5. #65
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    I guess that's one way to look at it. But don't you think the pilots on the two airliners that crashed into the trade center buildings would have wished they had them against the boxcutters?
    The issue was not lack of arms, it was lack of action. People didn't do anything because they thought they were merely going to be landed on a tinpot airstrip somewhere and ransomed off as opposed to being rammed into the WTC.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    No, it's not really funny. Just the simple fact that airline traffic can't support itself with ticket prices. Spreading out the cost to everyone makes airline travel affordable to those that use it. Or do you want the government to pay for it all?
    Basically what you're doing though is charging people for flight, and supporting subsidies from the people who've paid but don't fly. I shouldn't pay for any of that, I don't fly. I pay for roads, I drive. Less hassle.

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    And I'm glad the government allows me to afford it. Two hours in a jet aircraft sure beats driving 20 hours and 1200 miles to Florida to visit the folks. It's not only less time consuming, it's cheaper (no food stops or lodging on the way), not to mention all the wear and tear on the car and the increased danger.
    You can only afford it because you've stolen my money to pay for your flight. That's it. Quit stealing.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #67
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Fact: On any civilian liner you have a pilot and co-pilot.
    Fact: A red herring does not an argument make.
    Fact: A reinforced door does nothing to protect passengers.
    Are you suggesting that one of the "pilots" open the door, and confront the assailants then? Seems a "Trained security guard", stationed outside the door would make more sense to me.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  8. #68
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    I guess that's one way to look at it. But don't you think the pilots on the two airliners that crashed into the trade center buildings would have wished they had them against the boxcutters?
    Box cutter ain't anything special. Just a razor. Couldn't have taken out all the people on that flight with it. The problem was that no one reacted. Everyone accepted the authority, the one with the weapon, and no one made action to do something against it. Typically, it was sorta the way it was. Hijackers take a plane, demand something, if you're quiet and do as you're told you probably weren't going to get hurt. But it's changed now, and more people would take action now. Maybe the gun in the cockpit would have helped, but so would people standing up and doing something instead of sitting around waiting to be saved by some government organization.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #69
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Box cutter ain't anything special. Just a razor. Couldn't have taken out all the people on that flight with it. The problem was that no one reacted. Everyone accepted the authority, the one with the weapon, and no one made action to do something against it. Typically, it was sorta the way it was. Hijackers take a plane, demand something, if you're quiet and do as you're told you probably weren't going to get hurt. But it's changed now, and more people would take action now. Maybe the gun in the cockpit would have helped, but so would people standing up and doing something instead of sitting around waiting to be saved by some government organization.
    I think you got it wrong. The hijackers stormed the cockpit without warning, the pilots were probably strapped in and in a vulnerable position facing forward, The hijackers could easly deal a fatal cut in seconds. The pilots did not have a chance. Could not even get out of their seats. THe entire takeover probably took 30 seconds.

  10. #70
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    So do I Rabbi, I sit on the wing now
    It must get awful windy out there. How do you hang on?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •