View Poll Results: Should pilots be allowed to keep a pistol on the plane?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this is a great idea.

    47 73.44%
  • No, I disagree to this idea.

    11 17.19%
  • Undecided. I think it should be open to more debate.

    6 9.38%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    It seems like it would depend on the altitude. Obviously it would have very little effect while on the ground. But if it were to happen on the space shuttle while in orbit you would obviously have a slightly bigger problem.

    On Mythbusters they were testing whether the explosive decompression would throw someone from the plane. That isn't the real danger. Explosive decompression sucks the air out of your lungs, sometimes damaging them in the process. And since humans need air to breathe, anyone unable to strap one of those hanging air thingies on could be dead in a matter of minutes.

    Yawn.

    Bullets can't explosively depressurize a commercial jetliner cabin.

    Bullets can't depressurize a commercial jetliner cabin period.

    The airplane isn't a can soldered shut on the runway. No, an airplane is a friggin' seive, and the air leaking out is constantly replenished by air taken from the compressor stage of the jet engines, and that air flow is much greater than the leak rate through a teenie bullet hole.

    Nope, considerations of cabin depressurization are completely irrelevant to discusssions of denying people their Second Amendment freedoms merely because of the mode of transportation they choose.

    As far as I can tell, the Second Amendment doesn't allow any "tranportation mode" exceptions that can be expanded to incude air travel. Can somebody cite what part of the "shall not be infringed" clause that permits this?

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by kb2481pts View Post
    Why? If you allow every passenger to have firearms, then someone could easily overtake a plane.
    No matter how hard I flap my arms, I've never been able to overtake an airplane.

    I fail to see how loading myself with ironmongery will improve my abilities in this regard.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Actually, I saw an expert speak about this on a news show recently. He basically said that the idea of explosive decompression from bullet holes is a myth. I further note that the Mythbusters showed that passengers won't get blown out even if a window is ruptured.
    Mythbusters had to use a bomb to get the effect they desired.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    I do believe the proper measures have been taken to prevent a cockpit takeover. That will probably never happen again. Now the terrorists tactic of choice seems to be bringing the plane down with explosives. A gun ain't going to stop the bomb from going off.
    Good point.

    In other words, there's no reason people shouldn't be able to bring their guns on the plane when they travel.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    And you assume that they can.
    An untrained inexperienced youth managed to load his underwear with explosives.

    Seems like Goobieman's assumption is valid.

    Your assumption that they can't is both false and unsafe.

  6. #126
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_Kaine View Post
    Well, unless he has a bomb. Airlines really need to worry less about guns and toothpaste and perhaps look into the possibility of keeping bombs off the plane.
    They are more concerned about toothpaste and shaving cream than about anything else, it would seem. I went through the TSA line at Baltimore on Saturday. I forgot to check my toiletry bag, so they searched it and moved aside my shaving razor to get at and confiscate my shaving gel, mousse and toothpaste.

    The TSA is such a joke. Actually, government terrorist prevention has been shown to be a joke. Since 9/11 the general public has stopped more terrorist acts on planes than they (Richard Reid and Abdulmutallab were both stopped by passengers).

  7. #127
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Not getting blown out a window is not the only danger of rapid decompression.
    The point was that bullet holes are not big enough to cause rapid decompression. But even if they did, that's why you have the oxygen masks.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  8. #128
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    the reason I don't get hit by asteroids at my place, is I have a deflector on my roof. It must be working, cause I haven't been hit yet.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #129
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    the reason I don't get hit by asteroids at my place, is I have a deflector on my roof. It must be working, cause I haven't been hit yet.
    The reason you haven't been hit by an asteroid yet, is that certain plans have not yet come to fruition.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  10. #130
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    The reason you haven't been hit by an asteroid yet, is that certain plans have not yet come to fruition.
    No. It's because I jump into space and punch them really hard.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •