View Poll Results: Should pilots be allowed to keep a pistol on the plane?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this is a great idea.

    47 73.44%
  • No, I disagree to this idea.

    11 17.19%
  • Undecided. I think it should be open to more debate.

    6 9.38%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 130

Thread: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

  1. #111
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,948
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Actually, I saw an expert speak about this on a news show recently. He basically said that the idea of explosive decompression from bullet holes is a myth. I further note that the Mythbusters showed that passengers won't get blown out even if a window is ruptured.
    Not getting blown out a window is not the only danger of rapid decompression.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  2. #112
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    79,257

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Every adult passenger should be issued a box cutter when boarding the plane, and have to turn it in when exiting the plane.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS. #MAGA

  3. #113
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLjNJI54GMM&feature=PlayList&p=B04244B24DF E87BB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=15"]YouTube- Archie Bunker on Gun Control[/ame]

  4. #114
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    01-08-18 @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,215

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Not getting blown out a window is not the only danger of rapid decompression.
    I always get a kick out of the movies that depict big fat people getting sucked through tiny portholes.

  5. #115
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,948
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    I always get a kick out of the movies that depict big fat people getting sucked through tiny portholes.
    You are a bad bad man.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #116
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    And you assume that they can.
    Which is a resonable and prudent assumption, especially given the circumstances.

    A re-enforced door with proper locking mechanism can not be penetrated without explosives and if they have explosives, guns ain't gonna help.
    Again, this is just your assumption.

  7. #117
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    It seems like it would depend on the altitude. Obviously it would have very little effect while on the ground. But if it were to happen on the space shuttle while in orbit you would obviously have a slightly bigger problem.
    Commercial aitliners top out at 40k or so.

    On Mythbusters they were testing whether the explosive decompression would throw someone from the plane. That isn't the real danger.
    Explosive decompression is a myth.

    ...decompression sucks the air out of your lungs, sometimes damaging them in the process.
    Assuming that the pressurization system, fed from the massive amounts of air by-passing the engines, cannot keep up with a few 0.5" holes in the pressue cabin, yes.

  8. #118
    User Martin_Kaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Last Seen
    02-02-10 @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    113

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Everyone on the plane should have a gun, that way even if a terrorist manages to get on board, with pals, he will still be outnumbered and out gunned.

    Well, unless he has a bomb. Airlines really need to worry less about guns and toothpaste and perhaps look into the possibility of keeping bombs off the plane.
    Last edited by Martin_Kaine; 01-04-10 at 03:09 PM.

  9. #119
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 04:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yeah, but I wonder what percentage of pilots actually choose to participate in the program. It looks like it's completely volunteer, and requires the pilot to pay for the courses himself, as well as completing it on his personal time.
    Apparently a fair number of them do. My brother works for Jeppesen and he says from time to time they get a firearm accidentally sent back to them in the bags with the old airline maps.

    I'm all for commercial pilots carrying firearms, by the way.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Yes, of course the pilot should be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane.

    Why should he be treated differently than the passengers?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •