View Poll Results: Should pilots be allowed to keep a pistol on the plane?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this is a great idea.

    47 73.44%
  • No, I disagree to this idea.

    11 17.19%
  • Undecided. I think it should be open to more debate.

    6 9.38%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 130

Thread: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

  1. #91
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Given that the issue here is the pilots' ability to defend the flight deck during a terrorist takeover attempt, your respose, above, is nothing but a rather stinky red herring.
    I do believe the proper measures have been taken to prevent a cockpit takeover. That will probably never happen again. Now the terrorists tactic of choice seems to be bringing the plane down with explosives. A gun ain't going to stop the bomb from going off.

  2. #92
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    I do believe the proper measures have been taken to prevent a cockpit takeover. That will probably never happen again. Now the terrorists tactic of choice seems to be bringing the plane down with explosives. A gun ain't going to stop the bomb from going off.
    Which is, again, irrelevant to the point, as it is not supposed to.

    It IS supposed to assist in defending the flight deck with deadly force, a purpose for which it is very well suited.

    That a gun on the flight deck will not stop a terrorist with a bomb is not an argument against a gun on the flight deck.

  3. #93
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    I'm sorry, but if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bust his butt so often---things is what they is.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  4. #94
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Which is, again, irrelevant to the point, as it is not supposed to.

    It IS supposed to assist in defending the flight deck with deadly force, a purpose for which it is very well suited.

    That a gun on the flight deck will not stop a terrorist with a bomb is not an argument against a gun on the flight deck.
    After the measures taken since 9/11 the flight decks are already secure. I am for pilots having guns, but I doubt if it will stop the next attack. The next terror attack will not be a flight deck takeover. That's the point.

  5. #95
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    After the measures taken since 9/11 the flight decks are already secure.
    Disagree. Passive defenses, being passive, are always defeatable. To actually secure the flight deck, you need some sort of effective active defense as well, such as arming the pilots.
    I am for pilots having guns, but I doubt if it will stop the next attack.
    It is more likely to do so than the passive measures in place now.
    The next terror attack will not be a flight deck takeover.
    Maybe not -- but that doesnt mean there will never be another takeover attempt.
    That's the point.
    Which does nothing to counter the argument that pilots shoud be armed.

  6. #96
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    By the time they are on the plane, may be a little to late.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  7. #97
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Disagree. Passive defenses, being passive, are always defeatable. To actually secure the flight deck, you need some sort of effective active defense as well, such as arming the pilots.

    .
    If terrorists can not get into the cabin then it is secure. If they don't have explosives or weapons then the plane is secure. Keeping weapons and explosives off airplanes is the solution. Arming the pilots will not stop the next terror attack.
    I am not trying to counter the argument that pilots should be armed. I just don't see it stopping terror attacks on planes.
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 12-31-09 at 02:10 PM.

  8. #98
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    If terrorists can not get into the cabin then it is secure.
    The flaw here is your assumption that they cannot currently defeat the passive defenses in place.

  9. #99
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The flaw here is your assumption that they cannot currently defeat the passive defenses in place.
    And you assume that they can. I hope they have made the corrections needed to make it so they can't. A re-enforced door with proper locking mechanism can not be penetrated without explosives and if they have explosives, guns ain't gonna help.

  10. #100
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Should airline pilots be allowed to have a loaded pistol on the plane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    I don't think it is a good idea to keep a firearm on an airplane, at least not with normal ammunition, because of the decompression risk. No matter how well trained you are, sometimes people miss. I wouldn't mind if they carried a tranquilliser gun, a taser, or perhaps used something like the ceramic rounds Vader mentioned. But I took the question to mean a normal weapon with normal ammunition, so I said no.
    Did you see the mythbusters where they broke out a window on plane? I hate to spoil it for you, but the plane did not depressurize.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •