View Poll Results: Should governments be more concerned about creating wealth or creating well-being?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wealth

    2 5.88%
  • Well-being

    32 94.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

  1. #11
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Neither- it's not the role of government to insure either. Protection of rights and defense of the country are legitimate.

  2. #12
    Advisor Regicollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-09-10 @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    318

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    There seems to be a widespread notion amongst the replies that government ought to do nothing but protecting a few rights and defend the national territory. However I feel it is important to bear in mind that the decision not to do anything is also a decision. Unbridled capitalism is also a government program.

    Governments have to make decisions on policies whether libertarians like it or not and so far people seem in favour of basing these decisions on what will increase the well-being of the people.

    Of course a case could be made that the greatest well-being will be achieved by the political system deciding to let go of all reins and let capitalist competition rule unchallenged. However something suggests that this is not the case, that societies with great inequalities, while sometimes being able to be among the wealthier ones, experience greater amount of discomfort, depressions and mental disorders than more equal, less competitive societies. All their wealth don't seem to buy them happiness.
    The poor complain; they always do
    But that’s just idle chatter
    Our system brings reward to all
    At least all those who matter.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    There seems to be a widespread notion amongst the replies that government ought to do nothing but protecting a few rights and defend the national territory. However I feel it is important to bear in mind that the decision not to do anything is also a decision. Unbridled capitalism is also a government program.

    Governments have to make decisions on policies whether libertarians like it or not and so far people seem in favour of basing these decisions on what will increase the well-being of the people.

    Of course a case could be made that the greatest well-being will be achieved by the political system deciding to let go of all reins and let capitalist competition rule unchallenged. However something suggests that this is not the case, that societies with great inequalities, while sometimes being able to be among the wealthier ones, experience greater amount of discomfort, depressions and mental disorders than more equal, less competitive societies. All their wealth don't seem to buy them happiness.
    It has nothing to do with letting capitalism run unchallenged, it's letting people do what they want as long as it hurts no one else.

    Assuming that capitalism is all that will develop is untrue as well, there can be many micro communities based on whatever belief system they want it to be and no one should bother or challenge them either, as long as they are hurting no one else.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #14
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Neither- it's not the role of government to insure either. Protection of rights and defense of the country are legitimate.
    And who made you the arbiter for determining what the government's role is, and whether or not a certain function is legitimate or not?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #15
    Sage
    First Thought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-01-10 @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,218

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Well-being. Money and materialism are hollow and temporal.
    "An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it." - Gandhi

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It has nothing to do with letting capitalism run unchallenged, it's letting people do what they want as long as it hurts no one else.

    Assuming that capitalism is all that will develop is untrue as well, there can be many micro communities based on whatever belief system they want it to be and no one should bother or challenge them either, as long as they are hurting no one else.
    How big can these "micro communities" be? If I have one of these micro communities that generally adheres to free market principles but without the libertarian laissez-faire dogma, and it grows to, say, 300 million people and spans a continent, is that still OK?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How big can these "micro communities" be? If I have one of these micro communities that generally adheres to free market principles but without the libertarian laissez-faire dogma, and it grows to, say, 300 million people and spans a continent, is that still OK?
    As long as I am not force to participate in their social programs and I am not forced to pay their taxes and penalties, then be my guest.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #18
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    As long as I am not force to participate in their social programs and I am not forced to pay their taxes and penalties, then be my guest.
    Then that defeats the whole purpose of these "micro communities," if the people who live in them aren't required to follow the rules. Therefore it's disingenuous to even suggest this.

    And I pose the same question to you: Who made you the sole arbiter of what government's role should be? What makes you think that you have an inviolable right to every dollar you earn?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Then that defeats the whole purpose of these "micro communities," if the people who live in them aren't required to follow the rules. Therefore it's disingenuous to even suggest this.
    Your question was foolish, so I had to answer it as best as possible.
    You assume that 300 million people would want the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And I pose the same question to you: Who made you the sole arbiter of what government's role should be?
    I did, it's my life and I only get 1 shot to live it, so to have some arbitary body of people, who don't know me or my needs and wants, make decisions for me is insulting.

    How could the government possibly make everyone content?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Wealth or well-being - what is most important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Regicollis View Post
    There seems to be a widespread notion amongst the replies that government ought to do nothing but protecting a few rights and defend the national territory. However I feel it is important to bear in mind that the decision not to do anything is also a decision. Unbridled capitalism is also a government program.

    Governments have to make decisions on policies whether libertarians like it or not and so far people seem in favour of basing these decisions on what will increase the well-being of the people.

    Of course a case could be made that the greatest well-being will be achieved by the political system deciding to let go of all reins and let capitalist competition rule unchallenged. However something suggests that this is not the case, that societies with great inequalities, while sometimes being able to be among the wealthier ones, experience greater amount of discomfort, depressions and mental disorders than more equal, less competitive societies. All their wealth don't seem to buy them happiness.
    The anarchy strawman inevitably rears its ugly head...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •