View Poll Results: What would you like to see?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • The "loud" bill passed

    37 53.62%
  • The "loud" bill defeated

    11 15.94%
  • Network executives tied down and forced to repeatedly listen to Crazy Train

    17 24.64%
  • I clicked the link to get to this poll - LOL

    4 5.80%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 161

Thread: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

  1. #61
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Apparently nobody in Congress has heard of the "Mute" button, or volume control.

  2. #62
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Or that the broadcasters never heard of uniform volume control.---I have various channels that also have differing volumes. fix them both at once.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  3. #63
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Apparently nobody in Congress has heard of the "Mute" button, or volume control.
    But utilizing the same argument, no one forces anyone to watch graphic sex. Therefore, the FCC or Congress shouldn't make regulations against what broadcasters can broadcast. You can just as easily change the channel as hit the mute button. If you are against the government enacting laws to stop overbearing commercial loudness on the basis that people can hit the mute or change the channel, you should be against the government enacting any regulation on broadcast as people can hit the mute or change the channel. No one is making anyone watch or listen to anything.

    But the Social Cons are going to go totally ape **** over that proposal. Hypocrites every last one of them.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #64
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    But utilizing the same argument, no one forces anyone to watch graphic sex. Therefore, the FCC or Congress shouldn't make regulations against what broadcasters can broadcast. You can just as easily change the channel as hit the mute button. If you are against the government enacting laws to stop overbearing commercial loudness on the basis that people can hit the mute or change the channel, you should be against the government enacting any regulation on broadcast as people can hit the mute or change the channel. No one is making anyone watch or listen to anything.

    But the Social Cons are going to go totally ape **** over that proposal. Hypocrites every last one of them.
    Except the two situations are completely different. Censoring graphic sex is not because people do not like to see it, but because they do not want their children exposed to it. Please stop trying to paint everyone with a position on anything as a hypocrite.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Except the two situations are completely different. Censoring graphic sex is not because people do not like to see it, but because they do not want their children exposed to it. Please stop trying to paint everyone with a position on anything as a hypocrite.
    I don't want to be exposed to loud commercials. It's bad for my hearing.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #66
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't want to be exposed to loud commercials. It's bad for my hearing.
    Then press the goddamn mute button.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Then press the goddamn mute button.
    Change the channel if you don't want your kids exposed to sex.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #68
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Change the channel if you don't want your kids exposed to sex.
    "If you don't want your kids to smoke, don't buy cigarettes."

    That is essentially your argument.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    "If you don't want your kids to smoke, don't buy cigarettes."

    That is essentially your argument.
    Not really. You stated that if people don't want to be exposed to loud commercials they can hit the mute button. Then you stated that it's not the same to exercise the very same personal responsibility when it comes to the programming your kids watch. My box comes with a system where I can set the time my kid watches television and what kind of programming she can watch. I don't even have to change the channel. I don't have to call the FCC to tell them that my kid has been exposed to sex because I've realized it is my responsibility as a parent to ensure a 2 and a half year old doesn't accidentally start watching Playboy.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #70
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Anti-loud commercial law passes the House

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Not really. You stated that if people don't want to be exposed to loud commercials they can hit the mute button. Then you stated that it's not the same to exercise the very same personal responsibility when it comes to the programming your kids watch. My box comes with a system where I can set the time my kid watches television and what kind of programming she can watch. I don't even have to change the channel. I don't have to call the FCC to tell them that my kid has been exposed to sex because I've realized it is my responsibility as a parent to ensure a 2 and a half year old doesn't accidentally start watching Playboy.
    For one thing, the ability to do what you said is a recent phenomenon that likely not everyone knows about. You do seem to realize, though, that without such a system, adjusting the volume and making sure kids aren't exposed to porn aren't the same things.

    But anyways, what you said still involves government standards, in that programs have to rate themselves appropriately based on their content in order to be censored.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •