View Poll Results: Is religion genetic (like the homosexuality argument)?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 2.86%
  • No

    25 71.43%
  • Its a valid argument (similar to the one about homosexuality)

    6 17.14%
  • I don't care

    1 2.86%
  • Cilogy is a troll

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 5.71%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Is Religion Genetic?

  1. #1
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Is Religion Genetic?

    Another crazy poll by yours truly ... Uncle Cilogy!

    So here goes my usual disclaimer: I hope this hasn't already been created as another poll. If it is please lock the topic or destroy it or eat it or blah blah blah.

    Okay now:

    With the war on sexuality going on (on all fronts) would you apply the same argument of genetic quality of homosexuality to religion? ( blasphemy!)

    Seriously, I was having a similar discussion with a pastor/priest/reverend/whatever of a local church, a person whom I am very good friends with. He runs a church in Texas which is actually pro-homosexuality (gasp! blasphemy again!) So we got to talking about it and he ended up concluding that religion is essentially the choice of a person and homosexuality has not yet been determined as a choice or a genetic trait.

    I would say that's a fair argument, since religion is concerned more with the spirituality and free will of a person rather than their attraction or sexuality.

    (could be confusing)

    What do you think?


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    yes and they need stem cell transplants

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Cilogy. You need to start more threads. Usually original, always thought provoking.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #4
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Cilogy. You need to start more threads. Usually original, always thought provoking.
    Are you serious? If you are thank you very much I try so damn hard.


  5. #5
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Another crazy poll by yours truly ... Uncle Cilogy!

    So here goes my usual disclaimer: I hope this hasn't already been created as another poll. If it is please lock the topic or destroy it or eat it or blah blah blah.

    Okay now:

    With the war on sexuality going on (on all fronts) would you apply the same argument of genetic quality of homosexuality to religion? ( blasphemy!)

    Seriously, I was having a similar discussion with a pastor/priest/reverend/whatever of a local church, a person whom I am very good friends with. He runs a church in Texas which is actually pro-homosexuality (gasp! blasphemy again!) So we got to talking about it and he ended up concluding that religion is essentially the choice of a person and homosexuality has not yet been determined as a choice or a genetic trait.

    I would say that's a fair argument, since religion is concerned more with the spirituality and free will of a person rather than their attraction or sexuality.

    (could be confusing)

    What do you think?
    While upbringing / education / "free will" are certainly the primary factors in determining how religious a person is, I think it's certainly plausible that there could be a gene that predisposes a person toward being more skeptical or more credulous in matters of faith. Neurologists have pinpointed the regions of the brain that are particularly active during religious experiences; perhaps those regions are naturally more active in some people than others because of our genetics.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Are you serious? If you are thank you very much I try so damn hard.
    Of course I am. No weird smilie. Why don't people think I'm serious when I give someone here a compliment?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    No, just like the homo arguement, it is choice, plain & simple.....

  8. #8
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Of course I am. No weird smilie. Why don't people think I'm serious when I give someone here a compliment?
    Sorry I'm so used to sarcasm on these boards, and I'm scared to death of the mods.


  9. #9
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    While upbringing / education / "free will" are certainly the primary factors in determining how religious a person is, I think it's certainly plausible that there could be a gene that predisposes a person toward being more skeptical or more credulous in matters of faith. Neurologists have pinpointed the regions of the brain that are particularly active during religious experiences; perhaps those regions are naturally more active in some people than others because of our genetics.
    In fact that's exactly what I was thinking, I always thought it was a matter of a person being skeptical or credulous from birth.

    You took the words from my mouth.


  10. #10
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Another crazy poll by yours truly ... Uncle Cilogy!

    So here goes my usual disclaimer: I hope this hasn't already been created as another poll. If it is please lock the topic or destroy it or eat it or blah blah blah.

    Okay now:

    With the war on sexuality going on (on all fronts) would you apply the same argument of genetic quality of homosexuality to religion? ( blasphemy!)

    Seriously, I was having a similar discussion with a pastor/priest/reverend/whatever of a local church, a person whom I am very good friends with. He runs a church in Texas which is actually pro-homosexuality (gasp! blasphemy again!) So we got to talking about it and he ended up concluding that religion is essentially the choice of a person and homosexuality has not yet been determined as a choice or a genetic trait.

    I would say that's a fair argument, since religion is concerned more with the spirituality and free will of a person rather than their attraction or sexuality.

    (could be confusing)

    What do you think?
    Orientation has been shown to be determined very early, while I don't think "religious orientation" has been. While environment probably plays a role in both, I think it plays a much much larger role in determining religious beliefs.

    By the way, homosexuality is not either choice or genetic, there are other options.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •