View Poll Results: Is religion genetic (like the homosexuality argument)?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 2.86%
  • No

    25 71.43%
  • Its a valid argument (similar to the one about homosexuality)

    6 17.14%
  • I don't care

    1 2.86%
  • Cilogy is a troll

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 5.71%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Is Religion Genetic?

  1. #11
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Orientation has been shown to be determined very early, while I don't think "religious orientation" has been. While environment probably plays a role in both, I think it plays a much much larger role in determining religious beliefs.
    Yeah I agree. What I am surprised at is the fact that people aren't using this argument as a way to "combat" others in the religious debate.

    By the way, homosexuality is not either choice or genetic, there are other options.
    Like what?


  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Yeah I agree. What I am surprised at is the fact that people aren't using this argument as a way to "combat" others in the religious debate.



    Like what?
    God only knows!.....

  3. #13
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    God only knows!.....
    Then why did you say there are other options?


  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Like what?
    Ok, we know that studies have shown that gays have a different brain structure(similar to straits of the opposite sex). We know that prenatal care can effect things like this, so it's possible(if probably not real likely) that something like diet could effect(I hesitate to say determine, since I believe a number of factors are at play in determining orientation). Also, we know that orientation is determined early, but it is possible that this is after birth. We also know that orientation, once set, is probably not going to change. This leaves open a large number of possible factors such as presence and actions of parents and others, amount of affection received, and so on. If orientation is determined after birth, it does not mean that it is a choice, simply that the factors that set it are from after the birth.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    No, just like the homo arguement, it is choice, plain & simple.....
    Not in the least. Research has determined that sexual orientation, hetero- and homo- is determined by one or a combination of the following factors: genetic structure. biological/chemical, social impact. Religious orientation is a learned behavior. One may be predisposed towards a sect such as orthodox or reformed, based on one's personality, but the religion itself is a learned behavior. One may be attracted to a leaning, but the understanding of beliefs are something that one is taught.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    LIBTARDISTAN
    Last Seen
    05-01-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,629

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Not in the least. Research has determined that sexual orientation, hetero- and homo- is determined by one or a combination of the following factors: genetic structure. biological/chemical, social impact. Religious orientation is a learned behavior. One may be predisposed towards a sect such as orthodox or reformed, based on one's personality, but the religion itself is a learned behavior. One may be attracted to a leaning, but the understanding of beliefs are something that one is taught.

    Too harsh.....EDIT
    Last edited by Partisan; 12-24-09 at 05:49 AM.

  7. #17
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Although religion is a learned trait, it is possible that there could be genetic factors that could influence ones receptiveness to religion. Perhaps a more "spiritually receptive" mind, or a mind that is more apt to generate more pleasure or reward from a religious experience.

    Different mental reward wiring for different people is not out of the realm of possibility, some may be genetically predisposed to be receptive to physical rewards, some intellectual, some spiritual. I could see how all three of those different roles in humans could be genetically advantageous in their own right, and have all served a major role throughout human anthropological history.


    Edit: and I m with CC great thought provoking non standard topic material here
    Last edited by marduc; 12-24-09 at 05:55 AM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    Too harsh.....EDIT
    I would say since I get automatic emails to subscribed threads, so I can see folk's edits, this was an excellent choice, Partisan.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #19
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    I also believe that it may be a factor, similar to upbringing.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is Religion Genetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Another crazy poll by yours truly ... Uncle Cilogy!

    So here goes my usual disclaimer: I hope this hasn't already been created as another poll. If it is please lock the topic or destroy it or eat it or blah blah blah.

    Okay now:

    With the war on sexuality going on (on all fronts) would you apply the same argument of genetic quality of homosexuality to religion? ( blasphemy!)

    Seriously, I was having a similar discussion with a pastor/priest/reverend/whatever of a local church, a person whom I am very good friends with. He runs a church in Texas which is actually pro-homosexuality (gasp! blasphemy again!) So we got to talking about it and he ended up concluding that religion is essentially the choice of a person and homosexuality has not yet been determined as a choice or a genetic trait.

    I would say that's a fair argument, since religion is concerned more with the spirituality and free will of a person rather than their attraction or sexuality.

    (could be confusing)

    What do you think?
    What war on sexuality?

    Someone out there is forwarding a "genetic equality" argument? What does "genetic equality" even mean?

    About the only thing I understand in your OP is the thread title, and to that my answer is "no".

    I would love to be educated on these other "wars" and arguments, though. They're certanly nothing I've come across before
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-24-09 at 03:34 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •