View Poll Results: Has NASA outlived its usefulness

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 13.58%
  • No

    70 86.42%
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 262

Thread: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

  1. #71
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    It would help if you understood the English Language.

    Is NASA's primary job to defend America from foreign powers? No.
    Is the US military's primary job to defend America from foreign powers? Yes.

    Does NASA buy in large quantities tools for waging war? No.
    Does the US military buy in large quantities tools for waging war? Yes.

    Is NASA primarily focused on waging war? No.
    Is the US military focused on waging war? Yes.

    Has NASA ever waged a war? No (well, not that we know of)
    Has the US military ever waged a war? Yes.

    Do you notice a pattern here? I, in the post you claim doesn't support my argument show how NASA does not engage in activities the US military does. And you claim none of that supports my claim that the organizations are not the same.

    Huh. Two organizations which fulfill two very different roles are not the same? Imagine that!

    And thanks for proving again you do not understand the written English Language.

    And it's amusing how you discussed material advanced when you BOLDED my part about how both organizations do different things.
    You've totally changed the subject...

    Some people's ignorance amazes me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #72
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You've totally changed the subject...

    Some people's ignorance amazes me.
    Fail.

    Let's recap. You quoted me agreeing with you yet called me wrong. I point this out and you changed the argument to whether or not the two organizations are the same. See post #67. I then post examples of how the organizations are indeed different. You then ask me how any of that proves my argument that the two are not the same. I then provide more examples of how they are not the same to which you claim I changed the subject. Except going back to post #67 shows you changed it away from how both produce material advances after I showed you totally screwed up reading comprehension by arguing I was wrong via agreeing with what I said. So either you are a liar or illiterate. I'll give you illiterate given your history.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #73
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Do you realize how much technology in the private sector exists because of government contracts, which start out focusing on bettering the military? Everything from the computer chip to everyday house hold cleaning chemicals came from government sponsered military contracts. NASA is no different.
    Well now what have we here gunny....made top eh?Congratulation.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  4. #74
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,343

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Well now what have we here gunny....made top eh?Congratulation.
    "Top", is a 1stsgt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    And the Internet.
    That’s true; we more than likely wouldn’t be discussing this on the interwebs if it weren’t for NASA research.

    http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinfaq.htm#spinfaq5
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  6. #76
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 03:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    We still need to find Martians.
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    Canada wouldn't be the leader in robotics if we didn't have the Canadian Space Agency.
    Canada is the world's leader in robotics? That's impossible thier space agency is a parasite that lives off NASA. What has Canada done that is anywhere comparable to what the EU or Soviets or USA has done in space???!

  8. #78
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    A lot of the robotics that Canada invented for space research, like the CanadArm, has lead to industry robotics for automated manufacture. Not to mention raw computing power.

    Even though I think human social development is not at the right stage for full on space exploration, our long term survival will depend on being able to get off of this planet and spread ourselves into space. NASA has been an excellent start to that process and we are benefitting in the process. Same with any other space agency in the Western world.

    Canada wouldn't be the leader in robotics if we didn't have the Canadian Space Agency.
    All those things could have been made anyhow if needed, with out having to spend billions going into Space to do it.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #79
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So you would have no problem not using a single applied material advancement that was derived from the space program?
    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Do you realize how much technology in the private sector exists because of government contracts, which start out focusing on bettering the military? Everything from the computer chip to everyday house hold cleaning chemicals came from government sponsered military contracts. NASA is no different.
    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    And the Internet.
    If all those things are actually that valuable, and could ONLY be produced by going into space, that would be one thing. but they don't need Zero gravity to be produced, and where actually made right here on earth. --Your logic, has a small leak.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  10. #80
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    It's this simple, "If Space Exploration were in fact Profitable, then every Major Manufacture on the Planet would be investing in it". The fact that is so expensive, and produces zero profit, is why gubment are into it. ---Lots of tax payer money to pass around. cause they know we all just want to grow up to be Buzz light year---up-up-and away---If they can fool all of you, you know how easy it is to fool the guy on the street. ---Look, up in the air, --It's a bird
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •