View Poll Results: Has NASA outlived its usefulness

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 13.58%
  • No

    70 86.42%
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 262

Thread: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

  1. #151
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    I'll say it one more time--those that think is worth the money, should be the ones to pay for it. Do I ask anyone to pay for my pet projects?? No, that would be presumptuous of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy
    I would vote for you to get some money.--those are useful things. I have a trunk full of star dust all ready from my last trip home.
    I love how you say that you wouldn't ask anyone to pay for your pet projects, then two posts later you do exactly that.

    Where is it enshrined in the Constitution that you shouldn't have to pay for any government program you personally don't like, anyway?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-25-09 at 06:16 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    It is Christmas, no point in being rude--it's just a discussion.
    So what if it's Christmas. People talking about things they obviously have no knowledge of do not get a free pass just because it's some sort of holiday.

    As for being rude, try again. I'm assuming you mean about the "ignorant" part when you say that. Being ignorant of something is not a bad thing...it's when you purposely don't educate yourself on something that your are speaking about and refuse to listen to those that know more about a subject that you pass being just ignorant into stupidity. And you're quickly crossing that line.

    (now that was being rude.)
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #153
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I love it when people suggest that SUPPLEMENTAL forms of energy are considered alternates....it just isn't so. Wind and solar energy demand a huge land footprint per KWHr.....and will probably never be a substantial percentage of our electric energy mix. ANd when wind/solar are talked up as part of a plan to use less OIL, it behooves us to remember that oil is used so little in the production of electricity that we could say it isn't used at all. Back in the 70's we used bunker oil quite a bit, but no more. Until we have millions, many millions, of electric cars, no alternate or supplental form of electricity generation will play a part in the reduction of our oil usage.
    At the moment Nuclear is the only answer to our electricity needs. Nearly every engineer or scientist who understand physics and chemistry knows this already.
    NASA serves a purpose here, putting up satellites that study the earth's geography with the purpose of finding more oil.....
    You cover a roof with solar panels and you can power that house with those solar panels. I know this because my dad has done it. And you wouldn't be dependant on any company or power lines.

    Also those were just examples of the things that NASA is working on in regards to energy. They are working on other things also.

    I'm not discounting nuclear energy. Just showing some of the things that NASA is working on. After all you did say that you wish that they would work on things like energy right?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #154
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    All competitive company's that strive to make a profit for their Projects, thus they have incentive.---NASA has no incentive. they have gubment Jobs for life.
    1: They do not have their jobs for life. The only ones that might be considered as such is the Director and astronauts. But he/she would have to be extremely lucky to last that long. Because the President can (and does) change who is in charge. So every time a new President comes along the job of Director is up in the air.

    The only reason the astronauts might be in that catagory is because of the extremely specialized job that they do.

    2: They do have incentive. The kind of incentive that has nothing to do with money. It's called the thirst for knowledge. IMO a hell of a lot better incentive.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #155
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So what if it's Christmas. People talking about things they obviously have no knowledge of do not get a free pass just because it's some sort of holiday.

    As for being rude, try again. I'm assuming you mean about the "ignorant" part when you say that. Being ignorant of something is not a bad thing...it's when you purposely don't educate yourself on something that your are speaking about and refuse to listen to those that know more about a subject that you pass being just ignorant into stupidity. And you're quickly crossing that line.

    (now that was being rude.)
    I have yet to see you prove you know anything more than anyone else. Your opinion is proof of nothing other than the fact you have one.---I do find it telling that you think so highly of your own, and so little of others who may disagree with you.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  6. #156
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    1: They do not have their jobs for life. The only ones that might be considered as such is the Director and astronauts. But he/she would have to be extremely lucky to last that long. Because the President can (and does) change who is in charge. So every time a new President comes along the job of Director is up in the air.

    The only reason the astronauts might be in that catagory is because of the extremely specialized job that they do.

    2: They do have incentive. The kind of incentive that has nothing to do with money. It's called the thirst for knowledge. IMO a hell of a lot better incentive.
    thirst for knowledge, as an incentive to work fast and efficient, doesn't quite do it for me. Why is this the only field that would consider that reasonable incentive? Don't forget I have Friends who work there. we discuss this a lot.
    Last edited by Skateguy; 12-25-09 at 07:57 PM.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  7. #157
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What the **** are you even talking about? NASA's budget has actually decreased. Whereas in the 60s it wasn't unnatural for NASA to go way past 4% in terms of our national budget - today it would be lucky if it got past 0.7%. Seriously. Just because you keep saying NASA is too expensive, does NOT make it so.

    Your constant trolling on this matter is getting annoying. Either explain why NASA should be cut ahead of any other project or quit your trolling. You've done nothing but repeat the same vitriol for 15 pages. You haven't provided a SINGLE valid reason as to why NASA should be done away with. Your point that NASA is not productive has been shown to be false. Your point that NASA and the government has no incentive to continue the space has been proven to be false. The creation of new technology is in the best interest of not just the U.S. government but its people. It may sound corny but modern democratic governments do not have an interest in a population which does not have access to education. When they can provide it? They do. NASA has been quintessential in providing volumes of knowledge that kids use today in our schools. Not only that but the information it freely provides has created revenue not only for the government but for the private sector.

    You simply have no dog in this fight. You're just trolling now. We The People have decided to fund NASA by democratically electing representatives who will vote for its funding. If you don't like it? Move to Morocco.
    in the 60's we were gearing up for a trip to the moon, that kind of money was needed then, not now.
    We the people have almost no say in how congress spends tax dollars. To think otherwise is naiive...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #158
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Name on thing that Humans did on the Moon, that a robot couldn't have done safer and cheaper. ---And hittin a golf ball don't count.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    I have yet to see you prove you know anything more than anyone else. Your opinion is proof of nothing other than the fact you have one.---I do find it telling that you think so highly of your own, and so little of others who may disagree with you.
    *looks back through the posts*

    Where are you links to prove what you have said? I see my links disproving what you have said but I don't see any links from you? At least my opinions are backed up with facts.

    And I only think little of others opinions when those opinions are based on nothing but misconcieved ideas of what NASA does. And your posts have proven that your whole opinion is based off of just that. Misconcieved ideas.

    Through out this whole thread you have said that NASA is a waste of money because it "doesn't do anything productive". I've shown how NASA has helped tremendously. You brush it off saying that private companies could have done the same thing. Well, they didn't. NASA did it. Shoulda coulda woulda's don't mean crap to reality.

    You've complained about NASA's MASSIVE budget, me and others have shown that NASA gets less than 1% of the US's budget. IE their budget isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to other projects which are failing, and yet get billions of more money than NASA.

    You call other planets "pieces of dirt" basically saying that it's not worth going to them. Do you have any idea of the type of resources available on those other planets? Do you not realize that Mars could eventually be adapted enough for humans to live on? OH wait, your of the "mother earth" variety. nvm.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #160
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Has NASA Outlived it's Usefulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I love how you say that you wouldn't ask anyone to pay for your pet projects, then two posts later you do exactly that.

    Where is it enshrined in the Constitution that you shouldn't have to pay for any government program you personally don't like, anyway?
    Missed the part where I said, "I would vote for" didn't ya.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •