View Poll Results: Do they?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 8.61%
  • No

    190 90.91%
  • Don't care

    1 0.48%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 96

Thread: Do animals deserve a right to life?

  1. #51
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    If your argument against abortion is biological (not spiritual), meaning that embryos/fetuses deserve a "right to life" because they are biologically alive (as is sperm), then why do animals not also deserve a right to life, as biologically they meet all the same criteria, if not moreso. Discuss.
    "Human" life is the determiner here, unless you want to argue that humans and tapeworms have the same value.

  2. #52
    Professor
    Alfons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-31-17 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    If your argument against abortion is biological (not spiritual), meaning that embryos/fetuses deserve a "right to life" because they are biologically alive (as is sperm), then why do animals not also deserve a right to life, as biologically they meet all the same criteria, if not moreso. Discuss.
    Everything God created deserve a right to life!
    Rom 6:23:For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

  3. #53
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    "Human" life is the determiner here, unless you want to argue that humans and tapeworms have the same value.
    Why don't they?

  4. #54
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    "Human" life is the determiner here, unless you want to argue that humans and tapeworms have the same value.
    Excluding enlightened self-interest, why shouldn't they? Do aardvarks and badgers have the same value? How about carp and sharks? You only think humans are special because you happen to be one.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Why don't they?
    There's just no market for tapeworms. Humans on the other hand...wow...you can make a fortune off those buggers...

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Attn1 Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    "Human" life is the determiner here, unless you want to argue that humans and tapeworms have the same value.
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Why don't they?
    On (at least) one level,... they do.

    As does a pre-birth child, blue whale, amoeba and a sparrow... have an equal right to each their own lives.

    Would you like for me to explain?

  7. #57
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    If your argument against abortion is biological (not spiritual), meaning that embryos/fetuses deserve a "right to life" because they are biologically alive (as is sperm), then why do animals not also deserve a right to life, as biologically they meet all the same criteria, if not moreso. Discuss.
    Animals are not on the same playing field as human beings. We've evolved past their basic level of existance for a particular reason.

    I fully support the proper hunting and eating of animal - certain kinds I won't touch and prefer others didn't, either, but I don't consider it barbaric or any type of 'sin' or 'moral tangle'
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #58
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,045

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Animals are not on the same playing field as human beings. We've evolved past their basic level of existance for a particular reason.
    What 'level' are we on that they are not? And what 'reason' is this?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Animals are not on the same playing field as human beings. We've evolved past their basic level of existance for a particular reason.
    That still doesn't put us at the top of the food chain...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I fully support the proper hunting and eating of animal - certain kinds I won't touch and prefer others didn't, either, but I don't consider it barbaric or any type of 'sin' or 'moral tangle'
    Agree'd

  10. #60
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Do animals deserve a right to life?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    That still doesn't put us at the top of the food chain...
    Of course not, we're right in the middle of it with everything else . . . it's one big circle.

    However - we exist on a different level of thought, communication and awareness, etc etc etc - which makes us more advanced.

    Thus - my dogs live in the back yard and not in my house.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •