View Poll Results: Should a person or that person's family be able to sell their organs post mortem?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (with no restrictions)

    12 30.00%
  • Yes (with restrictions)

    12 30.00%
  • No

    12 30.00%
  • Other

    4 10.00%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 129

Thread: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I guess in whole what I am asking is, why is everyone except the donor patient allowed to profit from organ transplants but not the donor actually giving something up.

    The medical staff, the hospital, and the receiving patient profit in some way from the donor but he/she does not.

    Second part is, science has found multiple ways to grow organs, should those organs only be made available by donation?
    Allowing private persons to financially benefit from organ sales did actually create a significant pool of criminals who killed for organs to sell.

    They also dug up graves for corpses to sell to universities of the time, but that's peripheral to your point.

    That's why it became illegal in the first place.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-21-09 at 01:30 AM.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Allowing private persons to financially benefit from organ sales did actually create a significant pool of criminals who killed for organs to sell.

    That's why it became illegal in the first place.
    But it's not illegal in whole, private companies can create and sell body parts.

    Why should they be the only ones to profit?

    Why should the doctor's, hospital staff, receiving patient be allowed to profit but not the donor or his/her family?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I guess in whole what I am asking is, why is everyone except the donor patient allowed to profit from organ transplants but not the donor actually giving something up.

    The medical staff, the hospital, and the receiving patient profit in some way from the donor but he/she does not.
    The donor is dead. Not much they could do with profit. If you are talking about their family members, I suppose I would agree to a standard donation fee.

    Second part is, science has found multiple ways to grow organs, should those organs only be made available by donation?
    Yes, based on needs lists. Again, a standard donation fee could apply.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #44
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The donor is dead. Not much they could do with profit. If you are talking about their family members, I suppose I would agree to a standard donation fee.
    That would be a more fair approach, honestly not many donate because you can't feel good after your dead.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Yes, based on needs lists. Again, a standard donation fee could apply.
    I betting that in the end, they will be allowed to charge whatever they want and the whole donation aspect will disappear.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    But it's not illegal in whole, private companies can create and sell body parts.

    Why should they be the only ones to profit?
    No one has to die to place a designer organ in someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Why should the doctor's, hospital staff, receiving patient be allowed to profit but not the donor or his/her family?
    Allowing private persons to financially benefit from organ sales did actually create a significant pool of criminals who killed for organs to sell.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That would be a more fair approach, honestly not many donate because you can't feel good after your dead.
    Agreed.

    I betting that in the end, they will be allowed to charge whatever they want and the whole donation aspect will disappear.
    I wouldn't agree with this unless their were strict regulations in place to prevent abuses, like overcharging. This mirrors my position on health care...not surprisingly.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #47
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No one has to die to place a designer organ in someone else.
    True but there is no incentive to donate in the first place if your dead.
    As for the family they should be able to receive an amount to at least cover funeral expenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Allowing private persons to financially benefit from organ sales did actually create a significant pool of criminals who killed for organs to sell.
    Just like the creation of money brought about a pool of criminals willing to kill for it.

    Should we make money illegal?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    True but there is no incentive to donate in the first place if your dead.
    As for the family they should be able to receive an amount to at least cover funeral expenses.
    This is why donation should be mandatory. The dead have no use for their organs after they are dead. The dead have no rights, either. Make donation mandatory and supply goes way up.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    The Madame Tussuad's has already purchased my organ, its the only thing that works well at present

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    And throw the rest of them into the combine. THE SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •