View Poll Results: Should a person or that person's family be able to sell their organs post mortem?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (with no restrictions)

    12 30.00%
  • Yes (with restrictions)

    12 30.00%
  • No

    12 30.00%
  • Other

    4 10.00%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 129

Thread: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

  1. #101
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    But, what if it were a fertility ritual that your belief system required?
    There's a difference between a priestess and a prostitute, and I don't recall that any such ritual required the priestess to have sex with strangers. It is a sacred thing, like ideally all sex should be.

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat
    Why don't you feel the same way about every profession? Such as... perhaps, the medical profession who perform services that are affirming and life-giving.
    Because being a doctor doesn't release bonding hormones in the brain, for starters. It is not an intrinsically intimate and personal act and performing medicine for money doesn't damage your ability to have healthy personal relationships.

  2. #102
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Because being a doctor doesn't release bonding hormones in the brain, for starters. It is not an intrinsically intimate and personal act and performing medicine for money doesn't damage your ability to have healthy personal relationships.
    "bonding hormones"? That's what your argument comes down to? Oxytocin? Seriously? Did you know that those same hormones are released when you get a massage? Or hug? Should those things be reserved only for those who are married?

    Methinks you need to read a bit more about these 'bonding hormones' before you go trying to base an entire argument on them.

    And, saving someone's life isn't intimate and personal? I beg to differ. And the fact that I got paid to save someone's life didn't change how intimate and personal it was. Any POSITIVE relationship releases bonding hormones. Saving someone's life counts.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Not necessarily. Many were temple prostitutes, and they were there freely, not as slaves. It was considered a great honor as their bodies represented the goddess, and their work was considered sacred, because it ensured the fertility of the earth. It all depends on how we view sex...as something corrupting and inherently dirty and sinful, or something affirming and life-giving.

    I would blame your view of sex as dirty and corrupting on the puritanistic version of Christianity that you espouse.
    If that's the case I've got something affirming and life-giving for ya right here.

    BOOYAH!

  4. #104
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    With the supply of useable organs limited, should a person or that person's family be able to sell their organs after they have died?

    Please answer with why or why not.
    I think you should be able to sell your organs whenever you want. As for your family, sure why not? Though maybe if we're treating it like some form of property, it would have to be willed down. "And to my daughter, I leave my lungs. They are good lungs, served me well. I'm sure you'll get top dollar for them...".
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Not necessarily. Many were temple prostitutes, and they were there freely, not as slaves. It was considered a great honor as their bodies represented the goddess, and their work was considered sacred, because it ensured the fertility of the earth. It all depends on how we view sex...as something corrupting and inherently dirty and sinful, or something affirming and life-giving.

    I would blame your view of sex as dirty and corrupting on the puritanistic version of Christianity that you espouse.
    That could be, but I would also blame my view of the slavery prostitution brings to a people on the same thing.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Not necessarily. Many were temple prostitutes, and they were there freely, not as slaves. It was considered a great honor as their bodies represented the goddess, and their work was considered sacred, because it ensured the fertility of the earth. It all depends on how we view sex...as something corrupting and inherently dirty and sinful, or something affirming and life-giving.

    I would blame your view of sex as dirty and corrupting on the puritanistic version of Christianity that you espouse.
    I take that as a personal insult:

    1. We weren't speaking of sex per-se, but of prostitution.
    2. Calling someone a puritan is an insult.
    3. The only time I've discusses my personal religious views with you was in context of what is going on in my life. I feel that this flippant strawman is a personal attack on many levels.
    4. We aren't even having a religious discussion in this thread on any level, so there is no religious argument from me here that you could point to for comparison.

    I'm sorry I called you a friend.
    Last edited by Jerry; 12-22-09 at 04:03 PM.

  7. #107
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I take that as a personal insult:

    1. We weren't speaking of sex per-se, but of prostitution.
    If sex itself isn't 'dirty', then how does a piece of paper changing hands suddenly make it so?

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    If sex itself isn't 'dirty', then how does a piece of paper changing hands suddenly make it so?
    As I wasn't ever speaking on sex being dirty or clean, either way, in any form what-so-ever, I don't need to answer your question.

    My anti-prostitution argument regards slavery and selling humans as slaves. This argument exists in parallel to my anti-organ selling argument regarding the kidnapping, murder and sale of humans for organs.

  9. #109
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As I wasn't ever speaking on sex being dirty or clean, either way, in any form what-so-ever, I don't need to answer your question.

    My anti-prostitution argument regards slavery and selling humans as slaves. This argument exists in parallel to my anti-organ selling argument regarding the kidnapping, murder and sale of humans for organs.
    Arguing that something shouldn't be legal because a few people will do bad things that they already do isn't really much of an argument at all. You argue against slavery, something we all are against. That has nothing at all to do with what consenting adults do. You might as well say that we should make driving cars illegal since people use them to transport people they've kidnapped. Makes no damn sense.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Should you or your family members be able to sell your organs post mortem?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    This is why donation should be mandatory. The dead have no use for their organs after they are dead. The dead have no rights, either. Make donation mandatory and supply goes way up.
    I vehemently disagree with this on religious grounds. When I am dead, I want all of me to be dead... I don't want my heart living on in so-and-so and my liver in someone else if I don't want it to.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •