View Poll Results: The United States Constitution protects

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Biological "person"

    9 40.91%
  • The Metaphysical "person"

    3 13.64%
  • Other ; Please explain

    10 45.45%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 160

Thread: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Exclamation Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Then for you "birth" isn't any more of a definition of humanity or personhood than learning to walk or starting to eat solid foods? It's just another step on the path to maturity/development. Because if the new human begins at conception, all points afterwords are just benchmarks.

    am I close?
    Yes, you are close.

    However, you are also slightly understating my case.

    I am more driven by the ideals expressed in the Constitution (regarding our basic rights) than I am by their focus (context) at the time.

    I believe a child's right to the life they are living should begin when their life begins.... and not just when we (as a society) can't justify their denial anymore.

    That's about as far as I go (or feel I need to go) where the "humanity" aspects are concerned.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Yes, you are close.

    However, you are also slightly understating my case.

    I am more driven by the ideals expressed in the Constitution (regarding our basic rights) than I am by their focus (context) at the time.

    I believe a child's right to the life they are living should begin when their life begins.... and not just when we (as a society) can't justify their denial anymore.

    That's about as far as I go (or feel I need to go) where the "humanity" aspects are concerned.

    Well that's your belief then. Excellent.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Then for you "birth" isn't any more of a definition of humanity or personhood than learning to walk or starting to eat solid foods? It's just another step on the path to maturity/development. Because if the new human begins at conception, all points afterwords are just benchmarks.

    am I close?
    Yes, you are close.

    However, you are also slightly understating my case.

    I am more driven by the ideals expressed in the Constitution (regarding our basic rights) than I am by their focus (context) at the time.

    I believe a child's right to the life they are living should begin when their life begins.... and not just when we (as a society) can't justify their denial anymore.

    That's about as far as I go (or feel I need to go) where the "humanity" aspects are concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Well that's your belief then. Excellent.
    And your belief is?

    What?

    Specifically?

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    And your belief is?

    What?

    Specifically?

    I put a little stake in most sensible ideas, but I probably would say I believe that personhood begins, at the very earliest, when the nervous system and consciousness are fully developed. However, I also believe that the fetus is a parasite while it's inside Mommy (That's my daughter's nickname since her time in utero) and who am I to tell someone what to do with something in their body when it's not directly affecting myself or society on the whole? Even if they were dumb enough to accidentally put it in there themselves.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I put a little stake in most sensible ideas, but I probably would say I believe that personhood begins, at the very earliest, when the nervous system and consciousness are fully developed. However, I also believe that the fetus is a parasite while it's inside Mommy (That's my daughter's nickname since her time in utero) and who am I to tell someone what to do with something in their body when it's not directly affecting myself or society on the whole? Even if they were dumb enough to accidentally put it in there themselves.
    I see.

    So help me out here, Dude.

    In my summary,... when I say "to *you, a child is not a child nor entitled to a right to his or her life,... until they live too long so as to breech your ability to deny them" what part (if any) of that would you disagree with?

    And why?

    *You= figuratively speaking -"you"
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 12-21-09 at 02:54 PM.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I don't need to make anything up.

    BORN

      1. Brought into life by birth.
      2. Brought into existence; created: A new nation was born with the revolution.- American heritage Dictionary
    Funny how you disregard the 1st definition of birth for some obscure romanticized version of it. Your dishonesty is in spades now. Enjoy your fundy thread.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Funny how you disregard the 1st definition of birth for some obscure romanticized version of it. Your dishonesty is in spades now. Enjoy your fundy thread.
    I posted the definitions.

    BOTH of them,...

    How do you get that I disregard either of them?



    Per the definitons, it is completely appropriate to say that a child is "born" when they are delivered from their mother's womb.

    And per those same definitions,.. it is also completely appropriate to say that a child is "born" (comes into existence) at the moment of their conception.

    Same word, different meanings for different sets of circumstances.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I posted the definitions.

    BOTH of them,...
    And highlighted the one which fit your fundamentalist agenda. Just like you completely ignored the part of the constitution which says a person has to be born to make your argument. You fool nobody with your definition games a la 'define is'. Please stop?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I see.

    So help me out here, Dude.

    In my summary,... when I say "to *you, a child is not a child nor entitled to a right to his or her life,... until they live too long so as to breech your ability to deny them" what part (if any) of that would you disagree with?

    And why?

    *You= figuratively speaking -"you"
    I'd say that there is no "right" to life, only a chance. Because if there was a right to life then someone may want to have a little chat with Mother Nature...bitch kills babies ALL the damn time. However, that doesn't give grown human beings prudence in deciding when it's time to recognize the "rights" of the fetus or not. As usual it's a little black, a little white, lots of gray issue and it's largely up to individuals rather than the majority to decide this.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: What aspect of a person does the Constitution protect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And highlighted the one which fit your fundamentalist agenda. Just like you completely ignored the part of the constitution which says a person has to be born to make your argument. You fool nobody with your definition games a la 'define is'. Please stop?
    Fundee?

    Hah!

    Welcome to my ignore list!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •