View Poll Results: Does a new person's life "biologically" begin at conception?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 64.29%
  • No

    30 35.71%
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 304

Thread: Does life biologically begin at conception?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    That is scientifically incorrect. Sperm is alive according to scientific definition. But if your argument is biological, then it's meaningless, since (like you just admitted) the same is true with all mammals, but we have no problem "murdering" them for hamburgers.
    I never said that sperm cells were not alive. So, I don't know where you are getting that.

    As far as my arguments being meaningless?

    If they are meaningless to you,... fine... But don't then expect yours to have any meaning to me.

    And as far as killing animals for food?

    I never equated them to persons.

    All humans (Persons) are mammals.... Not all mammals are "persons."

    Persons have human rights (because they are human)....

    Animals have only the rights that we "humans" grant them.

    If they were able,.. believe me.... they would do the same to us.

    Go to alaska, rub yourself down with honey.... and tell the Grizzlies to back off and respect your right not to be killed and eaten.

  2. #82
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    That is scientifically incorrect. Sperm is alive according to scientific definition. But if your argument is biological, then it's meaningless, since (like you just admitted) the same is true with all mammals, but we have no problem "murdering" them for hamburgers.
    Why can't we murder humans?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Exclamation Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    It's alive, but it's not an individual.
    Yes,.. it is.

    Look up the words.

    "A" zygote = an "individual" zygote.

    A:
    7.any; a single: not a one.

    Individual;
    Biology. a.a single organism capable of independent existence.



    News for you,.. a living zygote is a single celled organism that "exists" independently from it's other.

    existence;
    1.the state or fact of existing; being.
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 12-20-09 at 11:54 PM.

  4. #84
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    A zygote is not an individual person. Gastrulation is the point that determines that.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    mad Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    A zygote is not an individual person. Gastrulation is the point that determines that.
    Phat,.. If an individual is not conceived,.. will it ever reach gastulation?

    Were You not conceived?

  6. #86
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Phat,.. If an individual is not conceived,.. will it ever reach gastulation?

    Were You not conceived?
    At conception the zygote has the potential still to become more than 1 person. It is not an individual until gastrulation. At that point the potential to become more than 1 person is lost.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Cool Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    At conception the zygote has the potential still to become more than 1 person. It is not an individual until gastrulation. At that point the potential to become more than 1 person is lost.
    A person with the "potential" of becoming two.... is still a person unless and until they do so.

    Sorry.

    If you still disagree, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Requirements to be qualified as alive:

    Can they reproduce? No the testes do this for them.
    Can they obtain and use energy? I don't think so...not sure...
    Can they Grow, develop, and die? Once again, Don't think so but not entirely sure
    Can they respond to the environment? They can swim...

    I think this was the thread that Mr. V and I were talking about the alive-ness of spermies, so here is mah post pertaining to that.

  9. #89
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I never said that sperm cells were not alive. So, I don't know where you are getting that.

    As far as my arguments being meaningless?

    If they are meaningless to you,... fine... But don't then expect yours to have any meaning to me.

    And as far as killing animals for food?

    I never equated them to persons.

    All humans (Persons) are mammals.... Not all mammals are "persons."

    Persons have human rights (because they are human)....

    Animals have only the rights that we "humans" grant them.

    If they were able,.. believe me.... they would do the same to us.

    Go to alaska, rub yourself down with honey.... and tell the Grizzlies to back off and respect your right not to be killed and eaten.
    person /= human
    human /= person

    Any living creature only has rights because the society in which they reside grants them. Nothing is 'born' with rights. One either is given them or they obtain them through force.
    Last edited by rivrrat; 12-21-09 at 12:32 AM.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Post Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    person /= human
    human /= person

    Any living creature only has rights because the society in which they reside grants them. Nothing is 'born' with rights. One either is given them or they obtain them through force.
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

    As you can see,.. Our founders already brought force to bear to secure the right that "all men" (all of mankind) has a right to their life, liberty,...
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 12-21-09 at 01:06 AM.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •