View Poll Results: Does a new person's life "biologically" begin at conception?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 64.29%
  • No

    30 35.71%
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 304

Thread: Does life biologically begin at conception?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    A human zygote is a child (human being/ person) in the most narrow and basic sense. An adult human is likewise a "person."

    Both are persons,..
    That is scientifically incorrect. A zygote is not a homosapien by scientific definition.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    A Ford Pinto and a Ferarri are both cars (automobiles). I don't have to equate the two to recognize the fact that they are both automobiles.
    A Ford Pinto and a Ferrari are both cars, but a pile of parts in an auto factory is not a car just because it "could become a Ford Pinto or a Ferrari" after it is fully developed at the factory.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Arrow Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    That is scientifically incorrect. A zygote is not a homosapien by scientific definition.


    A Ford Pinto and a Ferrari are both cars, but a pile of parts in an auto factory is not a car just because it "could become a Ford Pinto or a Ferrari" after it is fully developed at the factory.
    A Child in the fetal stage of their life is not a pile of parts.

    Persons are not assembled. They live, grow, further develop and mature. That is, they will grow and mature if they are not killed before they get the chance.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    A Child in the fetal stage of their life is not a pile of parts.
    That is scientifically incorrect. It is not possible for a child to exist in the fetal stage of development (that would be fetuses/embryos). A child can only exist after being fully developed in the womb according to science.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Persons are not assembled. They live, grow, further develop and mature. That is, they will grow and mature if they are not killed before they get the chance.
    That is scientifically incorrect. A fetus/embryo is not homosapien according to scientific definition.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    No, it's not. Sometimes a zygote just can't develop a person because of mutated proteins. Sometimes you get twins from zygotes. Although rare, these events do happen. You get an individual at gastrulation. Does that mean it is okay to kill before that point? Frankly, I don't believe so.
    Neither do I.

    And stating that "sometimes a zygote can't develop" does not dispute the biological fact that a new organism's life begins at the moment of their conception. This is true in all mammals,... not only humans.

  5. #75
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    A Ford Pinto and a Ferrari are both cars, but a pile of parts in an auto factory is not a car just because it "could become a Ford Pinto or a Ferrari" after it is fully developed at the factory.
    No no no... it has the POTENTIAL to be a Ferrari, therefore it IS a Ferrari! Potential is all that matters. Didn't you know that??

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Neither do I.

    And stating that "sometimes a zygote can't develop" does not dispute the biological fact that a new organism's life begins at the moment of their conception. This is true in all mammals,... not only humans.
    That is scientifically incorrect. Sperm is alive according to scientific definition. But if your argument is biological, then it's meaningless, since (like you just admitted) the same is true with all mammals, but we have no problem "murdering" them for hamburgers.

  7. #77
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    That is scientifically incorrect. Sperm is alive according to scientific definition. But if your argument is biological, then it's meaningless, since (like you just admitted) the same is true with all mammals, but we have no problem "murdering" them for hamburgers.
    I ate a dead child (bacon) for breakfast this morning. Twas yummy.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Exclamation Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    That is scientifically incorrect. It is not possible for a child to exist in the fetal stage of development (that would be fetuses/embryos). A child can only exist after being fully developed in the womb according to science.


    That is scientifically incorrect. A fetus/embryo is not homosapien according to scientific definition.

    Medical Dictionary
    Main Entry: child
    Pronunciation:
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form: plural chil·dren /'chil-dr&n, -d&rn/
    1 : an unborn or recently born person
    2 : a young person especially between infancy and youth —with child :

    --Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 12-20-09 at 11:25 PM.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Medical Dictionary
    Main Entry: child
    Pronunciation:
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form: plural chil·dren /'chil-dr&n, -d&rn/
    1 : an unborn or recently born person
    2 : a young person especially between infancy and youth —with child :
    Well **** if it's the 4th definition in the Dictionary.com medical dictionary it must be right! I ****ing love semantics. but I suppose that's where the "She's with child" phrase comes from.

  10. #80
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Does life biologically begin at conception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Neither do I.

    And stating that "sometimes a zygote can't develop" does not dispute the biological fact that a new organism's life begins at the moment of their conception. This is true in all mammals,... not only humans.
    It's alive, but it's not an individual.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •