View Poll Results: Was it correct to suspend this teacher for taking the students to "Hooters" restauran

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.01%
  • No

    87 76.99%
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 465

Thread: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

  1. #71
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's a parents job to micromanage their children's lives. I might not agree with what they deem appropriate or not, but I am not going to condemn them for taking an interest. For some, Hooters might not to them be appropriate for taking kids to, both for the Hooters "theme" or just because alcohol is served there. That is a parents right, and it is predictable that a parent might object.


    I can not think of a sit down restaurant I have ever been to where alcohol is not served!! And it is parents who think it is their job to micromanage their kids lives who end up with kids incapable of managing their own lives. Kids need to be allowed to make their own decisions beyond a certain age. When they are 5, they need more supervision. But 17 year old kids, all that is doing is making them less capable people!!
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  2. #72
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Actually, the arbitrary litmus test was their website. And, I stated that their website does not have a kids menu, b/c they do not encourage kids as patrons. That is not their demo, and not their market.

    I used common sense to determine it's not a family restaurant. Not really that hard. Perhaps all y'all thinking Hooters IS a family restaurant should learn what a family restaurant is, how they market themselves, what they might use to attract that demo, and other things that would show up in a family restaurant business plan.

    Hooters' business model isn't it. :


    You are arbitrarily defining terms of what makes a restaurant a family restaurant in order to fit your argument. People take their family to hooters, it is a family restaurant. I personally would not take little kids their, but many people do.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  3. #73
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    I can not think of a sit down restaurant I have ever been to where alcohol is not served!! And it is parents who think it is their job to micromanage their kids lives who end up with kids incapable of managing their own lives. Kids need to be allowed to make their own decisions beyond a certain age. When they are 5, they need more supervision. But 17 year old kids, all that is doing is making them less capable people!!

    I find this argument to be completely besides the point. What is the issue is boundaries, and what is appropriate for a school field trip. Not whether or not kids should be allowed into a Hooters restaurant, or whether high schoolers might go there to study for final exams.

    And, I find lack of appreciation for the fact that something appropriate for one set of circumstances (personal, non-school outings) and what might be appropriate for school outings, to be evidence of lack of full maturity.

  4. #74
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    You are arbitrarily defining terms of what makes a restaurant a family restaurant in order to fit your argument. People take their family to hooters, it is a family restaurant. I personally would not take little kids their, but many people do.

    No, I'm not. People stating that Hooters is a family restaurant b/c a kid can eat a meal there are re-defining terms arbitrarily for their own benefit, and completely disregarding what a family restaurant might do, in terms of marketing, to promote a successful family restaurant model.

    Hooters is clearly a successful business model. What it is not is a family restaurant business model.

  5. #75
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I find this argument to be completely besides the point. What is the issue is boundaries, and what is appropriate for a school field trip. Not whether or not kids should be allowed into a Hooters restaurant, or whether high schoolers might go there to study for final exams.

    And, I find lack of appreciation for the fact that something appropriate for one set of circumstances (personal, non-school outings) and what might be appropriate for school outings, to be evidence of lack of full maturity.


    I find thinking boobs are icky shows a lack of maturity personally!! I find people who get offended at nonsense which does not matter to show a lack of maturity. But what are you going to do? There are boundaries which schools should not cross, but in a high school, hooters is not even close to the boundary!!
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  6. #76
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    No, I'm not. People stating that Hooters is a family restaurant b/c a kid can eat a meal there are re-defining terms arbitrarily for their own benefit, and completely disregarding what a family restaurant might do, in terms of marketing, to promote a successful family restaurant model.

    Hooters is clearly a successful business model. What it is not is a family restaurant business model.


    So you are saying since hooters is not chuckie cheese, it is not appropriate to take high schoolers there? Chuckie cheese is a family restaurant. Hooters is a restaurant which people can take their families to, just like fridays or a number of other places!!


    I personally object to the flair that people at fridays wear, I say fire all people who have ever gone to fridays for any reason!!!
    Last edited by Frodly; 12-18-09 at 09:40 PM.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

  7. #77
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    So you are saying since hooters is not chuckie cheese, it is not appropriate to take high schoolers there? Chuckie cheese is a family restaurant. Hooters is a restaurant which people can take their families to, just like fridays or a number of other places!!


    I personally object to the flair that people at fridays wear, I say fire all people who have ever gone to fridays for any reason!!!


    Chuckie Cheese is definitely a family restaurant. Hooters is definitely not. And, it is most definitely not appropriate for a high school field trip to go to Hooters.

    If you are claiming that it is (a family restaurant), it should be easy to prove that families are the target demo. What percentage of their sales are to families?
    Last edited by jackalope; 12-18-09 at 09:54 PM.

  8. #78
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frodly View Post
    I find thinking boobs are icky shows a lack of maturity personally!! I find people who get offended at nonsense which does not matter to show a lack of maturity. But what are you going to do? There are boundaries which schools should not cross, but in a high school, hooters is not even close to the boundary!!

    I am neither offended by Hooters, nor unable to take notice of the fact that it is not appropriate for a school field trip. Hooters is over the boundary.

  9. #79
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Actually, the arbitrary litmus test was their website. And, I stated that their website does not have a kids menu, b/c they do not encourage kids as patrons. That is not their demo, and not their market.

    I used common sense to determine it's not a family restaurant. Not really that hard. Perhaps all y'all thinking Hooters IS a family restaurant should learn what a family restaurant is, how they market themselves, what they might use to attract that demo, and other things that would show up in a family restaurant business plan.

    Hooters' business model isn't it. :
    so hooters does have the kid's meal that you cited as a defining indicator of a restaurant acceptable for families ... that has been proven
    but now that the facts disturb your position you choose to ignore them
    the moved goal post is that your uncommon common sense allows you to divine what constitutes family fare and any who disagree with your opinion are in error
    not a very compelling argument

  10. #80
    Educator Frodly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Last Seen
    06-26-16 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    684

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Chuckie Cheese is definitely a family restaurant. Hooters is definitely not. And, it is most definitely not appropriate for a high school field trip to go to Hooters.

    If you are claiming that it is (a family restaurant), it should be easy to prove that families are the target demo. What percentage of their sales are to families?


    Yes, I realize chuckie cheese is a family restaurant, and only restaurants of that nature seem to fit your definition of a "family restaurant" The problem with that is that if you tried to take a bunch of high school kids to a chuckie cheese they would cause a lot more trouble than they would at a hooters.
    I'm a Tarte, what!! You want some of this??

    To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead. -- Thomas Paine

Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •