View Poll Results: Was it correct to suspend this teacher for taking the students to "Hooters" restauran

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.01%
  • No

    87 76.99%
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 465

Thread: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

  1. #401
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Asking for notification is not micromanaging the school. That is being given information to make a decision about your own children.
    But why stop there. If we are going to require the schools to protect against offending an overly protective parent, lets require them to send home lesson plans, song lists for bands and choirs, just in case a parent doesn't want their child to sing a certain song.
    And while we are at it...lets send home a list of all the books in the library, just in case there is a title that offends one of the parents, that way they can put a hold on it so that the student can't check it out....or better yet, the school could burn it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #402
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not at all...the fact that they do is fine. However, you would mandate that a school HAD to do that just in case a parent wants to complain?
    Should schools have teachers send home school plans nightly so as to not offend a parent with hyper-sensitive sensibilities?
    You are being ridiculous now. Permission slips for off-campus activities is not unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #403
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    You are being ridiculous now. Permission slips for off-campus activities is not unreasonable.
    Its not ridiculous. That is essentially what many have been advocating. You have to give parents information to make a choice, right?

    I agree that permission slips to go off campus to an activity are appropriate.
    However, to micromanage every little thing that the student does on that trip, beginning with where they eat or stop to pee is just silly.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #404
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not ridiculous. That is essentially what many have been advocating. You have to give parents information to make a choice, right?

    I agree that permission slips to go off campus to an activity are appropriate.
    However, to micromanage every little thing that the student does on that trip, beginning with where they eat or stop to pee is just silly.
    It's not micromanagement. The parent only gives permission for their own child. Everyone else is free to make that decision on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #405
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not at all...the fact that they do is fine. However, you would mandate that a school HAD to do that just in case a parent wants to complain?
    Should schools have teachers send home school plans nightly so as to not offend a parent with hyper-sensitive sensibilities?
    How about not exaggerating the issue here.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #406
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    But why stop there. If we are going to require the schools to protect against offending an overly protective parent, lets require them to send home lesson plans, song lists for bands and choirs, just in case a parent doesn't want their child to sing a certain song.
    And while we are at it...lets send home a list of all the books in the library, just in case there is a title that offends one of the parents, that way they can put a hold on it so that the student can't check it out....or better yet, the school could burn it.
    Is any one calling for any of that crap? No. So why even go there. Why not actually talk about this issue, which is special events off campus, and permission slips, which are already required.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #407
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not ridiculous. That is essentially what many have been advocating. You have to give parents information to make a choice, right?

    I agree that permission slips to go off campus to an activity are appropriate.
    However, to micromanage every little thing that the student does on that trip, beginning with where they eat or stop to pee is just silly.
    That is not what any one has been advocating. Don't go building that strawman.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #408
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not what any one has been advocating. Don't go building that strawman.
    Sure it is. Are you suggesting that there are decisions that a school can make without informing the parents?
    Do you draw the line simply at off-campus activities?

    What if kids go to a weekend debate tournament. At the lunch break, there are a number of restaurants down the street. Do you require the school to pre-approve which of these places are OK for the kids to patronize. Should the school be required to get a list of all the restaurants in a 1 mile radius and submit it to the parents to check off which restaurants they approve of?

    What if the teacher hadn't gone, but it was found out that some of the students went to "Hooters" on their lunch break. Should the teacher be suspended or otherwise reprimanded for not properly supervising and/or otherwise preventing the students from going there?
    Last edited by disneydude; 12-24-09 at 10:03 AM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #409
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Is any one calling for any of that crap? No. So why even go there. Why not actually talk about this issue, which is special events off campus, and permission slips, which are already required.
    are you trying to tell us that tyhe complaining parent had not already authorized their child to take the trip under the teacher's supervision

    you, like the complaining parent, want to monday morning quarterback
    you admit you don't want information to be sent home about all activities
    you only want the teacher to be suspended if they do anything the parent would LATER complain about on a selective basis - as selected by a complaining parent
    the teacher took the kids to a legal establishment
    and few seem to recognize that it was but one child's parents who had an issue. had the bulk of the parents objected, then we would recognize what happened was against societal mores - but that was not the case
    and it is not clear cut - as can be evidenced by the diverse opinions within this thread
    the school administration caved

  10. #410
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sure it is. Are you suggesting that there are decisions that a school can make without informing the parents?
    Do you draw the line simply at off-campus activities?

    What if kids go to a weekend debate tournament. At the lunch break, there are a number of restaurants down the street. Do you require the school to pre-approve which of these places are OK for the kids to patronize. Should the school be required to get a list of all the restaurants in a 1 mile radius and submit it to the parents to check off which restaurants they approve of?
    Was this a week long event? No. So what relevance does it have to the discussion? None.

    Note that I have not had to resort to exaggeration to make my point. Note I have not had to resort to misrepresenting any ones position. Note that I am not the one who is trying to force my values on others. Those are all you, and a sure sign of just how weak your position is.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •