View Poll Results: Was it correct to suspend this teacher for taking the students to "Hooters" restauran

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 23.01%
  • No

    87 76.99%
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 465

Thread: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

  1. #291
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not a matter of how hard or how easy it is. It is more of a question of What is required. Your experience is different than mine. I went on many trips that included a general itinerary, but didn't include every stop that we made or every restaurant we ate at. I think in a foreign country it might be more common to include that, because you are going on a tour and even for adults those types of things are common.

    If you are going on a day trip, the most common thing that I saw growing up was a notice on the permisison slip that we would be away for the day and the child should either bring money for lunch or pack a lunch.

    Schools shouldn't have to try to accommodate every parent/child's sensibilities. As long as the establishment is open to all ages...it is all age appropriate and the school shouldn't have to justify its decisions.
    The parent has to have enough respect and know their child well enough to make the decision that is appropriate for them. THAT opportunity was afforded to the offended child here. At high school age, they have to be able to make SOME decisions on their own. Parents cannot make every decision for them.
    In your opinion, it is appropriate. It is not your right to decide that for other families. And neither is it the teacher's.

    High schoolers make plenty of decisions on their own. Parents make decisions about schooling, and school sponsored trips are schooling, and require parental permission.

  2. #292
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    In your opinion, it is appropriate. It is not your right to decide that for other families. And neither is it the teacher's.

    High schoolers make plenty of decisions on their own. Parents make decisions about schooling, and school sponsored trips are schooling, and require parental permission.
    I'm not saying that it is....but it is ALSO not your right to dictate what is appropriate or not for anyone else.
    Schools should not have to be so overly hypervigilant to protect against offending every sensibility or whim of an overprotective parent.

    Its simple...if you want to shelter your child, don't allow them to participate in any activities....put them in a private school that meets your sensibilities...or better yet, homeschool them and prevent any influence at all that might offend you from encountering them.

    BTW....obviously every other parent had no issue with it. Why is it OK with you to allow this one parent to dictate what is appropriate for their children?
    Last edited by disneydude; 12-21-09 at 03:31 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #293
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not saying that it is....but it is ALSO not your right to dictate what is appropriate or not for anyone else.
    Schools should not have to be so overly hypervigilant to protect against offending every sensibility or whim of an overprotective parent.

    Its simple...if you want to shelter your child, don't allow them to participate in any activities....put them in a private school that meets your sensibilities...or better yet, homeschool them and prevent any influence at all that might offend you from encountering them.

    BTW....obviously every other parent had no issue with it. Why is it OK with you to allow this one parent to dictate what is appropriate for their children?
    Who the hell is dictating for other children? The parent was upset because they could not dictate for their own child. The teacher was suspended for being a dumbass. No one is dictating what students can do with parental permission. if the parent does not give permission for their child, only that child is affected.

    Schools should be super vigilant to the needs and morals of the parents of the children attending. it's part of their damn job.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #294
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Who the hell is dictating for other children? The parent was upset because they could not dictate for their own child. The teacher was suspended for being a dumbass. No one is dictating what students can do with parental permission. if the parent does not give permission for their child, only that child is affected.

    Schools should be super vigilant to the needs and morals of the parents of the children attending. it's part of their damn job.
    No. The teacher was suspended because some over-protective parent got their panties in a tissy because their son didn't exercise his free-will and option to choose a restaurant that his parents would have approved of.
    Not dictating? Please...these parents complained because they want to make sure that their view of what is appropriate is put on every other parent and their children.
    Maybe these parents should spend more time educating their son and teaching him how to respond when their sensibilities are offended rather than requiring the school to be a babysitter on their behalf and follow their standards of appropriateness. Just sayin.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #295
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No. The teacher was suspended because some over-protective parent got their panties in a tissy because their son didn't exercise his free-will and option to choose a restaurant that his parents would have approved of.[
    Your article does not say this. You have a source? It does say that the choir teacher chose the restaurant, not the students.

    Not dictating? Please...these parents complained because they want to make sure that their view of what is appropriate is put on every other parent and their children.
    Really? You can prove this claim? It's a pretty strong claim, I would think you could show at least some evidence it is true. The article you link does nothing to suggest it is true. Without evidence, I think it is far more likely that any parental complaint is over where their children went, not an attempt to control the whole districts children.

    Maybe these parents should spend more time educating their son and teaching him how to respond when their sensibilities are offended rather than requiring the school to be a babysitter on their behalf and follow their standards of appropriateness. Just sayin.
    Ain't your place to tell any one how to raise their children. You would be the first person to throw a fit if some one tried to tell you how to raise your children, and in that case, you would be right.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #296
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    I'm not telling anyone how to raise their child. All I am saying is that it is not the school's responsibility to try to accomodate every sensibility and whim that a parent has.
    As a parent, you do your best to raise your children the way that you believe is appropriate and hopefully you instill some values in them as well.
    At some point, you have to trust you child to make decisions for themselves. If they disappoint you in their decision making, then you should direct that towards them and teach them...not direct it towards the school.

    Again...there was nothing "offensive" about the choice of restaurant as evidenced by the fact that no other parent complained...and as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of responses here on this poll.

    Parents need to understand that it is their responsiblity not the school's to babysit their children. If you want to protect your child from making a decision that you disagree with, the option is simple.....keep them at home.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #297
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not telling anyone how to raise their child. All I am saying is that it is not the school's responsibility to try to accomodate every sensibility and whim that a parent has.
    As a parent, you do your best to raise your children the way that you believe is appropriate and hopefully you instill some values in them as well.
    At some point, you have to trust you child to make decisions for themselves. If they disappoint you in their decision making, then you should direct that towards them and teach them...not direct it towards the school.

    Again...there was nothing "offensive" about the choice of restaurant as evidenced by the fact that no other parent complained...and as evidenced by the overwhelming majority of responses here on this poll.

    Parents need to understand that it is their responsiblity not the school's to babysit their children. If you want to protect your child from making a decision that you disagree with, the option is simple.....keep them at home.
    You offered child rearing advice, yes you did. You suggest that schools should not have to notify parents about trips, which is taking away from a parent their right to determine what is right for their child.

    It is the schools responsibility to give parents enough information to make an informed decision about their own child. It is not the job of the school to assume they know best.

    Again, whether Hooters is offensive is in the eye of the beholder. It's not your place to make moral judgments for others. Just because you are not offended does not mean others will not be. Don't make blanket statements like that, it's a weak argument. This thread, and the replies in it are proof that not every one agrees with you that hooters is not offensive. How would you react if some one made a moral judgment for you?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #298
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You offered child rearing advice...
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #299
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You offered child rearing advice, yes you did. You suggest that schools should not have to notify parents about trips, which is taking away from a parent their right to determine what is right for their child.

    It is the schools responsibility to give parents enough information to make an informed decision about their own child. It is not the job of the school to assume they know best.

    Again, whether Hooters is offensive is in the eye of the beholder. It's not your place to make moral judgments for others. Just because you are not offended does not mean others will not be. Don't make blanket statements like that, it's a weak argument. This thread, and the replies in it are proof that not every one agrees with you that hooters is not offensive. How would you react if some one made a moral judgment for you?
    Absolutely. Schools should not have to include every single minute detail regarding every decision they make. (Can you imagine if schools had to send home the next days lesson plans every day in order to have them pre-approved by parents, so as not to offend their sensibilities)?

    It is the parents responsibility to parent their own child, not to push off that responsibility on the school. If you teach your child well, they will respond to what you would expect them to.

    In this case, the child obviously either was not parented well or went against what his parents taught him. No one forced him to go to Hooters to have his parent's sensibilities offended. In fact, he was given other options and chose to go.

    I am not the one trying to place moral judgement on anything. The people that are doing that are the ones that find Hooters offensive to them and seek to impose that belief on others. If you find Hooters offensive...then simple....don't go. If you find Hooters inappropriate for your child, then teach them appropriately, don't expect the school to be your policing agency.

    I make moral judgements for no one other than myself and expect others to have that same respect for me. I find it offensive that one parent is seeking to have their views of what is appropriate applied to all.

    The school/teacher made a decision that was within their bounds. This was an all-age establishment and thus....appropriate for all ages. The fact that one parent found that it offended their sensibilities....oh well......then teach your child to honor your standards or keep them home and sheltered so that you can ensure that they do.
    Last edited by disneydude; 12-21-09 at 04:28 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #300
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hooters - should this teacher be suspended for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Absolutely. Schools should not have to include every single minute detail regarding every decision they make.
    Straw man. No one is saying this, they are saying parents should be notified of trip itineraries, which is very doable and easy.

    It is the parents responsibility to parent their own child, not to push off that responsibility on the school. If you teach your child well, they will respond to what you would expect them to.
    Both the school and the parent have responsibilities. In this case the school did not live up to it's responsibility. Again, planning is trivial, and was trivial back before the internets made it especially easy.

    In this case, the child obviously either was not parented well or went against what his parents taught him. No one forced him to go to Hooters to have his parent's sensibilities offended. In fact, he was given other options and chose to go.
    He was? Where did this information come from? Not from the article you linked. Do children ever do what their parents would not approve of? Of course they do, especially in peer pressure situations.

    I am not the one trying to place moral judgement on anything. The people that are doing that are the ones that find Hooters offensive to them and seek to impose that belief on others. If you find Hooters offensive...then simple....don't go. If you find Hooters inappropriate for your child, then teach them appropriately, don't expect the school to be your policing agency.
    Again, you spin and do not address what is being said, and are mistaken to boot. When you said "here was nothing 'offensive' about the choice of restaurant", that is making a moral judgment, which you are then trying to force onto others by taking away their right to choose. The school would not "have to police" if it did something as trivial as notify parents of where their kids are going off campus on a school trip. Then parents could police their own kids, as is appropriate.

    I make moral judgements for no one other than myself and expect others to have that same respect for me. I find it offensive that one parent is seeking to have their views of what is appropriate applied to all.
    You have yet to show this to be the case. The parent could, and most likely probably was upset that their choice for their child was not respected. There is no evidence in your article, nor in any of your posts that any one is trying to force their morality on any one but their own kids in this case.

    The school/teacher made a decision that was within their bounds. This was an all-age establishment and thus....appropriate for all ages. The fact that one parent found that it offended their sensibilities....oh well......then teach your child to honor your standards or keep them home and sheltered so that you can ensure that they do.
    it is your opinion that it was appropriate. others disagree.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •